What's new

PIF Giveaway Game (Round 6) - I miss Christmas!

So! What's in the box, indeed! It seems as though I've been sniped!

Apparently, someone named "Vezino," has been monitoring my communications for quite some time. Materials of extreme generosity were deployed to my habitation yesterday, and I was caught unawares!

As a result, I was held captive by the most unique shave of my life today!

$uploadfromtaptalk1401807064562.jpg

I am in awe and appreciation of your generosity and sneakiness KJ. :ouch1:

Two questions:
1) Is the Vie Long horse hair, boar, or a mix?
2) When shaving with the shavette, are you supposed to keep the guard on? If so do you have to move it to the opposite side when you switch hands? I shaved with it off this morning, and was rewarded with a DFS. I could have gotten BBS, but without the guard on... that thing is a bit scary! But I LOVED the Personna blade!!! So comfortable!

Here is a picture of the Bonus Box "bonus". RazoRock is entirely appropriate for a Bach that rocks. I have never owned any, and I am excited to shave with RazoRock for the very first time.
$Bonus box bonus.jpg

The next mystery gift was wrapped first in holiday wrap marked "Avon Calling".
$Avon calling wrap I.jpg

Inside the outer wrapping was a second wrap, also labeled "Avon Calling", featuring THE AVENGER.
$Avon calling wrap II.jpg

Here are the contents of the "Avon Calling" package: An "Old Iron Horse" shaving mug, some vintage aftershave (Avon Blend No. 7) and some artisan bath soap from Mississippi. Love the aftershave. Haven't tried the soap yet.
$Avon calling contents.jpg

Wow. I came to B & B to explore soap, and now I have a new mug and artisan bath soap. The vintage aftershave is right up my alley, as I am a Clubman guy and one of the Chosen Ones with the VEG.

Thank you, mystery benefactor! I will enjoy these very much.

Lane

Next up: Mystery Box #2.

Last edited:
The second mystery gift was wrapped in gold paper, with a picture of a curly-haired tarantula on the top.

$spider wrap.jpg

What the mystery benefactor didn't know is that I have been lurking around The Nib. I have been afraid to spend to much time there, for fear it will fuel a new AD. I have been saddened as of late that penmanship is not taught in schools any more, at least around here. I remember practicing loop after loop in the third grade. I have recently resolved to step up my game in the notes and letters department. I spent six months of the last year in the hospital after a horrible auto accident (my car slipped on black ice). The cards and letters I received while in the hospital were literally life-giving to me.

$Tarantula box contents.jpg

Included in this box were a Sheaffer 100 with a medium nib, a converter partially filled with Noodler's "54th Massachusetts" blue-black ink, and samples of "Apache Sunset" and "Purple Martin" inks, along with a sample of the blue-black. A regular jar of Sheaffer ink will stand me in good stead to get started. Also included was a Rhodia dot pad for practicing. The best thing of all in the box was a handwritten note, explaining the things in the box.

$Spidey box contents.jpg

Thank you, Mystery Benefactor! I have never used a fountain pen before, and I am excited to give it a go! My grandmother always kept the books for her and my grandfather's drugstore with a Sheaffer fountain pen. I will think of her each time I use it.

Once again, the generosity of the members of B & B is mind boggling. I feel like my Benefactors have been reading my mail! These gifts felt so personal to me, and even though I have never met you, I know we are friends. Thank you, also, for allowing those of us who didn't qualify for the regular Round 6 game to participate in the fun and the good will. That was an extra effort that was certainly not expected and that was most thoughtful. Special thanks to VEZ for spearheading the fun.

Warm regards to all,

Lane

Last edited:
Apparently, someone named "Vezino," has been monitoring my communications for quite some time. Materials of extreme generosity were deployed to my habitation yesterday, and I was caught unawares!
Yes, so in case you all hadn't figured out before now, the extra super secret bonus box I hinted at along the way was always destined to go to Jessy. Reason? Well, since he started the addition of bonus gifts, I did not have one for him in the first package. The addition of the bonus gifts, that he started, made a very huge impact on the fun and success of this pass. As such I wanted to make sure I sent him a bonus at the end, so it would come full circle AND that his bonus was extra special. I did some digging and discovered a couple things that he did not yet have but expressed an interest in trying.

It should have been obvious that it was Jessy, but in case you really missed the “obvious” post, check #403. And I’m also guessing that Jessy never solved the blanks in post #405, LOL.

Two questions:
1) Is the Vie Long horse hair, boar, or a mix?
2) When shaving with the shavette, are you supposed to keep the guard on? If so do you have to move it to the opposite side when you switch hands? I shaved with it off this morning, and was rewarded with a DFS. I could have gotten BBS, but without the guard on... that thing is a bit scary! But I LOVED the Personna blade!!! So comfortable!

1. It's horse. You said before that you had only tried boar (at the time) and I figured you'd probably get a badger before you got a horse, so here you go. A bit floppy for my taste, but it does a great job with creams.

2. You can use it with or without the guard. But yes, if you use the guard it does need to be flipped, which is a real pain. I used a guard once or twice to try it. It's nice, but I haven't used one since. Without it, it is just like a real straight.

