What's new

Please Advice

Hello everyone,

I'm on the lookout for a premium DE razor, and with the plethora of boutique brands and models out there, I could really use your expert opinion.

I wanted to share my current favorite— the Mühle 'Rocca.' This particular razor weighs 95.6 grams (head: 40.1g/handle: 55.5g). In my modest collection, I also have the Mühle R 41, a vintage Gillette TV 58, and a Gillette open comb from the 1920s. While the R 41 is too aggressive, the two Gillettes are too mild. I used to love a heavier model, the UK-made Gillette Aristocrat, several years ago. The Rocca, however, strikes the perfect balance for me.

Given this information, I'm curious to know your recommendations for brands/models from Rocnel, Lambda, Haircut & Shave Co. etc. Thanks in advance!

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
We don't have any razors in common, unfortunately, so I don't have any recommendations. I'm sure people who do will chime in soon for you.

I have a Rocnel Elite and a Lambda Athena, both excellent... and I have often admired the Haircut and Shave razors but haven't managed to buy one yet.

There are so many amazing CNC manufactured razors out there now, I'm sure you'll find just the right one.

I can only advice on razors I tried, and for something quite efficient without being as agressive as the rocca, the yates 921 h is very good!

For something more on the smooth side, the karve overlander is very good too.

But from what you say I think the yates 921 h one could work for you.

I think the Lambda Athena will make you happy. Also the Timeless in your choice of titanium or stainless steel. I'd suggest the .95 baseplate but if it's too much for you exchange it for the .68.

thank you. yes indeed, as already mentioned, there are too many nice cnc machined razors out there. in fact, i had never heard of yates! lambdas pique my curiosity.

Zifnab, in my earlier comment, I was specifically referring to the Lambdas. However, I appreciate your suggestion to explore the other razors you mentioned. Thank you for your input.

I haven’t used a Muhle but I understand it to be fairly aggressive. I have a Colobri (spelling could be off) that I consider aggressive but is very comfortable to use.

I have a Rocca and R41. The Rocca is a very nice shaver. The R41 only gets used if I happen to skip a couple of days shaving which isn’t often.

I would look at the Athena…just shaved this morning with mine and what a fine performer.

My other two favorites are the Blackbird and Yates 921-H which both shave better then the Rocca (for me). I’m a daily shaver and these razors work great.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Timeless Ti or Rockwell 6S - latter one has 3 plates with 6 different aggressiveness setting. I use #2, but I have very sensitive baby skin and some turkey neck geometry....The Timeless I use now a .68 plate, and it is a vast improvement over the 0.5 mm plate.

Another vote for a Yates from me. I have the Merica (from what I hear, it shaves very similarly to the 921-M) and the 921-H. They are the top for me.

Lambda Ares V2 or Athena. There are only 2 Ares left on the Lambda website at a reduced price. Grab it and you will never regret it.

Top Bottom