What's new

Razorock Lupo .95 Open Comb

@something better @Sweeney_ I like the Lupo .95 OC a damn lot more than its OC counterpart. It adds the needed extra of efficiency and stays quite tame. As long as one can bear that bit more of blade, I would always suggest an OC. The lather flows through it, I like that a lot.
I wasn't quite a fan of the Lupo DC with its .72 OC and .95 SB side. Both were funnily roughly even in performance. The .95 OC is way more up to my liking. I rather shaved with the GC .84 OC or other razors than with the Lupo DC. It wasn't bad, but the .95 OC takes the cake. I think the OC doesn't wipe away all the lather in one go, maybe what will suit you. About drag, hmm, I wasn't much a fan of the .95 SB with its slightly scalloped bar. Didn't remember drag. Unless you are like me living in Europe, getting the .95 OC head or baseplate shouldn't be too expensive and it's worth a try.
Say again? You like the OC a damn lot than the OC?

I thought that this would be a mismatch between these two but, one actually surprised me. This one is for shave Bro-ham @Phoenixkh as he is a fan of the Claymore Evo as am I. I’ll be brief and to the point as I don’t want to derail a thread that’s exclusive to the Lupo .95 OC. Hopefully the OP won’t mind to much.

View attachment 1501559

First it was darn hot today nearly 100 F in the shade so, a face chill of the highest order or close thereabouts was a necessity. Stirling’s Margaritas in The Arctic Glacial all the way around was the ticket. It did not disappoint. As normal when doing a comparison between two razors, each one will grab a side and I always do a full 3 pass shave unless the 3rd becomes unnecessary. The Lupo .95 OC I knew would have the advantage in blade feel and I assumed it would pull away from the Claymore with relative ease. I installed fresh Feather blades in each razor. A Feather Pro for the EVO & a Feather Hi-SS for the Lupo. From the first stroke the Lupo proved my assumption right that it had a bit more blade feel and felt that it was with a bit more authority over the EVO. First pass WTG was quite good with both razors getting the whiskers down to skin level equally and that surprised me because the EVO felt somewhat subdued vs the Lupo yet, it countered with a flawless first pass. Smoother and more comfortable over the Lupo, almost mild like. Pass 2 was ATG and these shave razor combatants really do stand out in this pass. Tenacious yet smooth without any mishaps, chatter or skipping from either side. They both mow through whiskers effectively and easily with the Lupo letting you know through a more audible effect that it was slicing & dicing. The EVO felt a bit muted compared to the Lupo but, it still brought the steel to the whiskers. A quick splash and face rub and these two were nearly identical both face & neck. A bit of subtle whiskers near the Adam’s Apple on the EVO side and that I would attribute to the wider base of the AC style blades and being a bit more cumbersome to maneuver in those tight areas. The Lupo just gets in there with ease and clears out those pesky spots much easier and with less work. Went with a 3rd pass but, it was more for clean ups and slight buff work on the chin and jawline. I managed to get a few of those stragglers around the AA with the EVO without incident just needed to do some stretching and minor face/neck contorting to get it done. A splash and feel and I was BBS all around with both of these razors really bringing their shave prowess to the table. I attribute that as well to the super sharp Feathers in both razors as this blade is not as forgiving as other blades in the business. I always feel the slightest of harshness from a fresh Feather blade in any razor and it was no different with the Lupo OC. I felt just the tiniest amount of heat on the Lupo side of the jawline and right at the corner of the mouth where I line up the stache. Nothing major as it was gone within 10-15 minutes post shave but, it was there. I felt nothing on the EVO side as this razor actually keeps that initial harsh feeling of the Feather Pro to practically zero. Shave geometry from the manufacturer is spot on in keeping blade feel on the lower side yet still revealing enough to cut efficiently & smoothly. Conversely, I still needed a bit more work on the EVO side to clear out the stragglers in which the Lupo left nothing in practically 2 complete passes. My face though is feeling great and nicely cooled without any nics or cuts to speak of.

