What's new

Replica watches...what do you think?

To the contrary, most replica watches are cheap, poorly made junk. Most people think of a "good watch" as one that keeps OK time and will wear for a while then throw away. In that sense, they're "good." Most replicas I've seen are really cheap - cheap mineral glass rather than sapphire crystals, cheap bracelets that soon fall apart, cheap springbars that fail or bend and cheap Chinese automatic movements or cheap quartz movements, etc. There are high-end replicas that are scary-close to originals, but they are expensive and use ETA movements. They cost over $1000 for a Rolex Sub replica - at that price point, I'd rather invest in a real, quality watch brand.

You keep arguing that replicas are crappy watches. In most cases, they're not. In most cases, they're well made (sometimes better than the watch they're copying), and keep better time than the original. They just aren't real.

We have a lot of great responses here. I think the overwhelming sentiment is negative toward fake watches. I certainly see your points of view. A few comments though.

1) It's very presumptuous to assume that someone wearing an expensive watch is elitist, shallow, or trying to send a message. A watch is a very personal item that is not seen by many and it's not intended to be. It's a functional tool that incorporates art and design. A watch is not meant to be a showpiece.

2) Homage watches, in my opinion, are no better than fakes. An homage watch simply steals the design of another and puts their name on it. Fakes at least still have the name of the company giving them credit. This one was kind of tongue in cheek.

3) Classifying someone who will wear a replica as a phony, poseur, pretender, dishonest, sucker, charlatan,...etc, is a little harsh. I have three and will wear them from time to time. I'm not trying to show off in any way, just like the design of the watch. Replicas are not my main rotation, but they are fun.

One question...if you see a watch design that you really like but is more money than you want to spend, will you just buy another brand that looks like it? I really don't see much difference there. both would in effect be copies.

Shallow Elitism because someone wears a Rolex :laugh:

Many watch collectors consider Rolex to be an "Entry level" brand.

Spending more than $500 on a watch...I was blessed enough to buy these Rolex watches and have a few dollars left over.
proxy.php

proxy.php

Thanks for essentially proving the point. What is your post if not shallow elitism? The only thing I derived from your post is that you have a lot of money. Good for you. But lording your wealth over others is precisely what "shallow elitism" means. It's nothing more than a more expensive version of a middle school "pissing contest": "Look at me! I'm rich! I'm successful!" Why should somebody else care? What possible benefit is the not-so-rich individual supposed to get from displays of wealth?

And then you wonder why people accuse the wealthy of shallow elitism.:lol:

I'm assuming you didn't know when you posted that there would only be one answer to that question here? :tongue_sm

To play devil's advocate, sometimes you just like the look of the thing and have no real interest in paying full freight (or the associated upkeep). For example, I like Bell & Ross watches but don't like them for four bones. To me, B&R make fashion watches. Would I buy a $250 quality knock-off? Maybe not. But at $50, it'd be tempting.

Would I admit it was a fake? Sure. Would I feel bad in the least? Nope. B&R were never getting my money anyway.

Thanks for essentially proving the point. What is your post if not shallow elitism? The only thing I derived from your post is that you have a lot of money. Good for you. But lording your wealth over others is precisely what "shallow elitism" means. It's nothing more than a more expensive version of a middle school "pissing contest": "Look at me! I'm rich! I'm successful!" Why should somebody else care? What possible benefit is the not-so-rich individual supposed to get from displays of wealth?

And then you wonder why people accuse the wealthy of shallow elitism.:lol:

No, I'm not rich by any means. Well, I do have lots of friends so :thumbup1:
The point of the post was a joke :lol:
I took those pics because of folks on other forums posting about Rolex watches being so expensive, and that their owners spent all their money on a watch. Just trying to show that maybe all the money wasn't spent on a watch.
Are Rolex watches really that expensive? I'd guess it depends. Anyone with decent credit should be able to take any of their credit cards into a Rolex AD and walk out with the watch of their choice. Make the payments and in about 3 lifetimes the watch will be paid off :blink:
Simple math told me that if I quit spending money everyday on Starbucks, lunch, and vending machines I could easily pay for a nice watch in about 2 years. Now, maybe that Rolex, Omega, IWC, JLC, etc just became a little more affordable. It's worked for me at least a dozen times. You don't have to be rich to afford luxury items...you just have to design a plan and follow it through.

I'm surprised that this issue is even being discussed on B&B. No self-respecting person with any pretensions to being a man would ever wear a fake watch. Sadly, some people don't see why this is so. To them I would point out something else: breaking the law can get you into trouble. I spend a lot of time going in and out of airports all over the world. There are posters everywhere warning against counterfeit goods. In Paris, where I live, I see customs officers glancing at the wrists of arriving passengers. I own two high-end watches, an IWC Mark XII and a steel Cartier Santos. The latter is widely faked and, a few years ago I was pulled over by the inspectors even though I was dressed for business. The fines, they told me, are very high.

But the threat of being fined and humiliated should not be the reason for shunning dishonesty. Anyone who does not understand this should worry less about brushes and creams, and more about the basic principles that define a gentleman.

I wouldn't be caught dead with a 'fake' watch.

