What's new

Photobucket substitute?

What he said. I went there when Photobucket started holding your pics. hostage for $500 a year. I don't care if they have enabled the links again; I'm never using them again. Now I just expect to use 'puter space, I have an external drive.

I recently downloaded the free Gimp program, but still learning how to use it.

GIMP - GNU Image Manipulation Program
You mean old photobucket URLs that had been posted in online forums for free until their sudden change in policy a few years ago are now working again without the owners making payment? That would be welcome news.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
You mean old photobucket URLs that had been posted in online forums for free until their sudden change in policy a few years ago are now working again without the owners making payment? That would be welcome news.

When I heard about the Photobucket new change in policy I checked my posts here and the links were working again. But...since they broke the links my internet server has changed and so has my email address. When I try to log in they have a "security" thing that they want to send a message to me to verify I'm me...the email address they have is no longer valid. And I can't get in touch with a live person.

It's kinda like "Please say the reason you are calling."

"I need a live person."

"Does not compute. Goodbye."

That's the jist, but I haven't found a phone number for them.

I'll just use an external storage device for the photos. The f you word to them...they lost me.

Thanks for the feedback @simon1. I agree about photobucket, when they changed their policy overnight it seemed like a hostage taking and demanding ransom payments. If they could have only sold their service to google, facebook, or figured how to sell enough advertisements to cover their server expenses and profits that would have been great. But the way they executed their policy change was a huge black eye IMO. Even I had been a paying customer my first priority would have been to move away from their service.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Thanks for the feedback @simon1. I agree about photobucket, when they changed their policy overnight it seemed like a hostage taking and demanding ransom payments. If they could have only sold their service to google, facebook, or figured how to sell enough advertisements to cover their server expenses and profits that would have been great. But the way they executed their policy change was a huge black eye IMO. Even I had been a paying customer my first priority would have been to move away from their service.

Yeah, from what I heard EVERYONE was jumping up and down and screaming about their pictures, that were supposed to be stored for free, were being held hostage. Then they enabled the links again trying to get people to come back...I don't think it worked.

I'll just stick with a thumb drive or something for storage.

Looks like photobucket might have done the "right thing" and restored old pictures links in forums like B&B. I was reading an old thread and pictures were now visible after having a photobucket watermark added. I do not mind the watermark or them trying to collect some revenue from advertising. It was just upsetting how they originally provided picture URLs so that they could be linked externally, to only change policy years later.
Good to see that they have not totally reneged.

Top Bottom