In conclusion, the EVO did better than I expected. It was smoother obviously but, it still cut with authority, comfort and face feel that was better than the Lupo OC. But, the Lupo was definitely the more efficient shaver and I know that with subsequent shaves on the Feather, it will smooth out and really hit its groove. Maneuverability is also in the hands of the Lupo .95 OC. The smaller head profile and DE blade format allows one to really get in the nook & crannies around ones face and neck to clear even the most stubborn of whiskers. And again, though both feel great in the hands the feel and balance of the Lupo puts it ahead of the EVO in my experience. Longevity is the only thing I can’t comment on as the shave was performed only 30 minutes ago.

Time to pull out a frosty beverage and grill a steak or two. Great shaves to all…

As a follow up to last nights shave between the EVO & Lupo .95 OC, this morning I had some early stubble at about 4:30 am on the Evo side. Light but, noticeable from the touch. The Lupo side on the other hand was smooth and clean as a whistle. Just started feeling a bit along the jawline at about 7am. That's close to 12 hours for the Lupo OC vs maybe 8 perhaps 9 hours for the Evo.

Ultimately for me, the minuscule trade off of a smoother feeling shave with the Claymore loses out to the increased shave efficiency of the Lupo OC while still being very smooth itself. I believe that while the Lupo has more blade feel, it is nothing compared to an Ikon Tech, R41 or a PAA Evo. To me it's docile enough to be used as a daily as well as an every other day or multiple days performer. It has an excellent balance of feel and ease of use on the skin. It won't work for everyone as no razor in history has accomplished that feat but, for the majority of wet shavers that are looking for an equilibrium under the razor tool topic of smooth yet efficient shaver, the Lupo .95 OC does a really good job of defining that measure. And its counterpart the .95 SB does just as good for that matter.

Happy shaves, gents. :shaving:

Last edited:

Iridian

Cool and slimy
As we are already in Claymore territory, I have some bucks leftover (since late 2021/early 2022) for a certain BANDIT that is related to the OUTLAW of the same family.

I always wondered about an Outlaw OC, but the Bandit is an entirely different head. I hope it is good. I already read every tidbit posted about it, particularly @GlazedBoker.

I know Alpha is more into brushes, but I also dig their Viper and Bravo handles. I also would like the Claymore handle without the head. Not ready to open the SE front.

The shaving journey is infinite, at least for me. Money unfortunately not. But I don't join the "restraint" threads either. 😎✌️

As we are already in Claymore territory, I have some bucks leftover (since late 2021/early 2022) for a certain BANDIT that is related to the OUTLAW of the same family.

I always wondered about an Outlaw OC, but the Bandit is an entirely different head. I hope it is good. I already read every tidbit posted about it, particularly @GlazedBoker.

I know Alpha is more into brushes, but I also dig their Viper and Bravo handles. I also would like the Claymore handle without the head. Not ready to open the SE front.

The shaving journey is infinite, at least for me. Money unfortunately not. But I don't join the "restraint" threads either. 😎✌️

6EA6C6DE-FB04-4B85-81E9-C15527A38FAC.gif

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune

Well, for me, I prefer the Timeless Ti Crown handles to the Claymore Evo handles... a bit lighter and so beautiful. Still, the Evo handles have a nice grip and feel.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
Timeless Ti Crown
LupoMuhle.jpg
I like them, too. That's why the Lupo got it, they go along well with each other and the slightly older version of the RazoRock stand.

Still would love 1,5 cm more length and them made in stainless steel. For some heft and length I use the 100mm Barberpole (glued to the Slim). I already planned in another Timeless cap for my .95 OC plate, which is shared between Slim, .95 SC and .95 OC atm.

If Timeless doesn't come up with new handles or covering the blade tabs anytime soon, the dimpled handle is next on the list.
I also would like a longer version of the spiral handle.

I have a beef with the Pineapple handle... like the looks but don't like it in the hand.

That's a great picture @Rocket 1 ! My 95 OC with the super knurl handle is supposed to be delivered tomorrow and the Timeless Ti Crown handle on Friday.

I can't wait to test it out with both! What was your impression with the lighter handle in use?

