What's new

Razorock Lupo .95 Open Comb

Only 3 shaves with the 95 SB and 1 with the 95OC. All three shaves with the SB were closer than with the OC. Russian Gillette Stainless blades in both razors, same cream & brush. Will continue playing with the OC angles.
Interesting I only have the solid bar But first pass is very close in fact I have to be gingerly with it when I’m doing touchups otherwise I may get a nick

I also recommend Alpha Shaving handles. Very shiny but also very good grip nevertheless.
The Lupo head is small and flat. most of the weight is in the handle. I would like the crown handle in stainless steel, but there seems to be at least a forum trend to short and light handles by now.
I thought about trying to pick up the outlaw on by selling trade forms

After some hesitation I decided to join the 95 OC club. I took delivery of the razor yesterday. I had the first shave with it just now, a 1.5 days growth evening shave. (instead of the usual 2 days growth morning shave.) This puts the razor to the test, so I decided to even the field by using my favorite cream (speick blue) and a well known(to me) very smooth blade, the german wilkinson. I just wanted to write a short post about it, as I can't say how it works in my regular routine. I definitely can't compare it to the SB yet, as I need to get to know the OC better, then do a comparison shave (same blade, soap, prep, everything). Well, that was the plan... warning, honeymoon phase, and whatnot, but here it comes:
It is a keeper! Super efficient, the OC head might be great to get my flat growing whiskers. It smooth as a Lupo too. There is a little bit more blade feel, but in a good way. It lets me know when to back off, so in the end that extra bit of feel helps get a smoother shave. The only place where it felt less comfortable than the SB is around the adams apple, I suppose the skin is very sensitive in that region. I didn't get any nicks or weepers. There is another razor that has this "warning" property for me, the R41, but it is less comfortable. In the end I might have found what I was looking for all along, a super efficient, but smooth razor that does not nick me.
Now lets see when the honeymoon ends, after I try some other blades and soaps that are less favorable.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
In the end I might have found what I was looking for all along, a super efficient, but smooth razor that does not nick me.
Now lets see when the honeymoon ends, after I try some other blades and soaps that are less favorable.
I am glad that you like it! I always feel terrible when I recommend something and then it is too harsh etc..

For what it is worth, I haven't quite figured out WHY I like the Lupo .95 OC so much more than the .95 SB.
That's why I wondered if the .95 SB side of the Lupo DC really is a .95 SB recently.
But I also remember that I already on the Lupo DC favored the feeling of the .72 OC side.

Back to the top, baby! I just came off of some great shaves with a new French razor that offered some excellent shaves with some real smooth open comb creations. Still, that razor is roughly 3 to 5 times as much as this stalwart of affordability that has a chokehold on the high end razor is better argument and has it ready to tap out or go nighty-night, UFC style. The Lupo OC .95 is that good. It’s nearly as smooth & almost equally efficient to some of the top tier OC’s in the wet shave tool playing field. Maybe not as refined or polished off to some shavers eyes but, dollar for dollar this is a gunslinger of a razor. Big props to Razorock. Slapped in a Bic Chrome Platinum that had 2 uses on it and it was like taking the whole jar of Skittles from an unattended candy shop. Simply superb and another blade that works tremendously well with the Lupo OC.

Howl at the Moon AAAH - OOOOOOWWW……
8F16EAA0-DDE0-4D52-A78A-6483B1D65EB4.gif

C4917B4F-359C-42B2-861A-6987497ED301.jpeg

I decided to do a comparison between the 95 SB and OC. I will alternate between them shave by shave, but everything else should be the same. I.e. same brush, soap, prep, growth... Blade of choice is the gillette 7oc black.
I started with the OC, after I was blown away by its performance with a wilkinson blade, I was expecting nothing but stellar performance. I know the 7oc black was great in the SB earlier.
Well, right after the first strokes it didn't feel stellar. It wasn't bad though, but compared to the fresh memories with the german wilkie the blade felt much duller. Had to repeat strokes, so it wasn't as efficient as it I wanted. Smoothness was ok. 2nd pass was better, maybe the blade is sharpening up, though one side felt different than the other. Surprisingly, the 3rd ATG pass felt the best, it felt sharp enough and quite smooth. In the end a very close shave, but I'm disappointed in the blade.
FF to today with the SB. Loaded another 7oc black, started the shave. wow, it was a joy from the first stroke to the last. I could have done a 4th pass just for fun. It was like there was no blade in the razor, but didn't feel the lack of sharpness either. Sure a couple of repeat strokes were necessary, but with the smoothness I didn't care. After the final atg pass I'm left with as close a shave as it gets. The only thing I could pick on is that rinsing after the 3rd pass gave a very minor feedback (I attribute this to getting carried away because it felt so smooth). No stinging from the AS though.
So round one goes to the SB with a note that the blade is questionable. After checking my notes of this blade, I wrote earlier "one side sharper than the other" so I suspect there is a variation in blade sharpness unfortunately. For the next shave I'll swap the blades in the razors. Maybe I even repeat the comparison with german wilkies or astra SS-s. Those are good in the QC department.

round 2, I swapped the blades. The OC (with the supposedly better blade) now felt efficient. More bladefeel especially during the 2nd pass. I could have stopped after 2 passes with just a touchup of one spot near the jawline, but I did a 3rd pass instead (for science). It felt good, it got my cheeks baby smooth, but the AS burned, luckily it went away quickly. Should have stopped after 2 passes.
The SB (with the worse blade), at first it felt like the blade was sharp, but in the middle of the 2nd pass, it started to decline in sharpness. The 3rd pass was not as effortless as before. But the SB still felt smooth during the whole duration of the shave.
I rate this a tie. So was it the blade? There is definitely some variation, because the "better" blade felt sharp all the way to the end of the shave, and the "worse" blade started to feel like it is on the way out again by the end of the shave.
Nevertheless this blade is just great with the SB, and good in the OC, but I think the Wilkinson was better. So that is what will come next, 2 Wilkies in both. But first I use up these blades, after all I got very close very comfy shaves, and the difference above is just splitting hair.

I have used different blades in the .95OC and so far, I get my best shaves w/ a Feather(6-20 shaves). The others I have used are:
KAI (meh)
Permasharp (Nice first shave)
Gillette Swede (3 shaves but lots of buffing after)
Gillette Platinum (the first 2 shaves are great)
Gillette Nacet (Smooth but dulls quickly)
Gillette 7 O'Clock Yellows ( So nice, made me check to see what was loaded)
Polsilver SI (Very nice from shave 1-10)

If you noticed, I haven't used many of the blades on the 'less sharper' spectrum- that tends to lead to too much buffing and too many passes (normally only 2)- as high as 4. I will look at some of the other blades loaded on here and give them a shot just to see what happens.

marty

to balance the great reviews a bit, today wasn't a great success for me. I did a number on my face, 4-5 weepers, razorburn, AS splash burn. :eek2: At least I got the usual close shave. I don't know why, the blade was my go-to blade, a fresh german wilkinson, good prep, good lather, but still. well, meh.
It happens. Chalk it up to one of those mystery shaves that happen. They go both ways. I've had BBS shaves that cannot be replicated no matter what I do to recreate the conditions, and shaves like, well, like the one you just got. Don't worry. Give your skin a little extra time to heal (hopefully you don't have to shave for work) and the next one will be back to great again. I promise.

I like making promises on the internet because no one can hold me to them, but they make me look good.........oops, I probably shouldn't have let that slip...

I've had 2 more shaves with the same blade, no more drama :) . I used 2 other soaps. All of my soaps are decent, yet somehow the other 2 soaps went better with this razor. :001_unsur

Top Bottom