What's new

Quest for one razor to rule them all journal

So here is where the standings sit for now, I likely won't have much time to dedicate to evaluating more vintage razors util Sept. Busy with travel (and the 2 new Blackbirds showing up any day) so I'm using random razors and enjoying it for the time being (I knew this could take a while)
1 Gillette Aristrocrat 40's 20.57143
2 Gillette Rocket 19.85714
3 Gillette Aristrocrat Jr 19.85714
4 Gillette Tech Can Khaki 19.57143
5 Gillette Old 19.42857
6 Gillette Tech Contractor 19.28571
7 Aristrocrat OC TTO 19.28571
8 Gillette Super Speed 40's 19.28571
9 Gillette New Improved 19.14286
10 Gillette Red Tip 19.14286
11 Gillette Goodwill 18.42857
12 Gilette Senator 18
13 Gillette Single Ring 17.71429
14 Gillette New Long Comb 17.57143
15 Gillette New Short Comb 17.14286

So the quest has become derailed due to travel and new razors being added, but alas just when I thought I would get to resume the journey another business trip.
Work-“what are your plans this weekend”
Me-“catch up on stuff around the house”
Work-“ha ha we booked you a flight to Europe for a couple of weeks it leaves Sunday”
So the quest will be on a bit longer hiatus then planned. As a side note it’s allowed me more time with things like the Blackbird (seriously a top 3 razor, my prediction when I get around to rating it after all the vintage razors) and the .84 Game Changer another good razor I see it making it into regular rotation whenever I can get back to normal (I predict sometime in 2020) so for the next couple of weeks I will be using my travel razor the Wolfman Guerrilla, it’s funny that my travel razors are the ones I’ve used the most.
proxy.php

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, as Vonnegut said, strange travel invitations are dancing lessons from God. And/but/however . . . are you ever going to get around to rating something that’s not a Gillette? How is your Wolfman not on that list?

Well, as Vonnegut said, strange travel invitations are dancing lessons from God. And/but/however . . . are you ever going to get around to rating something that’s not a Gillette? How is your Wolfman not on that list?

I will but the reason to start the quest was to dust off my vintage razors because all I was using was modern razors, I’m making a point to rate the vintage ones first so I can ensure it happens

Back to the quest. It’s been months. I’ve been using my Wolfman Guerrilla a lot due to travel. A great razor, but I like variety. So I can’t think of a better way to get back at it with my 55 Superspeed Flare Tip. This was my first DE razor and lured me away from straights at 0530 in the morning. Well I remember when I first got it I found it way too mild (my only frame of reference was straight razors then). Well I do have a soft spot for this one. This razor is the reason I wanted to do the quest in the first place to revisit some of my forgotten vintage razors. Well I have razors that cost many times this one (I paid a whooping $5 for it) but as the years have gone on my technique has improved and I can get a great shave from this razor. Best part about the shave from this razor. No irritation no weepers and I don’t think I could cut myself if I tried. I also think I could shave 2-3 times a day with no issues. So it’s refreshing shaves like this that remind me you don’t need the latest and greatest expensive razor to have a good shave, so back to my first DE, first brush, and first cream to remind me why I fell in love with DE razors. With a bit of buffing and touch ups I got a solid 21/25 shave from this humble razor
proxy.php

So I’m hoping for a little stability being home consistently for a bit. Well I finished the week with the Super Speed and yet again the mild razors keep surprising me. Yes they take a lot of touch ups to get there but no nicks, weepers and no irritation allow me to shave comfortably every day. The Super Speed is in a 3 way tie for second place with the Rocket and Aristocrat Jr. The Super Speed came in with an average of 19.86/25 well this week is shaping up to be a good one with an first shave at 20/25 the Gillette 195 Fatboy. This one was refurbished by Delta Echo so it should be mechanically sound and dialed in.
proxy.php

What brush is the one in the last post @Senate515?
It looks so nice. Can you please give a feedback on the Snowman tuxedo brush also?

Thank you in advance. Nice journal.

So I’m hoping for a little stability being home consistently for a bit. Well I finished the week with the Super Speed and yet again the mild razors keep surprising me. Yes they take a lot of touch ups to get there but no nicks, weepers and no irritation allow me to shave comfortably every day. The Super Speed is in a 3 way tie for second place with the Rocket and Aristocrat Jr. The Super Speed came in with an average of 19.86/25 well this week is shaping up to be a good one with an first shave at 20/25 the Gillette 195 Fatboy. This one was refurbished by Delta Echo so it should be mechanically sound and dialed in.
proxy.php

It looks so nice. Can you please give a feedback on the Snowman tuxedo brush also?

That brush is a custom made group brush for the Shaving Soap and Good Stink Facebook group. Milton at Turn N Shave made it. Because he couldn’t ship with a badger knot outside the US I bought a Maggard 26mm 2 band for it, it turned out nicely, I set the loft pretty high, but it still has enough backbone to load soap easily. The snowman tuxedo is a super soft brush. Can’t go wrong for the price, I don’t use it all that often, I reach for my Wolf Whiskers Black Wolf more often I think it has a little more backbone but similar soft tips

That brush is a custom made group brush for the Shaving Soap and Good Stink Facebook group. Milton at Turn N Shave made it. Because he couldn’t ship with a badger knot outside the US I bought a Maggard 26mm 2 band for it, it turned out nicely, I set the loft pretty high, but it still has enough backbone to load soap easily. The snowman tuxedo is a super soft brush. Can’t go wrong for the price, I don’t use it all that often, I reach for my Wolf Whiskers Black Wolf more often I think it has a little more backbone but similar soft tips

The snowman tuxedo is a super soft brush. Can’t go wrong for the price, I don’t use it all that often, I reach for my Wolf Whiskers Black Wolf more often I think it has a little more backbone but similar soft tips

Thanks man!

Fatboy week is all wrapped up and it was a good week. I’ve been doing this quest with using the same blades in each razor, a Gillette Silver Blue, and a Feather. Well this scared me a bit with this razor as the only time I’ve used a Feather I had a horrible shave. So with this trepidation sort of once bitten twice shy I did it anyways and I’m glad I did. I must of had a bad blade previously. I was pleasantly surprised the 195 being a shorter razor is nimble and easy to grip and maneuver. I used the razor on 9 and it rewarded me with effortless shaves, I did have to pay a little extra attention to my trouble spot, so this razor probably won’t be a top pick as I have razors that seem to manage it better. But the Fatboy had a respectable total of 138 or a daily average of 19.71/25. So really the third highest score so far since currently there is a 3 way tie for 2nd place. The Fatboy is sitting in 5th place.
proxy.php

I just came a cross this journal. It's a nice concept and I hope you're able to continue these ratings. Like anyone else reading this, I am curious how the modern stack up against the vintage razors. I see you lean toward modern any time you need a break or travel. Just curious, could you post the list of your collection, or is that part of the suspense too?

Top Bottom