What's new

Participation PIF - The Unobtainium Polsilver Super Stainless

proxy.php

Fifth shave with the Polsilver Stainless (Vintage) blade #2

Razor
: Fatip Lo Storto Originale (aka FOCS)
Brush: Yaqi Moka Express Two-Band Badger
Soap: RazoRock Blue Label

A complete turn-around from yesterday's shave!

The FOCS/Polsilver Stainless duo delivered three perfect passes with none of the acute feeling of sharpness that I experienced during its previous outing. As noted in an earlier post, the blade-feel was through the roof, so I had to really watch what I was doing.

Today, it was smooth sailing. The result was another minimal-effort, high-efficiency "autopilot" shave with nary a sign of post-shave irritation or sensitivity.

This is the kind of shave that I expect from the Polsilver Stainless and am confident that I'll see many more like it as time goes on.

Vintage Polsilver Stainless (blade #2) .

Associated gear:
WSC/YPM Winning razor, with a Maggard MR-1 in place of the original handle
Jayaruh #401 Synthetic brush
Simpson Trafalgar T2 Synthetic brush
Dr. Jon's Classic soap
Thayer's Toner WH
Nivea Men ASB

Shaves #4 & 5 with this blade. DFS in a medium sized Milk-Bone shaped area across the apple; BBS everywhere else. That's with my usual three passes plus a little clean-up buffing. No nicks weepers or post-shave irritation.

The knurled handle made the razor feel much more comfortable. I greatly prefer knurled handles toy smooth ones.
This combo is making for a very consistent shaving experience, which in turn makes for a very boring review.

Last night, I had shave #15 with blade #2 of the Polisilver Stainless Steel blades. The blade was held in place with a Fendrihan Kingston razor head on a West Coast Shaving 79BR handle.

I used Ariana & Evans's Peach & Cognac (Kaizen base) soap for the first time. The lather wasn't quite right, at least I'm assuming it can be better. I didn't end up with a super slick lather. While it was still sufficiently slick enough for me to end up with a DFS+ shave, there was a little bit of stickiness with each pass and not as much cushion as I had anticipated (and to which I had become accustomed with Captain's Choice Venture soap).

I think (but am not sure) that the stickiness caused me to give myself a tiny nick on my upper lip and an even smaller nick on my neck. The nicks were so tiny that the latter didn't even draw blood, while the former drew a drop of blood but disappeared as soon as i wiped off the blood.

Still, I barely felt the blade during my shave. There was neither tugging nor anything else to indicate the blade is ready to be scrapped.

Prior to the shave, I showered with cold water and also used cold water to soak my Semogue Owners Club cherry wood handle finest badger brush. Additionally, I soaked an almond sized piece of A&E's P&C in my Captain's Choice Seaworthy bowl before the shave (I dumped the soapy water into an empty cup and applied a little of the soapy water to my face before each lather pass).

I did my usual two pass (WTG and ATG) shave and buffed my trouble areas. Afterward, I cleaned up with my usual alum block pass before washing it off and applying aftershave splash (Stirling Spice) and aftershave balm (Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm).

My shave was pretty good, notwithstanding the nicks. That said, although I thought I got all my beard hairs, a couple hours post shave, I noticed I left just a bit of stubble in some spots. As it was just the most minor bit of stubble (thus keeping me from a BBS), I didn't worry about it.

As with my last shave, I barely felt any feedback when I applied my alum block post-shave. Though, I did feel a little sting on the nicks. When I splashed on the Stirling Spice, I did enjoy the pleasant alcohol sting. But aside from the above, there wasn't really any other irritation.

All in all, I would give this shave a 95/100.

Attachments

• 84CF5E42-F9AA-4AB5-B836-B164C1FDFC50.jpeg
    84CF5E42-F9AA-4AB5-B836-B164C1FDFC50.jpeg
    6.2 MB · Views: 5
@hairless wonder I’ve used A&E Kaizen base probably 15-20 times now and I still can’t get it as slick as any of my other soaps. From all the rave reviews it gets, I must also be doing something wrong as each time I use it, I also assume it can be better. I find it has great post shave feel, but for me it has average performance during the shave (YMMV). But I do love the scent of SoCal Hipster so I’ll continue using it.

Second Shave With Unobtanium Vintage Polsilver Stainless Blade #3

Razor:
Gillette Super Adjustable “Black Beauty”
Blade: Polsilver Stainless (2)
Bowl: Captain’s Choice Copper (Heavyweight)
Brush: Chisel and Hound “Buffalo Valley” with 26mm V9 Fanchurian
Soap and Aftershave: Ariana & Evans SoCal Hipster

Did the same as yesterday’s shave, used the Black Beauty on settings 9, 9 and 7. Was mostly BBS with DFS on my trouble areas of the chin, goatee and lip. I got no cuts, irritation or tugging, minor feedback with the alum and had a small weeper that appeared on the second pass then by the end of the third pass it was gone and didn’t return. Was an effortless and relaxing shave.

