Preshave: shower, frigid tap water
Brush: Shavemac Synthetic 26mm
Soap: Stirling Soap ~ Stirling Blu
Razor: Fatip Open Comb Slant
Blade: vintage Polsilver Stainless (8)
Post shave: frigid tap water, Stirling Soap ~ Stirling Blu
Fragrance: Polo Blue EdT

Blade 3 - Shave 8

Today I caught some minor irritation, because I applied too much pressure during the atg strokes. I hardly could feel the blade and I got a bit too careless, it seems. But there's no reason to blame the blade for such smoothness, the opposite is true. Three passes, bbs. Maybe I'll skip tomorrow's shave, but this is a decision to be made tomorrow according to the recovery of my skin.

In any case: onward to shave no. 9.
Happy shaves, y'all!

Last edited:
proxy.php

Forty-eighth shave with the Polsilver Stainless (Vintage) blade #1

Razor
: Fatip Lo Storto Originale (aka FOCS)
Brush: Yaqi Sagrada Familia 24mm Fan-shaped Tuxedo
Soap: Pré de Provence Bergamot and Thyme

A similar shave to yesterday's, which is a good thing because it means that it's not getting worse.

The FOCS/Polsilver Stainless duo delivered three trouble-free passes. The WTG and ATG passes were routine. The XTG pass had displayed some intermittent roughness over the last two days, but that was not evident, today. I think that the extra-slick lather generated by the Yaqi Sagrada Familia Tuxedo Fan/PdP B&T pairing really helped here.

I only had to buff minimally (a few strokes around the left jawline and one stroke above the Adam's apple), so there was no chance of post-shave irritation.

Overall, a quick, comfortable shave.

A6DE8C19-6FE3-4483-B9D0-8A684F7E8AC4.jpeg
Blade 4 Shave 14
Pre:
Proraso white
Brush: PAA StarCraft
Lather: Dr Jon’s Savannah Sunrise
Razor: RR GC 84 w/bulldog handle

Well seeing as though I was having good success with a pre war Tech I decided to switch it up. Makes sense right? Well of all the razors I have do think the GameChanger 84 SB most resembles a Tech in head design, and sure enough after getting the usual great lather from the good Dr I employed short steep strokes for a decent three passer after some touch ups. As has been said before, this blade is really smooth, but could benefit from some added sharpness. For this guy’s mug anyway.

Last night (August 31) I had shave #13 with blade #2 of the Polisilver Stainless Steel blades. The blade was held in place with a Fendrihan Kingston razor head on a West Coast Shaving 79BR handle.

I used Captain's Choice Venture soap for the last time in the foreseeable future (I'm planning to use either my Proraso Blue, Art of Shving Peppermint, and/or Ariana & Evans's Peaches and Cognac in the Kaizen base for the next month).

I showered with cold water and also used cold water to soak my new Semogue Owners Club cherry wood handle finest badger brush. Additionally, I soaked an almond sized sliver of soap in my Captain's Choice Seaworthy bowl before each shave (I dumped the soapy water into an empty cup and applied a little of the soapy water to my face before each lather pass).

The Captain's Choice Venture shave soap was marvelous, again. But with my new SOC, I was also able to massage my face a little while applying the lather before moving on to my usual painting strokes.

I did my usual two pass (WTG and ATG) shave and buffed my trouble areas. Feeling a little paranoid, because I didn't really feel my blade, I did some extra buffing of my usual trouble areas. Afterward, I cleaned up with my usual alum block pass before washing it off and applying aftershave splash (Aqua Velva Ice Blue) and aftershave balm (Duke Cannon Ice Cold).

My shave was fantastic! Even with a little more buffing than usual, I barely felt any feedback when I applied my alum block post-shave. When I applied my aftershave splash, I almost thought I didn't apply any to my cheeks as there was little to no alcohol sting!