That's a great picture @Rocket 1 ! My 95 OC with the super knurl handle is supposed to be delivered tomorrow and the Timeless Ti Crown handle on Friday.

I can't wait to test it out with both! What was your impression with the lighter handle in use?
Thanks. Sounds like you have two great options on your inbound handles. I provide some detail on handling in my shave log notes : www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/rocket-1-shave-logs.628017/post-11881805. But, overall positive. I will need to adjust some, as I was becoming acclimated to the heavier SS UFO handle.

Thanks. Sounds like you have two great options on your inbound handles. I provide some detail on handling in my shave log notes : www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/rocket-1-shave-logs.628017/post-11881805. But, overall positive. I will need to adjust some, as I was becoming acclimated to the heavier SS UFO handle.
Awesome. Sounds like your experience more or less lined up with my thoughts on it. I'm used to some weight with the 6S and figured it would be more of a challenge not to apply pressure with the reduced weight. Thanks!

Might have found my favorite blade in the Lupo: Bic Chrome Platinum. First time trying the blade overall. To date the Nacet has offered a relatively positive experience. But, the Bic provided a combination of increased smoothness and seemingly same or better sharpness, with reduced resistance ATG. Bonus: no glue with the Bic wrapper. Need to evaluate over a longer period but was wonderfully surprised by this blade.

Might have found my favorite blade in the Lupo: Bic Chrome Platinum. First time trying the blade overall. To date the Nacet has offered a relatively positive experience. But, the Bic provided a combination of increased smoothness and seemingly same or better sharpness, with reduced resistance ATG. Bonus: no glue with the Bic wrapper. Need to evaluate over a longer period but was wonderfully surprised by this blade.
I have exactly one Bic Chrome Platinum left. I haven't yet tried one in the .95oc, but I loved them in the .72.

I suppose I'll give it a try next time I use a new blade :)

First shave with the Lupo is in the books. I loaded up a Nacet on it's 2nd use and tackled 3 days of growth, which coincidentally is the longest growth I've had since picking up a DE. I had some minor tugging the first couple of strokes as I figured out the best angle; found the best to be pretty similar to the 6S which is a shallower angle closer to riding the cap. Once I got that dialed in I was off to the races.

Being newer to all of this it's sometimes tough to wrap your head around what others share about their experiences with various razors. Blade feel vs smoothness, efficiency vs aggressiveness, etc. I must say it all started to make sense using the Lupo. There is a lot more blade feel with the 95 OC than the 6S with the R6 plate (and I think I actually know what blade feel is now ha) but it's not harsh at all. The Lupo is more efficient than any of the 6S plates and I would say smoothness is on par with the 6S somewhere between R4-5; I've found R5 to be my sweet spot for reference. I had no irritation and feel I could easily use the 95 OC multiple days in a row without issue.

I did my usual two passes, WTG and XTG, and had DFS+ results with almost zero touch-ups. I thought I nicked myself once around my chin but didn't have any weepers so may have just been getting used to the blade feel. The smaller head of the Lupo made it so much easier to get under my nose compared to the bulky 6S.

The Lupo and 6S are both heavy razors which as a beginner I like as I feel it helps me not apply pressure and I can just let the weight of the razor do the work. The super knurl handle is awesome, so much grip! I look forward to eventually experimenting with the Ti Crown handle to see what the weight difference will bring.

Overall I am extremely pleased; the Lupo is incredible value and I can't believe it doesn't cost considerably more!

First shave with the Lupo is in the books. I loaded up a Nacet on it's 2nd use and tackled 3 days of growth, which coincidentally is the longest growth I've had since picking up a DE. I had some minor tugging the first couple of strokes as I figured out the best angle; found the best to be pretty similar to the 6S which is a shallower angle closer to riding the cap. Once I got that dialed in I was off to the races.

Sounds like a great start!

Iridian

Cool and slimy
I also recommend Alpha Shaving handles. Very shiny but also very good grip nevertheless.
The Lupo head is small and flat. most of the weight is in the handle. I would like the crown handle in stainless steel, but there seems to be at least a forum trend to short and light handles by now.

Top Bottom