20210909_184943-01.jpeg
SOTD #228/2021
09-09-2021

>> STIRLING SOAPTEMBER <<

Preshave: shower, frigid tap water
Brush: Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements Amber Aerolite 24mm
Soap: Stirling Soap ~ Orange Chill
Razor: Above The Tie OC S2-plate
Blade: vintage Polsilver (5)
Post shave: frigid tap water, Stirling Soap ~ Orange Chill AS and psb.

Blade 4 - Shave 5

I had a very nice first outing of the ATT S2-plate. Paired with the uber smooth Polsilver Stainless the shave went uneventful, I initially managed to find the correct angle with the slanted head and enjoyed an easy shave. The S2 gave me a nice and gentle feedback from the blade, but not too bad. Overall, the S2 did not feel overly aggressive on my face. 3 passes without touchups provided a longer lasting BBS.:thumbsup:

Happy shaves, y'all!

Last edited:

Associated gear:
Jayaruh #401 Synthetic brush
Dr. Jon's Classic soap
Thayer's Toner WH
Nivea Men ASB

Shave #6 with this blade.I had an early morning appointment today so I settled for a simple 2 pass shave with no clean-up buffing. Wound up with just a simple DFS, nothing to write home about, but nothing to complain about either. No nicks weepers or post-shave irritation.

proxy.php

Sixth shave with the Polsilver Stainless (Vintage) blade #2

Razor
Brush: Omega 10005 Boar
Soap: Pré de Provence No. 63

Another excellent shave from the FOCS/Polsilver Stainless duo.

Today's performance was basically identical to yesterday's outing. All three passes were extremely quick, comfortable, and trouble-free. No buffing was required.

It's very gratifying to get such a close, smooth shave with such little effort. And, now that I've enjoyed two such shaves in a row, I suspect that this will be the norm from now on.

Blade: 4 shave #1
Razor: RR GC 0.84 SB
Soap: B&M Sunny Lane
Aftershave: Cryogen + Terror
Very smooth shave, at times almost reminded me of a feather. A tiny amount of redness in same spot as last time, maybe just needs a break for a few shaves.

Third Shave with Unobtanium Vintage Polsilver Stainless Blade #3

Razor:
Fatip Lo Storto Originale Slant “FOCS”
Blade: Polsilver Stainless (3)
Bowl: Captain’s Choice Copper (Heavyweight)
Brush: Grizzly Bay “Neptune Hurricane” with 26mm Thäter 2-Band Silvertip (Bulb)
Soap and Aftershave: Murphy and McNeil Garda Siochana

I was going to use the Black Beauty again today but right before the shave I realized I have tried this blade in all of my razors except the FOCS :facep:

I can see why @Demolition is having so many excellent shaves with this combo. The FOCS / Polsilver pairing was smooth and was the most efficient razor for this blade. It was BBS with no cuts, irritation or tugging, only issue I had was a pair of weepers on my neck. Will try this combo again tomorrow.

20210907_151027-01.jpeg
SOTD #229/2021
10-09-2021

>> Stirling Soaptember<<

Preshave: shower, frigid tap water
Brush: Semogue TSN LE 2020 3-band badger
Soap: Stirling Soap ~ Campania
Razor: Blackland Blackbird Stainless Steel Open Comb
Blade: vintage Polsilver (6)
Post shave: frigid tap water, Schröder und Mann ~ Majestät AS

Just another nice and dramafree shave with the vintage Polsilver Stainless and the Blackbird 😀
3 passes, effective close shave.
BBS without irritation, just a tiny nick in the soul patch area. It was gone as soon as I applied my long time favorite aftershave (which unfortunately already has been discontinued some time ago).

Starting with the upcoming shave I'm going to pair blade #4 with milder razors.

Happy shaves, y'all!

photo_2021-09-10_10-36-45.jpg

Prep: Cool water shower and King C. Gillette beard and face wash.
Preshave: Tube 2.0
Razor: Rex Ambassador setting 4
Blade: unobtainium Polsilver Stainless (10) blade 1
Brush: Rudy Vey 2019 B&B LE Manchurian
Soap: Razorock Blue Label
Post Shave: Cold water rinse followed by alum Block. Allowed to dry then Thayer's with hazel, instaskincare hyaluronic acid, then Nivea sensitive balm. Allowed to dry then Razorock barbershop blue. Then half an hour later 1932 Floid the genuine. So good. Much better.

