What's new

Pea coat over suit?

Try it and see how it fits. Wear a suit when you go pea coat shopping. Some pea coats are sized to fit over a suit, some are not. So the length and the arm holes need to be able to fit over your suit. And some suits are a tighter fit than others so that's another factor to look at. If buying online, make sure the length is longer than the sleeves.

I have a Lands End pea coat that fits well for me over my suit. Many of the others I've tried do not. I like that the pea coat is double breasted for extra protection from wind. And I like that it looks like a legit Navy coat with anchors on the buttons and it's very warmly insulated.

I also have a Hart Shaffner Marx trench coat for when I need a longer coat or rainy days. Most men's clothing stores will have overcoats designed to fit over a suit.

Historically pea coats are a naval garment for enlisted ranks who require freedom of movement. A BRIDGECOAT is merely a lengthened peacoat more fitting a officer's uniform. Stylistically it's less elegant. For those of us who served in various naval branches it's either a cherished old friend or something you avoid.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
As long as the suit is Navy Blue ;)
Dang it
$image.jpg

I don't own a peacoat anymore, but when I did I'd wear it over suit pants, shirt and tie. Leave the suit coat at home. Depending on climate.

Never cared for pea coats. But that is me. I have a nice wool tweed overcoat for when I wear a suit though. But my regular dress during the week is slacks and a long sleeve dress shirt, open collar. I just wear my parka those days. No it isn't as stylish. But it is a warm coat.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I like the look, but don't want to feel those NY winters by sitting on the leather car seats in the AM wearing a short coat.

Although I don't wear a suit very often these days, I always thought that a knee length raincoat looked much better over a suit.

Top Bottom