Here is a picture of the Bonus Box "bonus". RazoRock is entirely appropriate for a Bach that rocks. I have never owned any, and I am excited to shave with RazoRock for the very first time.
As I mentioned, there were two bonuses in the box. Keep looking.

The next mystery gift was wrapped first in holiday wrap marked "Avon Calling".
Inside the outer wrapping was a second wrap, also labeled "Avon Calling", featuring THE AVENGER.
It was posted earlier, but the reason for the double wrapping, it the first wrapping was tearing at one of the recipient's homes, so he had his wife re-wrap it before he sent it back out, so there was no peeking.

The second mystery gift was wrapped in gold paper, with a picture of a curly-haired tarantula on the top.
The tarantula was not the clue. That picture has been a part of the box from Day 1. Intended to give the first recipient (Jessy) a good case of the heebie jeebies, since I know he doesn't care for spiders. Under the spider, the Package said "Just a NIBble" hence everything inside being associated with the Nib forum.

Lane, I'm so glad you enjoyed the gifts. I'm glad the remaining packages went to a good home. This has been Awesome!

Yes, so in case you all hadn't figured out before now, the extra super secret bonus box I hinted at along the way was always destined to go to Jessy. Reason? Well, since he started the addition of bonus gifts, I did not have one for him in the first package. The addition of the bonus gifts, that he started, made a very huge impact on the fun and success of this pass. As such I wanted to make sure I sent him a bonus at the end, so it would come full circle AND that his bonus was extra special. I did some digging and discovered a couple things that he did not yet have but expressed an interest in trying.

It should have been obvious that it was Jessy, but in case you really missed the “obvious” post, check #403. And I’m also guessing that Jessy never solved the blanks in post #405, LOL.

First, let me say, KJ... EPIC Multiquote!

Second, I had a pretty good idea that the surprise was coming to me, but I didn't want to say anything for fear of looking like a schmuck who just wants stuff. I only added the beignet mix to make things fun for the next few guys. I had no idea it would become what it did! It made me happy to see the guys coming up with just the right extra for the next up! It truly is better to give than to receive!

1. It's horse. You said before that you had only tried boar (at the time) and I figured you'd probably get a badger before you got a horse, so here you go. A bit floppy for my taste, but it does a great job with creams.

2. You can use it with or without the guard. But yes, if you use the guard it does need to be flipped, which is a real pain. I used a guard once or twice to try it. It's nice, but I haven't used one since. Without it, it is just like a real straight.
You are right, up until this morning, I hadn't tried any of the surprise items. You must have done some digging though, because it's been quite a while since I mentioned them!

I gave the brush a go with Haslinger Schafmilch today, and it worked fine, but I noticed it took a little more effort to get the soap hydrated than it normally does with my Badger or Synths. I'll have some fun whipping up some test lathers with some of my seldom used creams!

I think I could get used to shaving with the Shavette! I don't think I'll ever use the guard, but I will keep the guard on if a blade is present and the razor is not in use... just to mitigate any potential finger-endangering.

The tarantula was not the clue. That picture has been a part of the box from Day 1. Intended to give the first recipient (Jessy) a good case of the heebie jeebies, since I know he doesn't care for spiders. Under the spider, the Package said "Just a NIBble" hence everything inside being associated with the Nib forum.

The Tarantula was hilarious! I do, indeed, hate spiders! ALMOST as much as I hate snakes! I'm so pleased that it's made it all the way through to the glorious end!

This place has been so generous to me, and the efforts of people like KJ, and the gentlemen involved in this box are the norm... and NOT the exception here at B&B.

In that vein, be on the lookout sometime soon for something. Those of you who are contributors already know what I'm talking about, but noncontributors will have a chance too! Just my little attempt to repay kindness with kindness.

Last thing... the blanks were either H O R S E Y or B I R D I E

Lane, I think you missed something.

KJ, I am terrified that I haven't been able to find the second bonus gift, for fear that I will not be able to express gratitude appropriately! I have been through the box, and the trash bin, with a fine tooth comb, but to no avail.

Lane

First, let me say, KJ... EPIC Multiquote!

Last thing... the blanks were either...
Nope, the blanks were not a clue as to what the surprise was, but who it was going to. LOL

And I LOVE the multiquote. It seems few around here have mastered it.

KJ, I am terrified that I haven't been able to find the second bonus gift
It was a small one ounce sample vial of aftershave. I suppose it would have been easy to miss among the packing peanuts.

I agree with Jessy. This pass was a blast.

I love Christmas for so many reasons and one of the joys for me is seeing someone enjoying what I was able to give them. I love seeing them open the gift and seeing the look of joy on their face. It's the only thing I missed in this pass, but it hit all the other feels of Christmas giving.

Great job everyone!!!! :thumbup:

Richard,

I know, right? People talk about the generous spirit of the members here. Mere words can hardly describe that spirit accurately. I've said it before, but it bears repeating: I feel like I made a bunch of new friends through this experience.

Lane

Last edited:
Top Bottom