DFS+ light stubble to the right of my Adam's apple. !0th shave with the unobtainium blade was again smooth. Alum feedback on my neck a bit. I did a 3 pass shave with touch ups on my trouble spots. Blade still good to go. This razor and blade combo is really great. I have yet to try my prefered blade wizamet super iridium in it, but, these are just as smooth.

Last edited:

Associated gear:
Simpson Trafalgar T2 Synth
Dr. Jon's Classic soap (sample)
Thayer's Toner WH
Nivea Men ASB

Shave #7 with this blade. I did a full 3 passes plus a little clean-up an was rewarded with a BBS.
End of the road for the Classic after 12 shaves.
No nicks weepers or post-shave irritation.

proxy.php

Seventh shave with the Polsilver Stainless (Vintage) blade #2

Razor
Brush: Yaqi Aqua 24mm Tuxedo
Soap: RazoRock Gold Label

Excellent performances from all aspects of today's shave.

The FOCS/Polsilver Stainless duo delivered another close, smooth shave. The comfort level was very high on all three of my usual passes. I did not have to buff, yet still enjoyed a BBS shave. There was no post-shave irritation.

Overall, a lovely shave. I suspect that this will be the routine result from now on.

Associated gear:
Jayaruh #401 Synth
Crabtree & Evelyn Lime Shave Cream
Thayer's Toner WH
Nivea Men ASB

Shave #8 with this blade. I did a full 3 passes plus a little clean-up an was rewarded with a BBS.
I'm not at all sure I like the scent of the C&E, but id did the job well enough.
No nicks weepers or post-shave irritation.

Hi Gents,

Hope you are all doing well!

I had my second shave with my first Polsilver blade an hour ago... so here it is...

Blade #1 - Shave #2

Set of choice today : Barrister and Mann Fougère Angélique Full Set

Razor of choice : Henson Ti22 Aggressive

Brush of choice : West Coast Shaving 26 mm synthetic

4 days of facial hair growth

First of all, lather was not the best as the girlfriend was in a hurry to leave for the day. But it was more then adequate for the shave to be done.

As I stated in my first post here, the first use of the blade felt a bit harsh like the two blade I liked to use the most which is Feather and Kaï.
The second was of it it was a PHENOMENAL & EXCEPTIONAL one. Saying that I was impressed is the understatement of the year. I was so much in a unparalleled enjoyment that I wasn't paying attention that I was on the fence of over shaving. Something I haven't done in a while.

I was so much enjoying it that I started lathering for a 4th pass. Reason why I was on the fence of over shaving. I just made a few stroke and decided that it wasn't a good idea.

Used my alum block after and I had very little stinging at 2 or 3 places... which is a bit of my fault...

The aftershave felt amazing! And the scent is tremendous.

I palm stroped the blade after the shave to continue my experiment with that technique.

Hope you all have a nice one!

I just cannot wait for my next shave. Although I don't have the time to shave everyday, this blade will push me to find the time to shave more often!

Attachments

• 20210911_120957.jpg
    20210911_120957.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 4
Blade #1 shave 11
Razor: Fatip lo Storto Gentile
Brush: Custom Shavemac 26/54 two band silvertip fan
Soap, balm, splash, and frag: Pasteur Pharmacy / Wholly Kaw Timmermann
Post: Thayer's witch hazel astringent, Instaskincare hyaluronic acid, balm, splash
Happy shave.
IMG_20210911_095212.jpg
Originally I was going to start blade #2, but, I didn't want two blades going at once. This was my first use of the Fatip lo Storto Gentile. The combination of blade and razor was very good. Very smooth and efficent. I achieved as close to BBS as I ever do, maybe a bit better. It was a great 3 pass shave with touch ups. The blade hasn't degraded at all still sharp and smooth.

proxy.php

Eighth shave with the Polsilver Stainless (Vintage) blade #2

Razor
Brush: Fine Classic 20mm Angel Hair
Soap: Pré de Provence Bergamot and Thyme

A superb shave!

I believe that we've hit the sweet spot for this blade because today's shave was the best, so far. All three passes were extremely smooth and comfortable. The slight roughness that I experienced on September 7 is just a memory now. No buffing was required. There was no post-shave irritation.

Frankly, I think that the Polsilver Stainless is the smoothest blade that I've ever tried, as far as the ATG pass is considered. Some of my favourite blades may be slightly better blades, overall, but none are as smooth on the ATG pass. That's a big deal for me because of the swirly beard pattern at the left side of my jawline that always causes me grief. The Polsilver Stainless just glides over it as easy as you please. 😍

Top Bottom