What's new

Looking for info.

Sorry in advance if this had been discussed but I looked at lot of old threads and couldn't find exactly what I was looking for. I'm looking to pick up my first slant razor and I'm leaning towards the Ikon X3. I was hoping someone that has one can tell me if the head is aluminum or zamak. I've seen some sites that say different things. Feel free to recommend anything that may be better for the same price or a little more. The word I see used most often is smooth when talking about the X3 which is why I'm looking at it to start with. I've got super tough beard/stubble with sensitive skin so I'm hoping a slant might be the answer after reading up on them. Accidentally posted this in the razor blade section not paying attention and can't delete so if a mod sees this please delete that one.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
I'm looking to pick up my first slant razor and I'm leaning towards the Ikon X3.

As far as I know they're aluminum. The X3 is what's called a "differential" razor. One side is "coarse" while the other supposedly shaves fine. I had one. I couldn't tell a difference between the sides. It was a very mild razor and I found it a bit on the light side. But that's me. You'll know about you once you've tried it.

Feel free to recommend anything that may be better for the same price or a little more.

I found several slant razors that I liked much better (and to be honest a couple I didn't even like that well). Most of that sort of thing is discussed at great length in a series of threads under the general title "The Tilted Picnic."

Some fairly inexpensive slants:

Fatip Open Comb Slant (FOCS)
Fatip Safety Bar Slant
Phoenix "Monster" series
Merkur 37
RazoRock German 37

For your tough stubble and sensitive skin you might look at RazoRock's Superslant series. Something like their L2SB is a bit more efficient than the L1 razors, yet has a safety bar and is a good shaver. I've used the L1++OC, which I found too mild. I have the L2++OC (my favourite) and the L3SB which is almost the same razor but in SB and offers a just barely perceptible closer shave.

It's a bit of a paradox that a mild razor can give you more irritation than a mindfully-used more agressive one. Mild razors can encourage over-shaving and buffing in an attempt to get it all.

O.H.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
I personally would spend a little more and get a Wunderbar. I haven’t tried the RR Superslant but I don’t really feel i need to with the Wunderbar. It slices through 5-7days of stubble with no problem. The only downside is that if you don’t pay attention to what you’re doing it’ll bite you.

As far as I know they're aluminum. The X3 is what's called a "differential" razor. One side is "coarse" while the other supposedly shaves fine. I had one. I couldn't tell a difference between the sides. It was a very mild razor and I found it a bit on the light side. But that's me. You'll know about you once you've tried it.

I found several slant razors that I liked much better (and to be honest a couple I didn't even like that well). Most of that sort of thing is discussed at great length in a series of threads under the general title "The Tilted Picnic."

Some fairly inexpensive slants:

Fatip Open Comb Slant (FOCS)
Fatip Safety Bar Slant
Phoenix "Monster" series
Merkur 37
RazoRock German 37

For your tough stubble and sensitive skin you might look at RazoRock's Superslant series. Something like their L2SB is a bit more efficient than the L1 razors, yet has a safety bar and is a good shaver. I've used the L1++OC, which I found too mild. I have the L2++OC (my favourite) and the L3SB which is almost the same razor but in SB and offers a just barely perceptible closer shave.

It's a bit of a paradox that a mild razor can give you more irritation than a mindfully-used more agressive one. Mild razors can encourage over-shaving and buffing in an attempt to get it all.

O.H.
O.H.,

Thank you, that is what I wanted to know I may give the Ikon a shot. As well as one of the others you mentioned, monster series looks good for the price. If all goes well I might invest in the super slant.

I personally would spend a little more and get a Wunderbar. I haven’t tried the RR Superslant but I don’t really feel i need to with the Wunderbar. It slices through 5-7days of stubble with no problem. The only downside is that if you don’t pay attention to what you’re doing it’ll bite you.
Whiskey,
Thank you for the reply, I'm going to try a couple of the inexpensive slants to see how it goes and if all goes good I will look into the wunderbar or the supper slant. Either are pretty steep for something that might not work for me.

The Ikon X3 slant (aluminum) was the first slant that I really liked.
Since then, I've also liked the Coles Slant, really a relabelled Merkur 37, and a Fatip SB slant.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Whiskey,
Thank you for the reply, I'm going to try a couple of the inexpensive slants to see how it goes and if all goes good I will look into the wunderbar or the supper slant. Either are pretty steep for something that might not work for me.
The price is a factor, the nice thing about the Wunderbar is you can probably recoup 90 if not 100% of the cost through a private sale. They’re pretty hard to come by with RR only producing limited runs. Italian Barber has them in stock right now. When they’re sold out who knows when, or if, they’ll make more.

Hey all, just wanted to give an update. I did end up getting the ikon, it came in today and I'm not impressed out of the box. You'll see in the photos that it has some small dining in base plate and it was very rough all over with some non visible burrs on the safety bar. I've hit the whole head with 1000, 3000, and 0000 steel wool so it's much better now. There is some side to side movement as the pin holes are a little bigger that the pin but is fine with the handle tightend down. Head does appear to be aluminum which is good. Given all this would the shave be affected?
1000003074.jpg
1000003075.jpg
1000003078.jpg
1000003079.jpg

Attachments

• 1000003080.jpg
    1000003080.jpg
    443.3 KB · Views: 5
Top Bottom