What's new

Shavers Revúe: Tiger Platinum D.E. safety blade

428501747_410733218005001_2184328905419755622_n.jpg

Pros
+Good shave on softer hair growth (day to day shave)
+No major nicks/cuts
+No tugging
+Attractive pricing

Cons
-Not as prolific as other brands (Gillette, Wilkinson, Sword, etc.)
-PTFE coating

Revué
Today i tried the Tiger Platinum razor blades for the first time. Even tho the "Red" tiger carbon blades are known for an abismal performance a sudden impulse of national pride took over me at the drug store and i bought a package of the platinum ones...

A bit of a background for this brand. The Tiger is made in Czech Republic in Jevíčko by the Czech Blades Company. This factory is quite ancient, it was the home of the Astra brand until "96 when it was bought by Gillette and moved to IPP St Petersburg and now to india. Czech blades makes mainly blades for industrial use. They however continue the tradition of razor blades by making Tatra, Sokol, Leon and Tiger. . .

So lets talk about the blade Tiger platinum is a surprisingly smooth gentle blade. Its surprisingly (despite its pricing) packaged in 2 waxed papers wrappers, keeping the blade from moisture and dulling. My biggest dislike is the PTFE coating of the blades. PTFE is a toxic chemical which you do not want in your system. I do not know how big of an effect does shaving with a ptfe coated razor have on your health but i do not think its a positive one. The fact that the razors are PTFE coated could also be a turn off for the "green/zero waste customer" because thhe presence of PTFE lowers the recyclability of the blades and introduces more plastic into the environment.

I used it on a light build of hair for a daily shave. Coupled with Barbus shaving soap and my trusty Gillette Slim M-4 it gave me a very soft and comfortable shave. I didnt get any nicks or cuts, the blades statement was rectified by the aftershave which told me that the blade didnt cut or burn my skin. In the first pass i went with an over the grain shave on the 1 setting of the Gillette, the second pass was an against the grain pass to clean up the stuble still on the 1 setting of my Slim.

The blade didnt last very long. After 2 daily shaves i could feel tugging on my skin, thankfully there were no nicks or cuts.

Overall i was pleasantly surprised by the blade. Id recomended for daily shaves when you need a soft shave. Id say that its close to/on par with the penultimate Astra SP. The major downside would be the fact that theyre not as prolific as other brands. Theyre farelly well priced, on the cheaper side even. The biggest con of these lades IMO is the PTFE coating.

P.s. This is a repost of a review i wrote for the r/wicked_edge under the same name.

Welcome to B&B!

All modern stainless blades are coated with PTFE at the bare minimum.

The red Tigers are stainless not carbon. It's a way better blade for me than the platinum; much sharper.
Thank you for your repply and for the warm welcome!. Thanks for letting me know that i did not know that abt the coating. Actually theres a red carbon steeled tiger blade which is actually industrial but these blades were sold by shad ppl on amazon and ebay as shaving razors which tarnished the Tiger name thats why i mentioned it. You can find all of the blades on the manufacturers side. Ive yet to try the red stainless tigers but im planing on doing so.

Thank you for your repply and for the warm welcome!. Thanks for letting me know that i did not know that abt the coating. Actually theres a red carbon steeled tiger blade which is actually industrial but these blades were sold by shad ppl on amazon and ebay as shaving razors which tarnished the Tiger name thats why i mentioned it. You can find all of the blades on the manufacturers side. Ive yet to try the red stainless tigers but im planing on doing so.
I think I know what ones you are talking about (full color tuck with tiger on it) but I thought they were used for sewing.

Welcome! Thanks for the review and also for showing some of your personality in your write up - I enjoyed "meeting" you! Cheers!

Top Bottom