What's new

Grass cutting season is upon us

I bought a Kubota compact tractor with a 60" belly mower and a front end loader over 20 years ago. Its never been in the shop. I have done all the maintenance, oils, filters, belts, tires and even a few hydro cylinders and hoses. With proper maintenance, they will last forever. Although quite expensive when new, this machine has paid for itself many times over. It has cut many acres of grass, plowed snow, graded driveways, moved mountains of dirt and gravel and loaded/unloaded trucks and trailers. Handiest tool I've ever had.

It’s hard to say when I will be able to get that first cut in. I can’t remember a wetter April. It’s so wet I leave muddy foot prints in the grass. At one time this was a 10 ft stream running through our backyard. From past experience it will take at least 4 days without rain to be dry enough to cut it.
IMG_4717.jpeg

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
Since this is also primarily a razor and shaving site, I'll add one other thing about these home lawn cutting machines.

One thing I learned a very long time ago is that the factory blades on most of the consumer models (and quite a few of the near commercial models) are pretty lousy. And so are most of the cheap spares sold at the big box and hardware stores. And they cause all sorts of issues, including a poor clumpy cut and slowly clogging up the deck discharge passages from poor air velocity.

This past summer, I watched our young new neighbor down the street as he struggled with his shiny brand new big box Deere with shiny new Chinese blades make a mess of his lawn every weekend. The blade thing is something that most gentlemen eventually need to discover on their own, and they don't necessarily like old relics like me giving them advice. So I kept my old mouth shut.

But if I ever had to buy another new machine, the first thing I would do before putting a drop of gas into it is remove the factory blades, and drop a set of commercial-grade blades on it. We've been running Oregon G5s on our old machine for many years. They hold up sharp all season, resharpen very well many times over, are heavy and more stable on the spindles, discharge with authority, and keep the deck very clean. Like good razor blades, they're worth the extra money.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I've got a pretty small city lot and I purchased an EGO about 6 years ago. The only thing I've done is sharpen the blade and put the battery on the charger.

I have the same gas can that’s the spawn of satan that you speak of. Some needle nose pliers and remove the strainer inside the container and break the red plastic safety on the spout and you have defeated the devil himself. My tank retains the spring push when you fill, no lockout, and when you refill it the gas stays inside when your pumping.

Larry
I know my opinion is firmly in the minority but I love the new style cans. With the new style, I invert the fuel can, position the safety on the lip of the fuel tank and let the weight of the can and fuel push down on the safety lever and fill the tank. The safety lever is curved to hold it on the gas tank lip. All I have to do is balance the fuel and the can; the weight of the can is supported by the fuel tank instead of me. If your tank gets full before the can is empty, you just lift up and the fuel stops pouring.

I wouldn't mind one without a perimeter wire like a luba, but for now I still like cutting my own lawn. A zero turn 1 day hopefully

Last year I bought an Ego. Electricity I can understand. Long ago when I was in college, the President of the SAE said, "Gentlemen, no one understands how the internal combustion engine operates and I, for one, am convinced it is the work of the Devil."

I have 5 gallon plastic Jerry Cans I bought several years ago, don't know the brand off the top of my head, but they had the government mandated "no spill" spouts. First thing was to go to Menards and buy replacement plain EZ Pour "water can" (cough cough) spouts, vents and caps. The spouts are about 8 bucks and they have ones that fit a variety of gas cans.

View attachment 1826062
Brilliant! I have an old motorized push mower; I always end up spilling some gas when filling it up. This might help. I'll see if they have any at my local Ace Hardware, Home Depot, or Lowe's (no Menard's over here).

Ad Astra

The Instigator
+1 on the Craftsman gas edger - nice build, and it made the work easier than with the electric. Way more powerful; why did we buy that weak electric one, eh. No longer the 2-stroke gas/oil nonsense, uses regular mower (non ethanol) gas.

AA

Top Bottom