What's new

On Expensive Razors . . .

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I suppose you could spend $50.00 for a toothpick, but I wouldn't brag about it.
I wouldn't brag about anything beyond my children and grandchildren - I just find that in poor taste, and I try to be a gentleman's gentleman.

A forum, on the other hand, is functional because you share things that work well for you. It's also important for others to say bravo, but it doesn't work well for me. I don't buy anything until there are a bunch of members who like it (I'm admittedly not much of a gambler). So if I'm in the market for a high quality toothpick I would appreciate your review on your $50 model. I must tell you it's more than slightly beyond my spending comfort zone, but I like to soak in some new information when I get the chance. Unless you write, "I have a nice toothpick and you don't - suckers!" I won't consider your review bragging. Although for $50 I'm going to expect titanium.

I wouldn't brag about anything beyond my children and grandchildren - I just find that in poor taste, and I try to be a gentleman's gentleman.

A forum, on the other hand, is functional because you share things that work well for you. It's also important for others to say bravo, but it doesn't work well for me. I don't buy anything until there are a bunch of members who like it (I'm admittedly not much of a gambler). So if I'm in the market for a high quality toothpick I would appreciate your review on your $50 model. I must tell you it's more than slightly beyond my spending comfort zone, but I like to soak in some new information when I get the chance. Unless you write, "I have a nice toothpick and you don't - suckers!" I won't consider your review bragging. Although for $50 I'm going to expect titanium.
I've seen many reviews comparing the Tedalus to a Ferrari, and I think that is appropriate. There is no legitimate utilitarian reason for Ferraris to exist in the USA - there is no place you can drive them to their full potential. You can't carry anything except a passenger. Full economy (especially in bumper-to-bumper traffic) sucks... That said, I have been lucky enough to have had several BMW Ms, Loti, Jags, and a Porsche GT2 but a Ferrari (and a Lamborghini, and a Pagani, and a Maclaren, and a Bugatti...) was always out of reach, but I was also lucky enough to get to drive these supercars and I am thankful they exist. They set a bar for other cars, they make you appreciate what you have (I am so lucky to be able to have what I have), and they are just a joy to observe (art+engineering+craftsmanship). There is a Sanskrit term - Muditā - a dharmic concept of joy, particularly an especially sympathetic or vicarious joy—the pleasure that comes from delighting in other people's well-being. They provide a lot of that. I will never own one, but I am very grateful they exist. BTW, the whole experience is relative, there was a point in my life that my aspirational car was an Opel GT (we won't talk about the TR7 I ended up getting as my first sports car).

Where the heck is Quaznoid?
My views on this subject are too well known. Veblen explains this all quite well and I recommend his analysis. I’ve resolved to not criticize others for ridiculous, absurd, even truly stupid spending choices and I stand by it. If you spend $1800 on a razor, fine; if you have to have that $50 toothpick, go for it, and if you want to burn your money in a barrel in the back yard, have at it. It’s your money.

I recall a backyard barbecue in my neighborhood when the host had opened all the windows to let the music out which also let out all the air-conditioning on a hot, humid summer day. When I suggested moving the speakers outside and closing the windows to avoid wasting the air-conditioning, he responded “but it’s my air conditioning to waste”. I had no response to such impeccable logic.

Last edited:
My best-shaving and most expensive razor currently sells for $59 and I think it was $55 when I bought it.

My second best-shaving razor can be found for $5-7, or less if ordered from AliExpress.

I can’t really believe that spending $500 or $3000 would provide me with a significantly better shave quality. Marginally better, perhaps, and even that’s debatable.

I do believe that it would be an aesthetic wonder, a work of a master, made from much letter materials than zamak and brass.

So I understand why someone may want to drop that kind of money on a hobby they are passionate about.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
My best-shaving and most expensive razor currently sells for $59 and I think it was $55 when I bought it.

My second best-shaving razor can be found for $5-7, or less if ordered from AliExpress.

I can’t really believe that spending $500 or $3000 would provide me with a significantly better shave quality. Marginally better, perhaps, and even that’s debatable.

