What's new

Quest for one razor to rule them all journal

So not that I like to admit it but some of my go to vintage razors are collecting dust lately so many good razors in my collection. I'm going to attempt to answer the question what razor is the best one for me. I'm going to try chronological order from oldest to newest. Now some caveats I will only going to be focusing on DE razors, SEs and Straights are a whole other rabbit hole. I've decided to spend a week with a razor and try some different blades in it to give it an fighting chance. That being said has anyone tried something like this and if so what criteria or scale did you use, any suggestions would be appreciated.

P.S. I may need just a relaxing shave once and awhile with whatever razor, and when I travel for work I will likely take just one razor

You may also want to use the same brush and the same soap, if you are really trying to get it down to just which razor works best for you.

Welcome to the Journals! I can say that using the same brush and soap is definitely a good idea. Some razors work differently with different blades, though, so keep that in mind during your tests. I look forward to seeing where you end up!

So I've come up with a rating system and spreadsheet to try and keep track of all this (I anticipate a year-long process, or more) But I've been holding off waiting for my Timeless to arrive so I can spend some time with it before I go all the way back to a 1908 Gillette and start working to present day (there will be breaks for new razors that show up).

I am trying several razors as well. My first test was a fail. The only common denominator between the two was the blade.

I am starting over using all the same kit, except for the razor. Good luck in your quest.

Day one and so it begins
This was a good one
Gillette Single Ring with a Gillette Silver Blue, Barrister and Mann Promises Soap and AS. So a 3 Pass shave that even got my problem areas. Not the smoothest shave but also not unpleasant definitely a great shave overall 19/25. I have not used this razor in quite some time but it really reminded me of why some vintage razors are all people shave with.
proxy.php

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Day 4:
4 Good shaves with a GSB blade, some minor weepers, so far this could be an everyday shaver for me, not the smoothest, there is a pretty significant blade feel with this razor, Tomorrow on to a feather blade and see how this razor does.

End of the first week
I’ve enjoyed this razor, great close shaves. This razor dealt with my problem areas better than most razors. This closeness comes with a cost. You need to pay attention to it, I had a couple of shaves with weepers and some what I’d call some borderline irritation. Overall a great razor that works better than I will at 110 years old. Surprisingly a Feather worked well and was smooth. I also really enjoy the thin head and 51 grams this razor brings to the table, nimble and easy to work with. But that can lead to using excessive pressure. Overall an average of 17.7/25. A good start to this journey, I know no razor will get a 25 but the closer the better.
proxy.php

Razor/week 2
Razor: Gillette Canadian Old Type
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue
Brush: Razorock 24 Barrel Silvertip
Lather: Mitchell's Wool Fat
Aftershave: Brut Classic
Thayer's Whichhazel Original
This was an amazing shave. I’m reminded about how well a vintage razor can shave. Despite a similar head design to the single ring the old type felt much smoother, this makes the shave very enjoyable and mixed with some close cutting resulted in a beautiful shave. Overall score 20/25. Looking forward to this week of shaves.
proxy.php

Week 2 day 4. Today’s score 19/25. The Gillette Old continues to impress me and I’m reminded why I fell in love with vintage razors when I first added DEs into my shaving routine. This razor to me might not be as smooth as some of my favorite modern razors but it’s not rough. Tomorrow I will put a Feather Blade in it and see how it works.

Week 2 day 4. Today’s score 19/25. The Gillette Old continues to impress me and I’m reminded why I fell in love with vintage razors when I first added DEs into my shaving routine. This razor to me might not be as smooth as some of my favorite modern razors but it’s not rough. Tomorrow I will put a Feather Blade in it and see how it works.

Well the end of week 2
This one was a good one the Gillette Canadian Old felt smoother and cut closer than the single ring. One thing I noticed is a trouble area I have on my face from some scaring was dealt with easier than most razors. This razor shaves close, however can produce weepers but it reminded me why I like this razor so much and wonder why I hadn’t used it in so long. So right now it is on top with an 19.71/25 average score.
proxy.php

Week 3 Canadian New Improved
Loaded with a new Gillette Silver Blue an effortless close shave I think that the soap helped it was super slick but a good start to my test of this razor with a 20/25. This is the heftiest vintage so far the solid base plate I think helps keep this feeling smooth. Yet again a good example of an early DE that shaves wonderfully.
proxy.php

Week 3 with the Canadian New Improved was a wonderful week probably my most enjoyable week so far. Great close shaves little discomfort or weepers. I think the 50% increase in weight over the single ring and old to 75g helped keep the shaves smooth. Now for the breakdown the New Improved came in with an average of 19.14 just shy of the Old so for now it’s sitting in second place by the numbers. As much as I’ve enjoyed this experiment I will be in and out of town for the next couple of weeks so I’m going to pause for a couple of weeks and shave with whatever. Next up will be a Gillette Goodwill
proxy.php

Well after a couple of weeks off from the quest with some work travel and free shaves it’s back to the mission. This weeks razor is a Canadian Gillette Goodwill, loaded up with a Gillette Silver Blue and what a great shave smooth a bit of blade feel around the jawline but no weepers and a close shave.
proxy.php

End of the week of Goodwill
The Goodwill was a decent shaver, not as close as some of the other razors up to this point but not bad it had an average of 18.43 out of 25 this could be a daily driver for almost anyone but I won’t put it in rotation for me more a once and a while cool looking razor. I had the Tatara show up so a few days of that coming up but I won’t rate it on first usage.
proxy.php

Top Bottom