What's new

Clone DE what do you think?

I do not know if most Razor Builders today like say Yates, REX, Blackbird, patent their designs.

If they done then anyone capable of making copy is pretty much free do do with out repercussions.
This is the whole point, Pearl Flexi, Yaqi TFC and the Rex Ambassador are ALL clones of the Gibbs design. But you said the former (two) cloned the Rex, which is a clone by itself.
Hence you got your *** handed to you.

And why I don't like Razor Emporium has nothing to do with me reading internet posts bashing them. I made my own mind when Matt started Knocking anything other than his Rex razor. That just rubbed me the wrong way. I think the Ambassador is a pretty copy of the Gibbs. Pretty expensive though.

You asked, I answered.

I think we're done here, folks. Let's let this thread slip into history

beating a dead horse wtf GIF

I have problem with thieft of intellectual property.

Use to have nice cash flow from sale & resales of my images.

If you want to use domes intellectual property, become legal paying license fee & royalties.

It sort of like shoplifting, it’s only stealing from big company. But people cry when price rise from shrinkage.

Friend is inventor, to bring product to market idling, costly process.

Not cool when some one clones, or counterfits products with patents. Getting patent is also costly part of production.

So the 1,000,000.00 dollar question is was the design by Yaq1i New or just a Copy of product with US Patient?

Mr Gillette back 110 year plus ago got patient to protect simple idea.

Read n learn.

Gillette shenanigans are not widely publicized but they were no angels either. In Jan 1931 Auto Strop took over Gillette and removed its management. A battle that Gillette would lose due to their patent infringement of the Probak blade design. So Gillette stole some int. property too. I love Gillette history, but not that part of it. Int. property theft is bad for the creator of the item, no doubt. The worst is China, who will never stop stealing other people's work, it's how they roll.

Patents will not be recognized in China. Companies such as Apple, Air Jordan, Tesla, New Balance, Toyota, and Honda have sued in China over patent issues, but they have all lost.

Bingo, but the is way around this loop hole, build your products in China. Get Chinese Patent, and if violators are caught doing wrong in China could be list wrong done by person. Violation could get rip off artist executed.

....I have twin sisters.
Am I in trouble??

Oh on this subject .Just let your wallet do the taking. Your hard earned money, your face, the choice is yours.
Shaving is one thing we all agree we love...
Respect each other and have fun, share and be fair...

Note: this reply is copyrighted.
Any use of my comments replied/copied must go through my wife's lawyers.
Someone ( Guido C.) may come to confiscate all said razor supplies and hardware.

Oh, if not have fun...your doing it wrong..

BFX°

Patents don't apply. The Rex Ambassador is already a clone of the Gibbs. The Personna Precision is a clone of the Gibbs. The Yaqi Ultima is a clone of the Gibbs. The people who produce the Ambassador are producing a clone--it's literally no different than what Yaqi is doing.

Long before the Rex Ambassador appeared, I remember the owner of iKon posting somewhere with a picture of a Gibbs they had purchased, starting a thread with discussion about making a version of the Gibbs/Personna adjustable out of stainless steel. I never saw anything come of that but it was the first time I had seen a modern manufacturer discussing making a version in stainless. Later another model appeared by a different manufacturer (what later became Rocnel?). Then there's also the Denali (although the timing of that relative to the Rex Ambassador is unclear to me).

There's precedence for not just a Gibbs-Personna-style adjustable, but in particular a stainless Gibbs-Personna-style adjustable, before the Rex Ambassador.

I don't see myself buying the Yaqi for several reasons but I am curious about how it compares to other similar razors.

Last edited:
Bingo, but the is way around this loop hole, build your products in China. Get Chinese Patent, and if violators are caught doing wrong in China could be list wrong done by person. Violation could get rip off artist executed.
A couple years ago Heritage was having a Gibbs replica made in China and half way through the project, mysteriously Yaqi had released the Final Cut razor which was an exact copy of what Heritage was releasing as the factory he was having them made in leaked the design to Yaqi and we all know the end of that story!! Nothing he could do but find another factory that wasn't tied to Yaqi and start the project all over again.

I believe this was mentioned earlier in this thread, The Denali was Mfg'd by a couple ex-employee's of RE to release a milder version of the Rex clone of the Gibbs.

Well in looking at several of the REX' Razors in person not hav seen on product, Patent Pending, or a Patent Number so the Ex Employee could copy or clone what is in public domaine.

Patents, TradeMarks, and CopyWrite is a unique area of law, know some companies who own intellectual property are ruthless if you use what they own without permission.

Gentleman I know has friend with small business, who Pirated a UFC Event, then posted come on down go his business to see event of social media.

He would up answering civil suit in Federal Court, what UFC was seeking 100K, had to hire lawyer, and settle out of Court for big bucks.

Think that was costly lesson.

It seems that the problem here is that the OP thinks the Rex Ambassador is an original design. It isn't. It is a clone.

Yaqi isn't cloning the Rex, it is cloning the Gibbs. Razor Emporium also cloned the Gibbs when it made the Rex.

It seems that he should also be angry with Razor Emporium for making a clone, too.

I know that others have already pointed this out, but it seems he isn't getting it. I thought maybe if I spelled it out simply it might help(? ).

It seems that the problem here is that the OP thinks the Rex Ambassador is an original design. It isn't. It is a clone.

Yaqi isn't cloning the Rex, it is cloning the Gibbs. Razor Emporium also cloned the Gibbs when it made the Rex.

It seems that he should also be angry with Razor Emporium for making a clone, too.

I know that others have already pointed this out, but it seems he isn't getting it. I thought maybe if I spelled it out simply it might help(? ).

Well I will ask again as I still have no reply to question?

Was the Gibbs Design protected by PATENT?

If not it is in public domain, no harm copying.

Maybe someone with knowledge of history will reply?

also

check out years 1923 & 1958

Article you posted above was & is excellent information.

Bottom line if you a sucessful inventor or manufacture of any product.

You a target of those who wish to copy, counterfit, or clone you product or idea.

World we live in in 2023, use to be seldom, now daily.

Last edited:

mcee_sharp

MCEAPWINMOLQOVTIAAWHAMARTHAEHOAIDIAMRHDAE
Generally speaking, "we" seem to not like the 'small guy' artisans to be copied and are OK with them heavily pulling inspiration from historical products, but can be fickle - regardless of any IP or patent rights.

Top Bottom