What's new

Pic of the week!

Tokina 11-18 at 11mm, f/2.8, 30s, ISO 1600

$DSR_0340s.jpg

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
That struck me just right William. Has all the tones from black to white. Amazing reflections and the canal just invites you to look deeper into the picture.

"Split Decision"
$14073227042_ac37f7aacc_b.jpg
A Stanford White-designed house. Sadly, everything to the left side of that cleavage is slated for demolition.

Arboretum Poortbulten, Pentax Spotmatic SPII, Kiron 2.8/28mm, Kodak BW400CN

(Scanned with an old Epson 4990 flatbed scanner ... I need a new one sometime!)

Last edited:
A background shot I took on Easter. I like shots like this for customizing various web page profiles or devices, they come in handy for such things adding a nice personal touch. Sort of my own stock photo gallery.

DSC_0450 by f/stop & GO, on Flickr

-Xander

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
$image.jpg
$image.jpg
$image.jpg

Recent trip to IL. Taken with iPhone 5 while on the road. Something is on the inside of my camera lens. :cursing:

Pretty new to shooting with a DSLR. My wife and I have been taking some classes at a local camera store, which have been great; I'm learning a lot!

One of our assignments after our last class was to try bracketing, to take pictures at different exposures. We were in the city yesterday, and I was able to combine my exposures into an HDR shot:

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1400441554.862969.jpg

That's nice.
That is a perfect example of HDR done properly. It pops the details of the darker areas, but it does not make it look like a screencap from a video game.

WAY too many HDR shots end up looking more like a painting or something a graphic artist whipped out of paintshop.
Their "high dynamic range" ends up with virtually no dynamic range... it's all flattened out with fake-looking starbursts from light sources and cartoonish colors, and it ends up destroying any depth of field.

In the 80s, we used to refer to music of such nature as "overproduced"

That's nice.
That is a perfect example of HDR done properly. It pops the details of the darker areas, but it does not make it look like a screencap from a video game.

WAY too many HDR shots end up looking more like a painting or something a graphic artist whipped out of paintshop.
Their "high dynamic range" ends up with virtually no dynamic range... it's all flattened out with fake-looking starbursts from light sources and cartoonish colors, and it ends up destroying any depth of field.

In the 80s, we used to refer to music of such nature as "overproduced"

Thank you. I actually posted the version I made yesterday, which I think is a little too dark. I have a newer one that I lightened a little bit, which I think looks better.

Top Bottom