I do believe that it would be an aesthetic wonder, a work of a master, made from much letter materials than zamak and brass.

So I understand why someone may want to drop that kind of money on a hobby they are passionate about.
When I started in this blood sport, I mean hobby of ours, I also though spending $60 on a razor was expensive and extravagant. However, as I worked my way though the learning curve, and earned some high level technique, I realized I could do better. So began the search for a razor that was better, and would provide a better shave. I have very challenging stubble growth with swirling and flat laying whiskers in places. It is an effort, or a lucky occurrence, to get a bbs. So, when I got some $300 range razors, and they shaved much better, and provided me with more enjoyment, that is where my attention went. Not to brag. Not to have expensive things for the sake of having expensive things. But because they work in my ridiculously challenging beard. The fact that they are so beautiful is a bonus. The fact that they are expensive is unfortunate.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
The other day I realized I have some kind of "shoe rule" in my head I wasn't aware of, which is I'd be ok with a razor that would cost as much as a pair of shoes I might buy, if I used it for long time. Shoes are obviously more important, but a razor should last longer, and I think the shoe rule is kind of more of an upper limit. I don't have plans to buy another razor necessarily but it's just something that occurred to me about the way I was thinking about things.
Stay away from shell cordovan Aldens and even farther away from John Lobb.

Stay away from shell cordovan Aldens and even farther away from John Lobb.
Speaking of shoes...
  1. Moon Star Shoes by Antonio Vietri – $19.9 million
  2. Diamond Shoes by Jada Dubai x Passion Diamond – $17 million
  3. Diamond Stilettos by Debbie Wingham – $15.1 million
  4. Les Ruby Slippers by Harry Winston – $3 million
  5. Rita Hayworth Heel by Stuart Weitzman – $3 million
  6. Tanzanite Heel by Stuart Weitzman x Eddie Le Vian – $3 million
  7. Cinderella Slippers by Stuart Weitzman – $2 million
  8. Jason of Beverly Hills loafers x Tom Ford – $2 million
  9. Nike Air Yeezy 1 by Kanye West – $1.8 million
  10. Ruby Stilettos by Stuart Weitzman – $1.6 million

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
We are already flirting with the notion that a $1000 razor may be an aspiration of at least a handful of us. We also have a pretty large cohort at of below the $75 pain threshold. Is there a razor that would satisfy both extremes? I doubt it, but I also doubt the upper end buyer is driven exclusively by the quality of the shave. Aesthetic elements are an increasingly large driver as prices rise. People nitpick the finish on high end razors but are much less likely to quibble over the finish of an EJ.

Sorry, here you go.

I’ll buy 10!

Attachments

• IMG_7830.jpeg
    IMG_7830.jpeg
    463.1 KB · Views: 4

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I've seen many reviews comparing the Tedalus to a Ferrari, and I think that is appropriate. There is no legitimate utilitarian reason for Ferraris to exist in the USA - there is no place you can drive them to their full potential. You can't carry anything except a passenger. Full economy (especially in bumper-to-bumper traffic) sucks... That said, I have been lucky enough to have had several BMW Ms, Loti, Jags, and a Porsche GT2 but a Ferrari (and a Lamborghini, and a Pagani, and a Maclaren, and a Bugatti...) was always out of reach, but I was also lucky enough to get to drive these supercars and I am thankful they exist. They set a bar for other cars, they make you appreciate what you have (I am so lucky to be able to have what I have), and they are just a joy to observe (art+engineering+craftsmanship). There is a Sanskrit term - Muditā - a dharmic concept of joy, particularly an especially sympathetic or vicarious joy—the pleasure that comes from delighting in other people's well-being. They provide a lot of that. I will never own one, but I am very grateful they exist. BTW, the whole experience is relative, there was a point in my life that my aspirational car was an Opel GT (we won't talk about the TR7 I ended up getting as my first sports car).
I totally agree. I'm too old for a sports car - and I couldn't get in or out without a winch - but there is plenty to like about a beautiful Lambroghini! I've been driving my Audi A6 (family sedan makes more sense for me) for 9 years now and it still brings me a bit of joy every time I get in.

Top Bottom