What's new

Pistols

Do some of you guys actually carry a gun, pistol or revolver any time you go out of the house? Let's say when you go out to buy some groceries at the local mall? Seriously, I really wonder.

Yup, I have a lot of folks unhappy with me. My "everywhere" gun? A Taurus Ultralight 85 stoked with 110 grain +Ps JHPs. When I'm able to, my 1911. Yup the 1911s are heavier, but they are also flat, which makes IWB carry much more comfortable. I cannot argue with the suggestion of the Sig or HK, both great guns.

My preferred pistol is and always will be a S&W 686. It's as simply designed as they come, very comfortable, well balanced, and nasty accurate. Sure, it only holds 6 rounds, but that should be enough for 6 targets.

+1

I was wondering if anyone else would mention that. A 686 has been my only handgun since about 1985. Dead solid reliable. Easy to shoot, easy to maintain. Damned loud, though.

Tim

Just got through purchasing my first personal handgun (not new to shooting, just never had the means/impetus to buy one) and picked up a HK P2000 V3 in 9mm. Quite nice, versatile, light and well balanced, definitely worth a look. I was cross shopping Glocks, the XD, the old standby issue Beretta, and the Sig p226. Had it between the Sig and HK and took the HK since it just felt better for me.

And on concealed carry, that was one of my first priorities was to get that license, but has anybody else noticed that just before and since Nov 4 the gun stores and permitting lines have been UNREAL?! I'd love to own a gun shop right now!

I messed around with different brands for a few years. Best inexpensive gun I found was Glock. I have never tried the XD, however.

That said, I saved the money and bought a nice 1911 and that is by far my favorite pistol.

$600 Glock
$2500 1911

Just depends how much you like to shoot and how long you want to wait.

Just got through purchasing my first personal handgun (not new to shooting, just never had the means/impetus to buy one) and picked up a HK P2000 V3 in 9mm. Quite nice, versatile, light and well balanced, definitely worth a look. I was cross shopping Glocks, the XD, the old standby issue Beretta, and the Sig p226. Had it between the Sig and HK and took the HK since it just felt better for me.

And on concealed carry, that was one of my first priorities was to get that license, but has anybody else noticed that just before and since Nov 4 the gun stores and permitting lines have been UNREAL?! I'd love to own a gun shop right now!

The P2000 is an excellent gun. I am a huge fan of H&K, they make great guns, plain and simple quality, great guns!!!

I read something online a bit ago that said gun/ammo sales jumped 30% in October. Fear of then soon to be President Elect Obama taking away gun owners rights hit hard!

It would be a great time to be in the business that's for sure!

M

modern man

Jesus, thanks for the dialog.

Gonna have me a good read!

My last words on the subject. (OK maybe not!)

A friend at work is thinking about buying a used S&W M-59. I said no way! At rest the springs in a revolver are at rest. But an automatic pistol will always have it's springs under compression. "Not Cocked" means slight compression for an Auto's springs. "Cocked" means full compression of an Auto's springs. The older the Automatic the more stress that has been applied to the springs.

If I wanted to buy an auto it would be new or else a used pistol PLUS I would buy a spring pack from Numrich Gun Parts Corp. Follow link http://www.e-gunparts.com/

Remember that an Auto is always depended on cleanliness plus spring pressure plus cartridge pressure after the firing pin moves forward. Revolvers will always fire as long as the hammer is back and he the cylinder is rotated. Again the quote from John Dillinger "Never trust a DA's deal or an Automatic!"

Short answer; if you are buying an automatic used then replace the springs. If you are buying a revolver used then you can use as is!

My preferred source of pistol spring packs is Numrich http://www.e-gunparts.com/

As far as the S&W autos, they are equipped with a decocker. All your friend has to do is flip the control lever on the slide down to safely decock the gun. The magazine springs in good quality magazines will last for years under compression. Your friend can load the mag with one less round and still have 13 rounds in it if he worries about it. The 59 series of S&W autos are excellent guns that the Illinois State Police carried for years.

L

Loucks

I know most people consider the CZ-75B to be a Beretta knock off, but I love mine and am planning on selling my Ruger-P95 to buy another one.

Who in the world believes CZ-75 series to be a Beretta knock-off? :confused:

I quite like my Glock 19 in a Comp-Tac MTAC IWB holster. FBI tests indicate no significant difference in ballistic performance among 9mm Parabellum, .40 S&W, and .45ACP, and "Stopping Power!" is classic armchair commando nonsense.

"Stopping power" came about back when all they had was lead, round nose bullets. Back then you needed more mass/energy to do damage. Evan's and Marshall's books on the subject, while not perfect, are some of the best studies out there.

I own a Springfield XD9 and, while my horizons are narrow especially when compared to folks like DeaconKC, it is by far my favorite handgun. Fits perfectly in my hand and is spot on every time with every squeeze. I would carry it everywhere if it was allowed in IL, my non college residence.

I must agree with everyone here the Springfield XD is a fine weapon. Another one to look into, I say this because it is A.) a compact B.) affordable and C.) after spending some quality time with one give it my seal of approval. The Kahr K-40 40 S&W.

Disclaimer: To quote John Quigley, "I said I didn't have much use for one. Didn't say I didn't know how to use it." I prefer long guns.

:wink:
proxy.php

Steve

I really like my H&K USP45 Compact. It responds well to instinctive aiming (a plus in those situations where you really, really need a gun), has manageable recoil and great balance.
This, definitely.
The H&K USP line tends to be pricey, but they are very nice shooters. They've gone through the same arduous torture-testing that made the HK Mk23 the defacto sidearm for the US special forces. Reliable as all hell.

Personally from a gunsmith’s standpoint I prefer a gun with an external hammer. If a gun has a hammer it has to be cocked in order to fire either manually or by squeezing the trigger (double action). I am also a huge fan of a de-cocking lever or a combination de-cocker/safety lever. Guns such as the Glock and Springfield XD's are always cocked (unless dry fired on an empty chamber). The action of loading a round cocks the weapons and the firing pin remains under spring tension. I am also certified through Glock. I can tell you that the trigger safe and firing pin block do a great job of restraining the firing pin until the trigger is squeezed but I've always been a little leery of the possibility of an accidental discharge with a firing pin that is always ready to go. In their defense I own a couple of Glocks and a couple of Springfield XD’s but I don’t carry either one of them. Now, de-cocking levers... The H&K USP series, Beretta/Taurus 92 series, and Sig-Sauer all have them. Glock and Springfield do not. There is no safe way to de-**** them short of dry firing them on an empty chamber. I prefer a de-cocking lever.
You and I, we'll get along. :biggrin:
I really prefer a long heavy double-action trigger for a first pull (for safety's sake) with the option to **** it manually for a short pull and greater follow-up accuracy. The Glocks and some other DAO's seem like it's too easy to discharge accidentally (esp. for the unsavory bunch who don't practice proper trigger discipline).

Although I do like the way Walther did their P99. No external hammer, striker-fired, yet it has a decocking lever with a trigger that operates almost exactly like a standard SA/DA.

I carry a .357 Colt Python. 4" barrel. I can't imagine enjoying a pistol any more than I enjoy this one. Really an awesome piece of equipment :thumbup1:.

I'm looking to get another, this thread has been SOMEWHAT of a help :lol:. Choosing another pistol is a harder decision than deciding which shaving accruement to buy next.

That's one of the nicest things about the shooting hobby. There are so many different types, actions, grip angles, etc. that half the fun is trying out the different stuff. Dare I say it.....YMMV!:biggrin:

Top Bottom