What's new

Rex Ambassador US Tour pass around...

That does not look good. Perhaps something is out of alignment internally or the spring is not seating properly. I made sure before the razor went out on the tour that it was pefect in every aspect.

When I get it in I'll just tear it down and perform a basic clean and tune. It's not that hard to perform. Everyone is a little different in how they use a razor and how it's cleaned and stored. It shouldn't be a problem aligning it correctly.

That does not look good. Perhaps something is out of alignment internally or the spring is not seating properly. I made sure before the razor went out on the tour that it was pefect in every aspect.

When I get it in I'll just tear it down and perform a basic clean and tune. It's not that hard to perform. Everyone is a little different in how they use a razor and how it's cleaned and stored. It shouldn't be a problem aligning it correctly.
Well never been around 1 I wasn't sure but I thought I noticed something,. And that's what it seems to me like the spring isn't holding it up tight enough or something of the sort. I Believe it probably balances itself out as your shaving kind of like a teeter totter with two equal weights, it's almost like a little bit stronger string would pin it up or it could not do that just what my thought was not knowing a hill of beans about it, ( an old-time saying from the Ozarks for you)

10/30/18

Ambassador US Tour List:

Group One:

1. @ShavePastor (completed)
2. @Dave in KY (completed)
3. @Graydog (completed)
4. @NJDJ (completed)
5. @ED3054 (completed)
6. @JTshaves (completed)
7. @Sharp_Obsession (completed)
8. @Keto (in hand testing)

These are the first 8 gents to sign on. A pm or a post here will get you on gents...

Here is the formation of the second group. Like I stated in a few posts before this one, the tour will be broken into 8 week sections so that I can reel in the Rex and go over it if it needs a deep cleaning/tuning etc.

Group Two:
1. @Rory1262
2. @Grundi
3. @dezmil
4. @Clay S
5. @simon_zzz
6. @Feynmansbongos
7. @emwolf
8. @PJO

2 groups are complete so that puts the tour at about a 20-22 week run plus/minus a week for the haul in.

I already have a reserve list started and if any participants in the first 2 groups need to switch out or drop out of the tour, everyone moves up including those in the reserve list.

Reserve List:

1. @Odenihy
2. @dfoulk
3. @Clark Finestead
4. @bobmsp
5. @DCRIII
6. @TheVez2
7. @dmshaver
8. @Mataddor
9. @mozartman
10. @boilerphan
11. @Ray Settanta
12. @cyberdog
13. @CzechCzar
14. @Cut Throat

A member asked to be removed from the list, @Heron. So everyone else gets to move up a spot from the reserve list and @PJO jumps into group 2. The first group is just about done and the second group will be starting within a week or so. I’ll be in touch with the first person in that group to start up the 2nd groups run once I’ve done a razor clean and tune on the Rex....

Get your shave on Gents.... :shaving:

Today was a two-day shave using B&M Lavanille, Rapira Platinum Lux blade , and the Rex.
I start of off on setting #5, WTG, somewhere during the past I did notice I was at 5.5 so at that point I just dialed it on down to about 4.5. I'm not sure how I managed to change the setting, but I didn't feel like it was a major issue either as I could learn to do better with that. I think it was like 4.5 setting or so as I continued on with the next XTG pass and ATG also. It all seemed pretty good and smooth the first time I've used a Rapira blade too. I generally don't change more than one thing in a shave, if I'm testing a product for the first time. I think I was about setting #4 around the mustache area and setting#2 on my trouble spots around the middle of the lower chin. Bottom line I got a pretty good shave, the Rex has helped me to make some substantial gains toward a better shave, particularly in the neck area today.
I think I found a better tool for the job, than what I use daily.
The next shave will be Friday.

Bet the alignment is simply the spring needs to be flipped or rotated 180 degrees. The exact same thing happens to the Mingshi, QShave, and from what I've heard a couple people say the genuine Futur on occasion. Maybe something in the spring loaded floating head design, where the spring needs to be 'clocked' in the right position for the blade to be level.

Bet the alignment is simply the spring needs to be flipped or rotated 180 degrees. The exact same thing happens to the Mingshi, QShave, and from what I've heard a couple people say the genuine Futur on occasion. Maybe something in the spring loaded floating head design, where the spring needs to be 'clocked' in the right position for the blade to be level.
Probably something simple like that, just not letting it go exactly where it should be.. I could not tell in the shave though. I think it balances out.

