What's new

On Expensive Razors . . .

I've noticed a few threads arguing over whether certain high-end razors were "too expensive".

To anyone interested in that question, I recommend Thorstein Veblen's "Theory of the Leisure Class":

And for the book itself:

(Note the Kindle edition is $0.39, for penny-pinchers; there might also be a free PDF file available.)

I don't know if will affect anyone's buying decision, but it may help in understanding the economic and marketing environment.

. Charles

Interestingly I heard the other day that Tedalus has nearly sold out of the Velocity-ONE razor already so there’s a bigger market for it than many thought. He’ll have to make a second batch much sooner than he probably expected.
14 left in stock by my calculations.

At $1400 usd, not including FedEx import and duty fees, I am safe from temptation. I'm guessing it would come in @ $2500 Canadian. I'd rather use that for a $60 RazorRock and buy a $2440 watch that I could enjoy on my wrist for 16hrs a day.

I'll give them credit. It's a slick website and the "return" policy on it makes it seem like you can use it for up to a month and return if you choose.

Last edited:

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
The Tedalus sort of blows a hypothesis of mine out of the water. A while back, due to a conversation some of us were having about safety bar design, I noticed every one of my top razors has either a scalloped safety bar or some other milled pattern , unless it is an Open Comb design.

The Tedalus looks to have a simple safety bar, no scalloping or thin grooves like the Wolfman WR2. That just confirms what I’ve known all along: I know nothing about razor head design.

I've noticed a few threads arguing over whether certain high-end razors were "too expensive".
To anyone interested in that question, I recommend Thorstein Veblen's "Theory of the Leisure Class":

And for the book itself:

(Note the Kindle edition is $0.39, for penny-pinchers; there might also be a free PDF file available.)

I don't know if will affect anyone's buying decision, but it may help in understanding the economic and marketing environment.
Project Gutenberg has it for free in multiple formats:

14 left in stock by my calculations.

At $1400 usd, not including FedEx import and duty fees, I am safe from temptation. I'm guessing it would come in @ $2500 Canadian. I'd rather use that for a $60 RazorRock and buy a $2440 watch that I could enjoy on my wrist for 16hrs a day.

I'll give them credit. It's a slick website and the "return" policy on it makes it seem like you can use it for up to a month and return if you choose.
It's actually about $1050 USD for the razor with stand. $1400 of that in CAD sounds about right.

The Tedalus sort of blows a hypothesis of mine out of the water. A while back, due to a conversation some of us were having about safety bar design, I noticed every one of my top razors has either a scalloped safety bar or some other milled pattern , unless it is an Open Comb design.

The Tedalus looks to have a simple safety bar, no scalloping or thin grooves like the Wolfman WR2. That just confirms what I’ve known all along: I know nothing about razor head design.
Welcome to the club. I don't have a clue. :lol1:

The way I see it, expensive is paying what ever and not being satisfied. If you pay 3000 for a zazor and love it to bits, well you got a good deal. I’ve paid 30-40 for stuff that I truly hate.
Have to say you make a great point. I have the tedalus Velocity one and several rocnel sailors. I love them to bits and they shave beautifully as well. They make the act of shaving an "experience" So for me it was worth it. That with the added effect my RAD seems to have calmed right down since I got it (well for now anyway).

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
When I lived in Carmel, CA back in the early 90s, a woman down the street from me tried to sell her home at about $500K. Nobody wanted it. But when she increased the price to $900K, buyers came out of the woodwork.

It's all about something called "perceived value" ... which may have little to do with real value.
That also can be the case with less expensive items. I had a boss who loved snowmobiles... He bought a new one and put an ad in the local newspaper (some of us are old enough to remember the classified ads and ummmm the newspapers where they were printed). He listed his old one for $75... not one phone call.... The next week he raised the price to $250 and sold it the day the ad ran for the first time... @$75, people thought it was just junk... but @$250, someone thought it was a steal. lol

Top Bottom