What's new

Clone DE what do you think?

Well I will ask again as I still have no reply to question?

Was the Gibbs Design protected by PATENT?

If not it is in public domain, no harm copying.

Maybe someone with knowledge of history will reply?
Gibbs did hold a patent on their adjustable back in 1942 and is now and has been expired for some time but this is just moot here and for some fantastical reason you seem to think Razor Emporium has a patent on the Rex which is not true as they don't have a patent!!

I will ask again to you the same as others have asked and you still haven't answered....

Why do you think its ok for Matt to copy a razor design, yet its not ok for Yaqi to do it?

Well, yeah--King C. Gillette invented the DE razor and was granted a patent because it was unique and new to the world (or at least he was the first who thought to patent it). I have a barbershop themed room in my house and have a pictures of patent art designs for the Gillette DE and a French spine straight razor. Those designs were protected for 20 years after the patent was granted. Gillette can keep stamping the original patent number on any new razors they decide to produce, but it's no longer an enforceable patent.

If Rex, Karve or anyone else was actually granted a patent, I'm sure they'd enforce it--but they haven't done anything new that isn't based on prior products in the market. The best they can get right now is a trademark on the branding and I'm sure they'd work to enforce that if a Chinese clone tried to steal their branding.
A patent is only as good as your ability to enforce it. If someone steals your idea but can afford better lawyers than you can, you're SOL.

So a decision to seek out a patent takes the above into consideration.

Sometimes, for a small business, your best "patent" is your reputation.

... Thom

Last edited:
Gibbs did hold a patent on their adjustable back in 1942 and is now and has been expired for some time but this is just moot here and for some fantastical reason you seem to think Razor Emporium has a patent on the Rex which is not true as they don't have a patent!!

I will ask again to you the same as others have asked and you still haven't answered....

Why do you think its ok for Matt to copy a razor design, yet its not ok for Yaqi to do it?

Did I say it was OK for Matt to copy anything? No maybe you should read my POST #1, with simple question. So to make it easy for you, I will repost #1.

Was on Yaqi web-site this am, as the apparently do Black Friday in China, and big I click RAZOR this pops up and I say WHAT.:cursing:

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256...7*MTcwMDc0OTQ2Mi4xLjEuMTcwMDc0OTU3NC40Ni4wLjA.
Looks like Razor Emporium's REX Ambassador Clone.:em1500:

Did I say it was OK for Matt to copy anything? No maybe you should read my POST #1, with simple question. So to make it easy for you, I will repost #1.

Was on Yaqi web-site this am, as the apparently do Black Friday in China, and big I click RAZOR this pops up and I say WHAT.:cursing:

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256805734849927.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.main.7.65955654DJrw0r&algo_pvid=d0fbda7f-39c4-4c08-8f47-573368b26da9&algo_exp_id=d0fbda7f-39c4-4c08-8f47-573368b26da9-3&pdp_npi=4@dis!USD!141.46!111.75!!!141.46!!@2101c5ac17007495702955653eb54c!12000034885115456!sea!US!4594913379!&curPageLogUid=S05TVaPN82Zo&_gl=1*a0kyav*_ga*MTQzMzIzNzI2Ny4xNzAwNzQ5NDYy*_ga_VED1YSGNC7*MTcwMDc0OTQ2Mi4xLjEuMTcwMDc0OTU3NC40Ni4wLjA.
Looks like Razor Emporium's REX Ambassador Clone.:em1500:
Post #1 does not have a question. Your thread title does. That is what everyone is replying to and trying to explain who copied who, but you refuse to accept the facts.

The angry emojis imply you are upset that the RE Rex has been copied. When in fact, it is a copy itself.

You make no sense. It's like talking to a bag of hammers.

Last edited:
Post #1 does not have a question. Your thread title does. That is what everyone is replying to and trying to explain who copied who, but you refuse to accept the facts.

The angry emojis imply you are upset that the RE Rex has been copied. When in fact, it is a copy itself.

You make no sense. It's like talking to a bag of hammers.

I believe you do not comprehend not everyone thinks, or agree with your idea.

But the hood new is we reside in place where think differently, or having a different opinion is not a crime.

A patent is only as good as your ability to enforce it. If someone steals your idea but can afford better lawyers than you can, you're SOL.

So a decision to seek out a patent takes the above into consideration.

Sometimes, for a small business, your best "patent" is your reputation.

... Thom

What you said is IMHO about 110% correct in world today that we live in.

I believe you do not comprehend not everyone thinks, or agree with your idea.

But the hood new is we reside in place where think differently, or having a different opinion is not a crime.
If you actually took the time to read 99% of the responses in this thread, I and most everyone else think you don't even comprehend what you are posting or posting about!! Is English you native language? Half the time your responses are cryptic at best and very hard to follow is the reason I ask...

My great dad always taught me to...
Never point your finger at someone.
If you are going to reach out your hand & arm, offer a helping hand.

We are lucky to have to place to share, it should not be a place to tear...
We all are certainly all different but we are here because we do have one solid thing in common.
The passion for the shave.

“Respect for ourselves guides our morals; respect for others guides our manners”
― Laurence Sterne

It is our forum, let's try be good players...
BFX

Gibbs did hold a patent on their adjustable back in 1942
This is probably the most interesting point made in this whole painful thread.

I would have thought it would have been a patent dating back to the mid 1930's, maybe 1937 the voices in my head are telling me. Do we have any more info on the Gibbs patents?

I would be a little concerned with a French 1942 patent. It would have been issued by Vichy France, a regime which the succeeding Fourth Republic which was established in 1946 considered illegal and illegitimate. General de Gaulle had proclaimed Vichy as such in the Ordinance of 9th August 1944

de Gaulle had consistently emphasised this ever since he formed the Free French provisional Government in London in June 1940.

I wonder if wartime Vichy French patents were annulled post-war?

Let's at least talk about something vaguely engaging.

🖕 Yaqi and 🖕Razor Emporium, it was not complicated, problem resolved :biggrin:

I don't want any more clone wars, it's boring as the death.

Make It Stop The Office GIF

Top Bottom