If anybody wants to know shave this morning with the Rex 4.5 setting all the way through, with the Gillette yellow blade, WhollyKaw Agrumi in Estate soap ( good residual slickness ) turned out to be a really good shave.
In my opinion it's very smooth razor. I like the adjustability and the weight. Would I buy one? The newsletter with a discount would help, they are pricey at $249 +tax. I don't know if it will happen, the Karve is looking appealing at this point. .
Rex is moved out to the owner before the next group. Thanks much GlazedBoker for your generosity. Adios amigos

If anybody wants to know shave this morning with the Rex 4.5 setting all the way through, with the Gillette yellow blade, WhollyKaw Agrumi in Estate soap ( good residual slickness ) turned out to be a really good shave.
In my opinion it's very smooth razor. I like the adjustability and the weight. Would I buy one? The newsletter with a discount would help, they are pricey at $249 +tax. I don't know if it will happen, the Karve is looking appealing at this point. .
Rex is moved out to the owner before the next group. Thanks much GlazedBoker for your generosity. Adios amigos

Good and honest reviews there bud. That’s all that can be asked for.
Happy shaves.... :thumbup1:

11/9/18

Ambassador US Tour List:

Group One:

3. @Graydog (completed)
4. @NJDJ (completed)
5. @ED3054 (completed)
6. @JTshaves (completed)
8. @Keto (completed)

These are the first 8 gents to sign on. A pm or a post here will get you on gents...

Here is the formation of the second group. Like I stated in a few posts before this one, the tour will be broken into 8 week sections so that I can reel in the Rex and go over it if it needs a deep cleaning/tuning etc.

Group Two:
1. @Rory1262 (en route too)
2. @Grundi (on deck)
3. @dezmil (in the hole)
4. @Clay S
5. @simon_zzz
6. @Feynmansbongos
7. @emwolf
8. @PJO

2 groups are complete so that puts the tour at about a 20-22 week run plus/minus a week for the haul in.

I already have a reserve list started and if any participants in the first 2 groups need to switch out or drop out of the tour, everyone moves up including those in the reserve list.

Reserve List:

1. @Odenihy
2. @dfoulk
3. @Clark Finestead
4. @bobmsp
5. @DCRIII
6. @TheVez2
7. @dmshaver
8. @Mataddor
9. @mozartman
10. @boilerphan
11. @Ray Settanta
12. @cyberdog
13. @CzechCzar
14. @Cut Throat

Had the razor for a couple of days and addressed the alignment issue which was a minor thing. Got it tuned, cleaned, sanitized and it was ready to go to the next member participant @Rory1262 as it was mailed out to him today.

Pics of the razor below. There should be no alignment issues as long as the razor isn’t dropped or someone attempts to disassemble the razor. Pics below show alignment and even blade exposure on both sides.......

E2484E9C-C54E-425F-86B4-310B9CE91F67.jpeg
F3E3CDA8-6290-4B0F-A58F-55687391F7A2.jpeg
3920B4C1-AD63-4DDF-B859-FC9AECD7395D.jpeg
8317AA9A-9975-4FAC-A7FE-BC29F72929A2.jpeg
FB47FE49-AA6D-4557-85C5-DEDD4677F39D.jpeg
9A1AB1C9-750D-4EFF-8C22-736CAB41C3AB.jpeg

The second group and round 2 of this pass around is underway fellow wet shavers.

Get your shave on Shavers....... :shaving:

11/9/18

Ambassador US Tour List:

Group One:

3. @Graydog (completed)
4. @NJDJ (completed)
5. @ED3054 (completed)
6. @JTshaves (completed)
8. @Keto (completed)

Group Two:
2. @Grundi (on deck)
3. @dezmil (in the hole)
4. @Clay S
5. @simon_zzz
6. @Feynmansbongos
7. @emwolf
8. @PJO

Reserve List:

1. @Odenihy
2. @dfoulk
3. @Clark Finestead
4. @bobmsp
5. @DCRIII
6. @TheVez2
7. @dmshaver
8. @Mataddor
9. @mozartman
10. @boilerphan
11. @Ray Settanta
12. @cyberdog
13. @CzechCzar
14. @Cut Throat

Had the razor for a couple of days and addressed the alignment issue which was a minor thing. Got it tuned, cleaned, sanitized and it was ready to go to the next member participant @Rory1262 as it was mailed out to him today.

