What's new

On Expensive Razors . . .

This was my review on Judge.Me - i posted something similar on another thread (I can't remember or find). It's not for everyone, but it was for me...

Pricelss
Oscar Wilde is credited with the quote, "A cynic is a man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing".
I see the Tedalus as more of a mirror into our inner shaver than anything else. Many Chinese and Japanese spend literal decades learning how to properly conduct their respective tea ceremonies. Not very economical or utilitarian if all you want is a cup of tea. Likewise, spending 4 hours for two servings of tea doesn't feel very practical, yet the ones I have participated in are highlights of my life (well not the first one, I was still a Western Barbarian :) ).

We have the same thing with our relationship to shaving. Some of us see it as a chore to get through the day (well probably not reading this) and others see it as an avocation - a passionate interest or a secondary area of expertise that brings enjoyment and fulfillment that we spend an inordinate amount of time experiencing and pursuing (but never reaching) perfection. I can shave in under 10 minutes, but I most decidedly choose not to.

I have a kintsugi bowl that from a utilitarian perspective is probably worth a couple of bucks. It is basically broken pottery held together with gold-infused lacquer. Maybe $10 worth of material and a couple of hours of labor. So its actual costs exceed its utility from the get-go. But to me it is priceless. It is beautiful to my eyes. It helps me appreciate the beauty of imperfection and impermanence. It teaches me to value the history and journey of objects, embracing their flaws as part of their overall beauty. It speaks of all who came together, each bringing their skill, experience, and knowledge across time - from the original potter, to those who used it, to those who broke it, to those who honored it with the repair.

I see the same thing with the Velocity-ONE - a single person's pursuit of "perfection" achieved through a network of skills, knowledge, and experiences - even in the packaging. Though not on the same scale, the same passion created Tesla, SpaceX, the MacIntosh Computer, and other things where technology, art, passion, vision, and engineering all come together to create something special.

Yes, I ordered one as soon as I saw it and understood it. Probably shouldn't have, wife says it is my next 10 birthday presents (which is significant as I am 70 :) ). A tool I will enjoy using, looking at, and contemplating its existence. Priceless...I look forward to it being in the family for a long time.

Oh yes, it shaves wonderfully too! Smooth with a very slight blade feel so you know that it is working. Enough heft to shave itself with no pressure. My first shave (Dorco Prime, Barrister & Mann Melange sample) was an enjoyable 3-pass BBS that lasted over 12 hours.
12 hours? for $900? I am getting 16 hours with my Konsul and both Lambdas for 1/3 the price. Again, EACH TO HIS OWN.
That said the Velocity One is a work of art.

B

Barney14

I would say I wouldn't spend that sort of money on a razor but at the moment I'm Larry Flint if the lottery numbers come in then I'd have one for sure.

Just incase a wealthy philanthropist from the former colonies would like to make an impoverished Brits day.......

Incidentally, the ultra expensive Tedalus Velocity-ONE is almost sold out. All the ones with stand included sold out a couple of weeks ago, and it looks like there are just two left of the razor without stand. I messaged Manuel to congratulate him and ask if he will make more, and he said he will.

12 hours? for $900? I am getting 16 hours with my Konsul and both Lambdas for 1/3 the price. Again, EACH TO HIS OWN.
That said the Velocity One is a work of art.
Oh, I agree, I get about 14 hours with my Konsul (and my Wunderbar - something about slants, but my beard grows fast)... but I honestly don't enjoy it as much. Besides, it gives me an excuse to shave again (not really, as it's still DFS+). I don't have an Ares or Athena so I don't know about them - they do have a lot of aesthetic (and passion from their creator) as well.

Incidentally, the ultra expensive Tedalus Velocity-ONE is almost sold out. All the ones with stand included sold out a couple of weeks ago, and it looks like there are just two left of the razor without stand. I messaged Manuel to congratulate him and ask if he will make more, and he said he will.
That is interesting. At first there was much talk about it being a collectors item since only 100 would be made. Since that is not the case, I don’t see this as a future collectors item. I do see it as an “in demand “ item similar to the Lambdas.

That is interesting. At first there was much talk about it being a collectors item since only 100 would be made. Since that is not the case, I don’t see this as a future collectors item. I do see it as an “in demand “ item similar to the Lambdas.
The Tedalus was never intended to be limited production. The only way that would have happened is if the razor hadn’t sold well. Perhaps some people were expecting that.

Interesting how rumors start - reminds me of the game of telephone we played as kids. He said he was only making 100 initially, but intended to make more later. He intended it to be used (said so) and not be a collector's item but instead be valuable for the craftsmanship, art, and engineering in it (plus shaving well).

Very few things made to be a collectible end up being investments (Elvis plates anyone). On the other hand - prices for Wolfman's Charcoal Goods, original Tradere's, Paradigm's, etc. have gone ballistic. Some of that is more speculation than appreciation I suspect.

