What's new

Razorock Lupo .95 Open Comb

I started out with AC single edge razors and still love my Claymore Evolution, my first AC razor. I added an ATT X1 AC Slant a while back and it made its way to my top razor list from the first shave. What a wonderful razor. I have a few DE razors I like as much as the AC razors now but it took me a while to find them.

I'm glad you had a great shave with your RR Lupo 95OC. RazoRock continues to turn out great razors at reasonable prices. I'm not sure how they do it, but I'm grateful they do.
I didn't even know there was an AC style slant. I might have to check this out.

For Me, nothing is as good as the cobras. I practically only shave with one of two king cobras on custom handles or a cobra classic. However recently I got a bit bored of using cobras exclusively for 5 or 6 years, so I ordered a few of the newer AC using offerings, as well as bunch of old gillettes/classics. Still haven't found anything to dethrone the cobra in either the DE or AC categories, but this new lupo was really nice to shave with and will stay in the rotation/collection now to spice things up. I'm now kind of wondering how a 95SB would compare, but not sure if it'll be worth ordering/trying if I already like the OC.

SOTD: Lupo 95 OC, Winner Platinum (1), RR Plissoft, Speick blue cream & splash.

Finally a shave with the OC that I call great. Smooth, close, no irritation. The Winner (some say it is the same as the Wilkinson-Gillette) is a good choice for me in this razor. It is not that sharp, but very forgiving.

I popped in a 2nd use Feather for today's shave. It was a strange one. It didn't feel sharp, at all. The first pass was uncomfortable, the 2nd ok, the 3rd atg pass was the smoothest. On the other hand, I could have stopped after the 2nd pass, it was DFS+ easily, with 1-2 places to touch up. I went for an ATG pass on the face anyway, baby smooth. No nicks, no weepers, no irritation. I applied my Speick splash as ususal. A little bit of tingling, that turned into a long cooling feeling.
After putting this down, it seems like a great shave, and the result certainly is perfect. Not sure why I had the discomfort during the 1st pass. But, feather can be like that. I'll use a fresh blade eventually in the name of science.

My local customs send my 95 OC to … the Army :oops:
Razor: Lupo 95OC

Brush: SOC Finest Badger

Soap: Palmolive Cream

Blade: Astra SP (1)

Bowl: Captain’s Choice

Finally the Army give my razor back. Took a few months but ok. I didn’t know why the razor and 2 fountain pen had to be sent to the Army, maybe the pen is mighty than a sword?!

Thank you @AnimalCatcher for the Palmolive cream. This brand is not available in my country. Always a pleasure to try a classic 😄. The Lupo 95OC is excellent, a little blade feel but in a good way.

71C86FCD-B545-4569-9F30-444920B86076.jpeg

If a Lupo 95oc is way too aggressive for me, should i even be looking at a Blackbird Ti? Would love feedback from semi sensitive skin users who have used both please. The most aggressive razors I have used so far have been an MMOC and a Gillette Old type. Although I could get an amazing shave out of both, I don’t like being on “high alert” so much with the MMOC. It just isn’t enjoyable. I love the old type and new OC, but even those push the comfort envelope on day 2-3 in a row. Mostly, I use a Gillette adjustable on 5-7, a Gillette New or a GC84P.
I have now tried the 95oc 4 times in a row, shaving every other day and back to back, and it simply leaves my face raw. I get micro weepers every time and constantly feel as if I’m about to slice myself. I also tried using an old bar end handle as I have seen several post claiming a lighter handle calms it down. The Timeless Ti handle has also been recommended for this head, but I don’t own one or any other light handles to try. So far, the Lupo OC just isn’t a good fit for me Other than I LOVE those corners to get around my nose and the flat head. It sure is maneuverable!
I have been considering a Blackbird Ti for a while. My rationale for the Bird is that I get good shaves out of a Gem Clog Pruf which is less aggressive than the MMOC, and like the Blackbird a small gap high exposure razor. My end question is this- given this history and preference, does anyone have advice as to whether I should go for the Ti Bird or a Overlander? I keep,reading that the Overlander is pretty efficient but overall smooth. I want a premium razor that is smooth and comfortable above all, yet also efficient, (but so efficient that it irritating or stressful) that I can use every day. I’ve seen folks mention Timeless as well. Any input from those that have compared these razors is much appreciated.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
I have a Blackbird in stainless steel. It gives a much closer shave than the Lupo .95 OC. But, I don't consider either razor too aggressive for my skin.

I have to tell you though, I am not a daily shaver. Two or three times a week is all I need.

For your consideration: The Blackbird "Lite" baseplate might work well for you.
this if you want a blackbird. Start with the Lite. I just shaved with the SS version yesterday on 1.5 days growth. You’ll get a feel for it without jumping in. For reference - I also have the Reg plate and had a TI bird. I was one of the rare birds who prefer SS.

The razors you like are smooth without too much blade feel. The Reg bird to me has bladefeel closer to the higher gap Lupo .95.
Overlander is a different animal. Smooth but efficient. Not as efficient to me as the GC .84P that you have but less blade feel. The GC and adjustable are good shavers.

I can’t comment on the timeless.

Smooth but efficient without being too bulky to get under nose - yates 921 with H plate? M plate to be safer or look at the ‘Merica razor or Alysworth drakkant with + plate.(all made by Yates). The Konsul is also smooth but efficient but is a few bucks. Good luck! Enjoy the journey

Thanks. I guess what I’m really after is something that I can use every morning without any irritation whatsoever instead of absolute efficiency. If I’ve got the OC‘s or Lupo (I’ll prob actually sell the Lupo) to come in for a cleanup after a long weekend or vacation from shaving, that’s a more rare shave as I’m a working guy who keeps it clean cut. Maybe keeping the current bigger guns in reserve until needed and getting the Overlander to try for every day should be my step 1. Even the GC 84 gets a little irritating at the end of the week if I go for BBS every day, but the 68 is way too inefficient to start. Maybe the Overlander can fill that gap as the smooth, “close enough” daily I’m looking for. If the Lupo 95oc is a good representation of an aggressive razor, I’m simply playing in the wrong sandbox for my skin.

Well, PM me if anyone wants a 95 Lupo Oc Plate to buy or trade. Not sure to blame it on razor or blade, it I literally just had the worst shaving experience in my life with a 3rd use GSB in the Lupo. Hot shower, used Proraso pre shave, had a great MWF lather..,and by second pass had 5 places on my neck that were literally dripping blood onto my chest. Simply dumbfounded. Bad blade? Defective base or cap? Definately makes me much more excited about my Overlander arriving next week. I’ll try this one more time with a light handle and a Wizamet after I’ve healed. If I don’t find the wonderful Lupo everyone else loves, it’s somebody else’s turn to have it.

I am waiting for this plate to arrive in Europe. I am not a fan of Canada Post anymore. They were better before the EU customs changes, but now I have to physically go to the local DHL store all the time to pay customs.

They unfortunately do not offer other shipping options where I can easily pay later and by VISA.
wow that must be infuriating. My country, New Zealand, changed the system so retailers collect the tax (when you buy the item) and then transfer it to the NZ govt.

Top Bottom