What's new

Boat Shoes

What are your thoughts on boat shoes? Are they too casual for work?

I don’t work in an environment where I meet with customers however, it’s casual to professional type style. A lot of younger employees were jeans. Some of the managers wear slacks and dress shoes.

I would like to retire in 10 to 12 years so having nice boat shoes would be something I would be comfortable wearing in Retirement so that’s kind of the appeal for buying them. I’m hoping a good pair of Sperry shoes would last me 15-20 years. With light wear in a desk environment. The other thing I like about boar shoes is it’s kind of acceptable to wear without socks which I don’t really like to wear. It’s more comfortable for my feet if you’re in office for 10 hours.

I’ve had managers who would wear them, but only on Fridays. Typically casual Friday where they also would wear jeans and with a polo shirt.

Thoughts?

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune

I don’t work in an environment where I meet with customers however, it’s casual to professional type style. A lot of younger employees were jeans. Some of the managers wear slacks and dress shoes.

I would like to retire in 10 to 12 years so having nice boat shoes would be something I would be comfortable wearing in Retirement so that’s kind of the appeal for buying them. I’m hoping a good pair of Sperry shoes would last me 15-20 years. With light wear in a desk environment. The other thing I like about boar shoes is it’s kind of acceptable to wear without socks which I don’t really like to wear. It’s more comfortable for my feet if you’re in office for 10 hours.

I’ve had managers who would wear them, but only on Fridays. Typically casual Friday where they also would wear jeans and with a polo shirt.

Thoughts?
I have a pair of Sperry boat shoes that I wear every day.... also without socks. I was retired but I'm delivering food now..... When I got them originally, I added some quality insoles and I'm still wearing them for work. They are comfortable and durable and they aren't all that expensive.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I wore Timberland boat shoes occasionally in the office a few years ago but work at home now. I understand that dress codes in many offices have been relaxed since then. I would not go without socks though, and would prefer not to share an office with someone who did.

I would humbly submit that an off shore made Sperry is not going to last 15-20 years of regular wear, particularly when your unsocked feet perspire on the leather.

Moreover, the soles will wear down even if your gait is neutral and absolutely if you pronate or supinate.
Fair points. Fortunately, I work in an air-conditioned office, so they don’t perspire during the day.

that’s actually one of the reasons I prefer no socks is more comfortable due to the air-conditioning and the socks are overkill.

My feet have an issue where they can’t breathe well in socks, even if I get the performance socks, which are very thin.

I have the boat shoes from Sperry that comes up above your ankles. Like a boot. So it’s not really possible to see socks anyways. Though they do get a little warmer in summer with boots. Though are very breathable to me.

I like those Allen Edmunds slip one but I don’t wear slacks that often. In the summertime, I prefer wearing those lighter jeans. Regular jeans are too heavy and hot.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
The Sperry A/Os are between 5-7 years old and the Gold Cups are more than 15 years old.

With proper care and maintenance, they should last a good long while. I have rarely worn either of them with socks.
IMG_6768.jpeg
IMG_6769.jpeg

Last edited:

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis

Thoughts?
something better:
:boat: Oh my Lord...my Sperry's are toast... the soles are 'bald'.👨‍🦲

proxy.php
"Boat shoes [w/ most of many don't even own a boat]: a reminder to slow down, breathe, and appreciate the beauty around you". The Gospel of Boat Shoes

Last edited:

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I end up buying nice insoles for most shoes I wear.... that helps a lot. I used to have quite a few pairs of shoes because the dress code for work varied a lot... suits, casual dress clothes and casual clothes... When I turned 55, my feet grew from an 11 to a 12 or 13, depending on the brand. I had no idea this is a common occurrence. I had to ditch all my shoes as none of them fit.. hiking boots, too.

I no longer need lots of shoes... and no longer need a variety of clothes. It's kind of nice.

A couple months back I spoke with a customer service person at Sperry, as I've been looking for some new deck shoes (for sailing) and have owned Topsiders going back 50 years.

The customer service peson basically said the quality of most of Sperry's current boat shoes are crap. They have offshored almost all the production (one can still get a hand-sewn-in-Maine of high quality at a price), but the rest of the lineup doesn't deliver the quality one once expected from Sperry. This is a customer service person working for Sperry telling me the quality is terrible.

She hears the complains all day long and say the ownership is cashing in on Sperry's reputation, while destroying it in the process of selling poorly made offshore shoes that are branded as "Sperry."

But Sperry, exception of "handsewns" noted, doesn't make the shoes anymore. The contract them out to low bidders. Different factories use different lasts, so sizing is variable within the "brand." Being cheaply made they don't hold up (literally come apart).

And the basic Topsiders now, instead of being plain leather-lined (as traditional) which dried reasonably well after getting wet, are instead lined with a fabric that resists drying. This kills their utility for sailing and makes them into "fashion shoes," that don't hold up in any case.

Pretty discouraging, as I just thought I'd get another pair of the same type sailing shoes I first started wearing as a teen.

I feel like yelling at clouds.

Bill

something better:
:boat: Oh my Lord...my Sperry's are toast... the soles are 'bald'.👨‍🦲

proxy.php
"Boat shoes [w/ most of many don't even own a boat]: a reminder to slow down, breathe, and appreciate the beauty around you". The Gospel of Boat Shoes
For some of the better quality shoes like Alan Edmunds, you can re-sold the shoe. Send it back to the manufacturer. I haven’t researched if that’s possible sperry shoes.

I end up buying nice insoles for most shoes I wear.... that helps a lot. I used to have quite a few pairs of shoes because the dress code for work varied a lot... suits, casual dress clothes and casual clothes... When I turned 55, my feet grew from an 11 to a 12 or 13, depending on the brand. I had no idea this is a common occurrence. I had to ditch all my shoes as none of them fit.. hiking boots, too.

I no longer need lots of shoes... and no longer need a variety of clothes. It's kind of nice.
I did not realize that a persons foot continues to grow after age 55. Was that related to getting fallen arches? By chance I could see you were losing your arch, your feet lengthening.

Top Bottom