The Tedalus was never intended to be limited production. The only way that would have happened is if the razor hadn’t sold well. Perhaps some people were expecting that.
The global wet shave market was valued at around USD 11.2 billion in 2018 and is projected to reach USD 7651.6 million by 2029. This indicates a sizable market, suggesting millions of users worldwide. Sales figures: Leading companies like Gillette sell millions of wet razors and blades annually. While not representing the entire market, it suggests substantial user numbers. Penetration rates: Wet shaving methods might be more prevalent in specific regions like Europe and North America, but the practice exists globally.

Considering these factors, a reasonable estimate could be in the range of tens to hundreds of millions of wet shavers worldwide. This is a broad range, but it reflects the lack of precise data and the diverse nature of wet shaving practices.

Take ten million and assume razors like the Tedalus appeal to the "one-percenters" that's 100,000 potential buyers. I suspect it is more likely an aspirational market (Rolex, Breitling, etc.) which would be more like 10% or over a million buyers. If the base market is larger (and I suspect it is) then it can be in demand and still end up being a collectible.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Yeah, but your view of what is expensive forms early on....
I get sticker shock every time I go into a grocery store or a auto dealership.

Back to shave gear, I've only once spent over $100 on a single item, a Rockwell T2, and I was disappointed with it. It's a good razor, but I've been happier with my vintage Gillettes, $3-$50. I'm not about to tell anyone else how to spend their money, but for my purchases, that third figure is a deal breaker.
I couldn't agree more. I remember chuckling at my father because he kind of got stuck with prices from $1960 and would quote them (a pair of shoes should cost . . . ). Now I'm that guy. I spent my whole life saving for retirement and now I have a big pile of money I'm not comfortable spending. Oh well, my son will go through his half of the inheritance in short order!

A problem with expensive razors is not a lack of increased quality - that's there - but the marriage of razor (aggressive, blade gap, etc.) and face/beard. If your face wanted a Wolfman .95 and you purchased a Wolfman 1.55 you'd think it was a terrible razor. It's a great razor for somebody, but terrible for you. It's not easy to dial in the perfect choice without trying a few - and at those prices?

But there are lots of faces and lots of choices - and technique is king no matter which razor you use.

I couldn't agree more. I remember chuckling at my father because he kind of got stuck with prices from $1960 and would quote them (a pair of shoes should cost . . . ). Now I'm that guy. I spent my whole life saving for retirement and now I have a big pile of money I'm not comfortable spending. Oh well, my son will go through his half of the inheritance in short order!

A problem with expensive razors is not a lack of increased quality - that's there - but the marriage of razor (aggressive, blade gap, etc.) and face/beard. If your face wanted a Wolfman .95 and you purchased a Wolfman 1.55 you'd think it was a terrible razor. It's a great razor for somebody, but terrible for you. It's not easy to dial in the perfect choice without trying a few - and at those prices?

But there are lots of faces and lots of choices - and technique is king no matter which razor you use.
This is why forums like these are so valuable - yes YMMV but you get directional insights, pass-arounds, and opportunities to buy and sell... you may lose a little bit on each transaction but there is a better chance of finding the grail :straight:

I’m the same. I’m in a perpetual state of fury about what everything costs. When Jack Nicholson said that he doesn’t get out of bed for less than $10 million, he’s not far off. Just being out of bed costs you so much money and every company and government is constantly devising new ways to take more from you.

Pricey razors are the least of my problems. At least a good razor remains a good razor for life. It doesn’t break, doesn’t require a monthly fee (unless you have a cartridge razor). Any razor you buy is your own choice and it is not forced on you by anyone.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Add to that, over time here, you find shaving brothers, i.e., guys who require and enjoy the same things you do. Their advice is more targeted and is seldom inaccurate. That reduces the chances of getting something that just doesn’t work for you.

I doubt any of us like buying something we can’t stand, no matter the price. I feel fortunate I’ve found friends here whose advice has been stellar for brushes at the beginning of my journey, then soaps and finally razors. I’ve been able to amass a small collection of each that continue to bring me pleasure every time I use them.

I think we're in trouble if someone comes in here and starts talking passionately about a toothpick, lol.

People should feel free to share if it's about their $10 razor or $1000 razor; it's always interesting to see a little variety and perhaps learn a thing or two about them, whether vintage or modern, affordable or high end. There's something for everyone.

I suppose you could spend $50.00 for a toothpick, but I wouldn't brag about it.
Titanium!
Screenshot_20240208-213431~2.png

Add to that, over time here, you find shaving brothers, i.e., guys who require and enjoy the same things you do. Their advice is more targeted and is seldom inaccurate. That reduces the chances of getting something that just doesn’t work for you.

I doubt any of us like buying something we can’t stand, no matter the price. I feel fortunate I’ve found friends here whose advice has been stellar for brushes at the beginning of my journey, then soaps and finally razors. I’ve been able to amass a small collection of each that continue to bring me pleasure every time I use them.
And you have been that for me as so many others on this forum.

Top Bottom