Pics of the razor below. There should be no alignment issues as long as the razor isn’t dropped or someone attempts to disassemble the razor. Pics below show alignment and even blade exposure on both sides.......

View attachment 926835 View attachment 926836 View attachment 926837 View attachment 926838 View attachment 926839 View attachment 926840

The second group and round 2 of this pass around is underway fellow wet shavers.

That's a beauty of a razor!! Excited for my turn coming soon!! Nice job cleaning and tuning the Rex!!

11/9/18

Ambassador US Tour List:

Group One:

3. @Graydog (completed)
4. @NJDJ (completed)
5. @ED3054 (completed)
6. @JTshaves (completed)
8. @Keto (completed)

Group Two:
2. @Grundi (on deck)
3. @dezmil (in the hole)
4. @Clay S
5. @simon_zzz
6. @Feynmansbongos
7. @emwolf
8. @PJO

Reserve List:

1. @Odenihy
2. @dfoulk
3. @Clark Finestead
4. @bobmsp
5. @DCRIII
6. @TheVez2
7. @dmshaver
8. @Mataddor
9. @mozartman
10. @boilerphan
11. @Ray Settanta
12. @cyberdog
13. @CzechCzar
14. @Cut Throat

View attachment 926835 View attachment 926836 View attachment 926837 View attachment 926838 View attachment 926839 View attachment 926840

Good deal. Looks great!

First, thanks to Gus for all the effort he's expended on B&B's behalf here.
It was also nice to see the blades and samples accompany the razor.

Upon opening the box, I was impressed with the tool's looks -- it is beautifully made.
The knurling and finish are really something to see.

It is hefty without being a tank. It's still maneuverable.
That's especially important to me now because I'm doing the Movember thing.
Some might say that's unfortunate in terms of the timing of my turn on this tour, but I don't feel that way.

I chose a Polsilver blade, which I happen to think is the best among those I've tried. I was glad to see the tuck.
Loading it was easy. I have a notion that the extra-long post on the top cap really helps keep the blade firmly seated.

I saw that one user talked about "hot" shaves with the Polsilver, so I chose the middle setting, 3.
(It's also interesting to see that there are no clicks while adjusting -- unlike, say, the Slim.)

While the 'stache grows, I've been using a brushless semitransparent cream, Andalou.
No discomfort whatsoever with this shave, and the razor is very effective on tricky spots like the hollows of the throat.

All in all, I was well pleased with this first outing.

Upon opening the box, I was impressed with the tool's looks -- it is beautifully made.

Some might say that's unfortunate in terms of the timing of my turn on this tour, but I don't feel that way.

I chose a Polsilver blade, which I happen to think is the best among those I've tried. I was glad to see the tuck.
Loading it was easy. I have a notion that the extra-long post on the top cap really helps keep the blade firmly seated.

I saw that one user talked about "hot" shaves with the Polsilver, so I chose the middle setting, 3.
(It's also interesting to see that there are no clicks while adjusting -- unlike, say, the Slim.)

While the 'stache grows, I've been using a brushless semitransparent cream, Andalou.
No discomfort whatsoever with this shave, and the razor is very effective on tricky spots like the hollows of the throat.

Nice write up! This razor for me is so smooth anywhere between 2 & 3. Don't be afraid to go lower than 3 as you may find it still efficient and yet even smoother!

Good review!!

Nice write up! This razor for me is so smooth anywhere between 2 & 3. Don't be afraid to go lower than 3 as you may find it still efficient and yet even smoother!
Taking notes...

For Day 2, I followed the suggestion to dial down to 2 from @ShavePastor.
He's right: just as smooth if not more so, and no loss in efficacy (well, maybe a tad in the tricky spots I mentioned).

Something else I'd like to mention is the size and shape of the cap.
I like how the blade tabs don't protrude at all...the cutting surface is really integrated well into the whole head.
I have to believe this also contributes to smoothness.

For Day 2, I followed the suggestion to dial down to 2 from @ShavePastor.
He's right: just as smooth if not more so, and no loss in efficacy (well, maybe a tad in the tricky spots I mentioned).

Something else I'd like to mention is the size and shape of the cap.
I like how the blade tabs don't protrude at all...the cutting surface is really integrated well into the whole head.
I have to believe this also contributes to smoothness.

Sweet! Glad you are enjoying it. The Rex is just a phenomenal razor that was well thought out and the earlier bugs and minor tweaks seemed to have been all worked out. This is a razor I can recommend to both newbs and veterans.

Top Bottom