What's new

Quest for one razor to rule them all journal

I’ve used the Tatara for a few days and it has been a great first impression but I had something else show up that I’ve been waiting awhile for so the New short comb will have to wait a few days longer because I will be using the BBS1 for a few days.
proxy.php

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve been distracted from the quest for a couple of weeks due to a few razors showing up and I’ve been getting some first impressions of them so no ratings at this time of those but I think it will be tough to beat the BBS1 it may be my new favorite razor (it could have been the anticipation) but I had many other good shaves with the Modern Shaving A1 and Tatara Masume OC no ratings for them they will be scored well down the road but back to the quest next razor up will be a Gillette New Short Comb
proxy.php

Gillette New Short comb. Well a good shave a score of 18 out of 25. This is a great razor mostly comfortable and close. The one area it didn’t perform was my trouble spot but few razors do. I’m seeing why so many love this razor looking forward to next week comparing the Long Comb.
proxy.php

Halfway through Short Comb week and I have to say a good razor but I can say this one will not be around the top already, I have been noticing some tugging on my upper lip and more blade feel than I like. I'm willing to tolerate minor tugging and blade feel if it can be used daily and delivers stellar shaves, my experience so far is that this is not the case, I've been getting good shaves but not great. I'm not managing to knock out some of my problem spots as well as I'd like or can with other razors.I will see if a Feather blade overcomes the experience so far.

New short comb week is done and although a good razor it just didn’t agree with my face/growth as well as some other razors have up to this point. The New Short comb had an average of 17.14286/25 so it is currently sitting in last place. Don’t get me wrong I could shave with this razor everyday and be happy but I have razors that give better returns for my face. We will see if the long comb version works better for me next.
proxy.php

@Senate515, I am really enjoying your reviews and lovely shaves. Would you consider posting a list of the razors you have rated, with their ratings?

Also, congratulations on getting a hold of the BBS1. And that Canadian Gillette Goodwill is a true thing of beauty.

This week is Gillette New Long Comb. Having just finished using the Short Comb I immediately notice these razors are quite similar. I’ve convinced myself the Long Comb has more Blade feel by less tugging sensation but it’s only one shave. I do notice similar results I didn’t get a bbs finish with my trouble spot of scarring and my neck is not as close as I’ve gotten with other vintage razors but not a bad shave I will see how the week goes.
proxy.php

Rank Razor Avg Overall Weight (g)
1 Gillette Old 19.42857 136 50
2 Gillette New Improved 19.14286 134 75
3 Gillette Goodwill 18.42857 129 51
4 Gillette Single Ring 17.71429 124 51
5 Gillette New Short Comb 17.14286 120 53
@Tokyospike as requested. I have been getting sidetracked from the quest quite easily due to travel and new razors showing up but that's why I called this a quest because I figured it would take a year or so and at this point the way things have been going it might be more like two. I came up with a 25 point scale for shaves 10 points to quality of shave, 10 points to how my face tolerates the shave and 5 points to how the shave feels while conducting the shave.

Great! Thanks. My own search (though blades, not razors) took about 10 months. Travel slowed me down a bit. But it’s not a race, so all good.

This is nice to see the ratings in one place from time to time. Enjoy!

Conclusion of New Long Comb week. Although very similar I had much more enjoyable shaves with the LC compared to the SC New. This is a good razor and I can see why many like it. I could shave every day with this razor and be happy. I do have one complaint and that is it still didn’t give me the results on my trouble area like some other razors do. This razor cut well with both Gillette Silver Blues and Feather blades something I noticed that the SC didn’t get along with Feather. This razor was smooth and did not irritate my skin. It’s weight comes in at 51g so in the ballpark of most Gillette razors of the time. It’s final score was 123 so an 17.57/25 average so all and all not bad.
proxy.php

Gillette Senator week
This is one of a few OC TTO models Gillette ever made. But this razor feels night and day different than other Gillette OCs, more Blade feel but not harsh or unpleasant. Maybe it’s just a different feel than a 3 piece razor. Nonetheless it was a good shave still not that great shave that I’m looking for. No weepers or irritation so it checks important boxes for me. First shave scored a 18/25 for me.
proxy.php

End of the Gillette Senator week. The senator is a good razor from the turning point in Gillette’s history the last of the OCs. I had some great shaves and I definitely had better shaves with the Gillette Silver Blue than the Feather blade. It is similar in weight to most other razors from that time at 53 grams. The overall score for this razor was 126 which worked out to an average of 18/25. This could be a daily driver. I did notice with the Feather Blade it was prone to delivering weepers. Right now it sits in the middle of the pack of the vintage razors I’ve used. A Razorock package showed up a couple of days ago so the vintage razors are taking another break so I can spend some time with the Game Changer and SLOC
proxy.php

Quite a decent week of shaves with the Game Changer. I got enjoyable DFSs but not overly close on my problem areas so the Game Changer will not be replacing my favorite razors but it does have a place as a travel razor or a dumb reach. This razor is well built and at a great price point so I would highly recommend it for someone who just wants a good shave with a step up in quality over the standard plated razor. I would be more interested if a more aggressive base plate is released. No scores were assigned as I need to learn a razor before I test it. Next week the Razorock SLOC. Then if no other razors show up next Sunday will be back to scored vintage shaves. But the Game Changer will be included in the quest after all the vintage razors have been rated
proxy.php

I've got the Razorock SLOC and Gamechanger out of my system. The SLOC is a good affordable razor, I find it more efficient than my PAA DOC. I can highly recommend it for someone on a budget, it's still not going to replace a bunch of my other razors. So barring my Karve E and F plates showing up before Sunday. I will likely be shaving with my Canadian Tech service set next week.

Back to the quest, This weeks razor is a NDC Gillette Tech Canadian Khaki service set. This razor is fairly light at 40g. Loaded up with a Gillette Silver Blue Blade, this razor delivered a 20/25 shave, not super efficient but smooth and mild feeling it allowed me to go back to spots more than I normally could to end up with a darn near BBS shave with no weepers or irritation. I can really see why people like these straight forward no drama every day shaver. My only complaint is that the Canadian Military should still issue these they are great.
proxy.php

It’s the end of the Canadian Gillette Tech Khaki set week, I’ve picked up a couple of these razors affordability and I’m glad I did. I got them because of the history behind them but they are wonderful razors. Mild, but close and smooth. They are on the light side at 40g but they allow you to have good control and touch up a lot giving me an irritation free shave that ends up being BBS or close. This is what I’m looking for a good shave that I can repeat day after day. I did notice some variability when using a feather blade but this razor works extremely well with a Gillette Silver Blue. So according to the score this Tech is now #1 with an average score of 19.57/25.
proxy.php

The next couple of weeks are going to be free for all weeks with new razors and baseplates showing up, and some travel for work. But today I used the Qshave Parthenon for the first time and found it quite enjoyable
proxy.php

Tell us more on the Qshave Parthenon, if you can. If you could compare it with the Slim it would be great. I read good things about this new razor.

Tell us more on the Qshave Parthenon, if you can. If you could compare it with the Slim it would be great. I read good things about this new razor.

I just posted my first impressions on another forum (DFS). As far as compare it with a Slim I cannot at this time, that’s the reason I started the quest was I haven’t used a lot of my vintage razors in quite some time

Top Bottom