What's new

Pea coat over suit?

Although I don't wear a suit very often these days, I always thought that a knee length raincoat looked much better over a suit.

I agree that a knee length raincoat - like a classic London Fog - looks perfectly acceptable over a suit on many occasions, although I'd consider it less than ideal in some settings, particularly when the sun is shining from a clear, blue sky. Still quite possibly a better choice than a pea coat, though.

Ideally, one would have a raincoat, a pea coat, and a couple of other types of coats, and would choose the most appropriate one for a given situation. Since highly acceptable coats needn't be outrageously expensive and can go years and years without having to be replaced, it's really not such a ridiculous idea to go this route. But if, for whatever reason, only a pea coat is available, or only a raincoat is available, then one makes due. It's not a social gaffe which will ruin one's life, okay?

Frankly, the key to wearing a pea coat over your suit without having everyone stare and whisper unflattering things about your choice of clothes, is to simply to put it on and forget about it. When a man's worried about not being dressed properly, it shows. Contrawise, when a man isn't worried that he's improperly dressed, that self-assurance shows, too.

Naturally, it can be taken to silly extremes - wear a varsity jacket over your tuxedo, and you're going to look like a tool, no matter how confidently you carry yourself. But within those fairly broad limits, if you're not worried about a mismatch between your suit and your coat, chances are nobody else is going to make an issue of it.

Still, for about the cost of a decent suit, one can buy a conservative raincoat (with zip-out lining, for cold weather), a Sterlingwear peacoat, and a full (or 3/4) length merino wool overcoat. Presto, three outerwear niches filled, and likely to remain filled for a good number of years to come. It's like buying a few pairs of quality dress shoes, or an appropriate wristwatch. Make the purchase, then you needn't worry about it again anytime soon.

Can I attend a birth-day party in pea coat and jeans?
It depends on the birthday party. At some parties, it'd be perfectly appropriate. At others, it'd be completely inappropriate.

I'd also suggest that it's the jeans which is more the question, than the pea coat. Since within moments of arriving, you're likely to be removing your pea coat. But unless it's a really wild birthday party, I'm guessing you won't be removing your pants upon arrival.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Can I attend a birth-day party in pea coat and jeans?
It depends on the birthday party. At some parties, it'd be perfectly appropriate. At others, it'd be completely inappropriate.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Probably the third one. (Eh.)

I don't see any issue with wearing a pea coat over a suit, provided however that the bottom of your suit jacket is not visible coming out of the bottom of the pea coat. That would be a real faux pas. Others have mentioned that a proper top coat will keep you warmer and protect you from the elements better. I prefer a top coat that is around knee length when wearing a suit. A pea coat seems more appropriate when dressing a little more casually.

Top Bottom