On the other hand I have no problem with 'tribute' or 'homage' watches, that are inspired by classics but carry their own brand.

Tributes to the Rolex Submariner are everywhere, there are many of them I like.

On the other hand I have no problem with 'tribute' or 'homage' watches, that are inspired by classics but carry their own brand.

I'll go there. It's more about the look than the marque.

Still don't have a problem with fakes, though (if worn for suitably unpretentious reasons). And while they'll never publicly admit it, neither do some of the top brands--back-channel marketing's more effective than you think.

I'm surprised that this issue is even being discussed on B&B. No self-respecting person with any pretensions to being a man would ever wear a fake watch. Sadly, some people don't see why this is so. To them I would point out something else: breaking the law can get you into trouble. I spend a lot of time going in and out of airports all over the world. There are posters everywhere warning against counterfeit goods. In Paris, where I live, I see customs officers glancing at the wrists of arriving passengers. I own two high-end watches, an IWC Mark XII and a steel Cartier Santos. The latter is widely faked and, a few years ago I was pulled over by the inspectors even though I was dressed for business. The fines, they told me, are very high.

But the threat of being fined and humiliated should not be the reason for shunning dishonesty. Anyone who does not understand this should worry less about brushes and creams, and more about the basic principles that define a gentleman.

A thought. What you describe above may be a result of companies like Cartier (and others) lobbying the government to enact and enforce legislation that may not be in the best interest of the public.

I have friends who buy these sometimes. They announce them at the office. "Look at this knock-off I got in Shanghai." They are not trying to impress anyone with a fake Rolex. I have no problem with this. They even tell stories about the street vendor they bought the item from.

Wearing a fake Rolex without the humor is pathetic. People who own Rolex's will know it is a cheap watch. The only people likely to be impressed are people who have never seen the real thing up close. What's the point of that?

I bought my PAM for the appreciation of a finely crafted watch with a neat historical plug and it's elegant, timeless design.

I've been yearning for another piece to add to the collection, but it is a waiting game now to save enough disposable income for it. I feel that the hunt is another enjoyable part of finding a truly remarkable piece, I waited about 8 months to get the funds together and another 5 to find the exact model I wanted at the price I was willing to pay.

If you wear a fake and you're not a poseur, then what are you? You're pretending to be someone you are not with something that is not what it appears to be. That's phony, plain and simple. Who are you trying to impress?

You're also overlooking a lot of quality watches that fit your budget. Watches that will get compliments and admiration. I don't wear it much, but I have an older Swiss Hamilton auto I got for $40 some years ago. It's a great watch. Looks good, is dead reliable and some watch geeks I know think it's cool because these are mostly overlooked but are good watches. There are hundreds of watch models out there like that.

Also, keep in mind that even the most popular brands don't elicit the most positive reactions. Ask around what people think of Rolex wearers and you will get a variety of reactions - not all positive.

If all you want is "style," then you're not looking hard enough. There are tons of watches in the $300-$1,000 range for every taste. You just have to find them. If you're trying to convey success, you'd have a hard time going wrong with a vintage Omega Constellation, or maybe an older IWC or Zenith. There are plenty available. You just have to make an effort. Any of them will speak volumes to watch geeks, you'll have pride of ownership and - more often than not - service costs will be significantly less than for new watches. There is no reason to buy a fake.

Homage watches are OK. My take on them is that the manufacturers are showing a lack of creativity. They should hire a designer who will make their brand unique and desireable. Quite a few small shops have gone this route and have turned into premium brands. Sinn started relatively small, but has grown quite a bit and enjoys a lot of popularity. On weekends, I usually wear a Sinn 656. It has inspired a few homage watches over the years, but the original remains reasonably priced.

If you wear a fake and you're not a poseur, then what are you? You're pretending to be someone you are not with something that is not what it appears to be. That's phony, plain and simple. Who are you trying to impress?

I think the disconnect is that a lot of watch aficionados think that everyone wears timepieces for the same reason.

Not everyone loves to marvel at mechanical intricacy, nor does everyone define themselves by their choice of accessory. Watches are jewelry for men. Some guys just like the look.

Similarly, some guys like cartridges because they can get their shave and be out in five. Just not you.

Last edited:
Many watch collectors consider Rolex to be an "Entry level" brand.

Out of curiosity, what brands would these collectors consider "serious level" watches?

Btw, I hate anything fake. Here is a small anecdote. On a birthday of mine many a couple of years ago, I received a pretty nice Adidas shirt from a brother-in-law. The guy kept bragging to the whole family how he bought me this expensive shirt and on and on for months. So one day I decide to wear it at work since it really looked nice. That same day I had a meeting with an important customer about software pirating and security. 20 minutes into the meeting and I was noticing that the customer was looking awfully a lot at my shirt and he finally asked me "why does it say Abibas" on your shirt, is that a counterfeit?

Needless to say, I felt really small and I explained to him that it was a gift and that I was not aware it was not a genuine article. Gladly he believed me. I mean, WTH!!! How cheap you have to be to buy a fake shirt that would cost 50$ tops brand new!!

Moral of the story, DO NOT gift anyone fake objects and not tell them that they are fake, this is a really low and cheap tactic to get undeserved credit.

Last edited:
Top Bottom