All in all, I would give this shave a 99/100. Yet, this was the 13th shave with the same blade! 😮

IMG_20210902_102040.jpg

Today I threw blade #1 in the Karve C.B. with plate C SB for shave 5. I achieved damn near BBS results. Best shave I have had in a week of good shaves. My normal blade is the Wizamet Super Iridium and these stainless blades are just as smooth. I usually don't take my blades too many shaves, but, I have been flipping them and plan to take them as far as I can. If they were obtainable I would easily order in bulk.

20210902_141344-01.jpeg
SOTD #222/2021
02-09-2021

>> Stirling Soaptember<<

Brush: Stirling Soap finest badger
Soap: Stirling Soap ~ Mountain Man
Razor: Mühle R41 GS
Blade: vintage Polsilver Stainless (9)
Post shave: frigid tap water, Stirling Soap ~ Mountain Man AS.

Blade 3 - Shave 9
Fortunately my skin recovered fast enough to have a shave today. 3 passes without touchups - and my skin felt like oil on glas.

The R41 GS reveals any loss of sharpness of a blade immediately... as she did today. But fortunately I caught no new irritation, had a very minor nick on the jaw bone only. According to my face-o-meter I'd say this blade has entered the deep autumn of its life. But it might be still good enough for tomorrow's two digits shave. We shall see...

Onward to shave no. 10!
Happy shaves, y'all!

proxy.php

Forty-ninth shave with the Polsilver Stainless (Vintage) blade #1

Razor
Brush: Yaqi Blue Marble 26mm Timber Wolf
Soap: Vitos Classic Eucalyptus and Lanolin

A much improved shave!

The FOCS/Polsilver Stainless duo delivered a surprisingly good performance, today. After three good (but not great) shaves, this morning's shave was an eye-opener. All of my usual passes were smooth, comfortable, and much closer than those from the three previous outings. As a result, buffing was back to the minimum two or three strokes along my left jawline.

Once again, I think that a great lather deserves a lot of credit for today's performance. This time, it was the Yaqi Blue Marble Timber Wolf/Vitos Classic combo. I can always count on Vitos to provide excellent slickness.

So, we're down to only one shave until the Big Five-Oh. I'm not sure that it will actually be worth celebrating. It's more of a freakish curiosity, if anything! 😛

When you cross the 50 yard line are you gonna celebrate with one of these?

E01D99D6-9B0C-417F-A300-28A4C7582E44.jpeg

proxy.php

Forty-ninth shave with the Polsilver Stainless (Vintage) blade #1

Razor
Brush: Yaqi Blue Marble 26mm Timber Wolf
Soap: Vitos Classic Eucalyptus and Lanolin

A much improved shave!

The FOCS/Polsilver Stainless duo delivered a surprisingly good performance, today. After three good (but not great) shaves, this morning's shave was an eye-opener. All of my usual passes were smooth, comfortable, and much closer than those from the three previous outings. As a result, buffing was back to the minimum two or three strokes along my left jawline.

Once again, I think that a great lather deserves a lot of credit for today's performance. This time, it was the Yaqi Blue Marble Timber Wolf/Vitos Classic combo. I can always count on Vitos to provide excellent slickness.

So, we're down to only one shave until the Big Five-Oh. I'm not sure that it will actually be worth celebrating. It's more of a freakish curiosity, if anything! 😛

F342C096-27B6-418C-A8B5-8CD728EFA95C.jpeg

Blade 4 Shave 15
Pre:
Proraso white
Brush: AP Shave Co modular synth
Lather: PeeDeep
Razor: Opgress

First use of this (or any) Merkur. Progress with the Opgress brass mod. Hefty piece of kit. It’s nice, I like it. Looks kinda classy in an old school way. I like the looks of the original too as it’s a decades long classic for a reason. Anyway, first two passes with and across the grain felt nice. Against the grain there was substantial tugging but maybe due to the razor’s style and not the blade. Find out tomorrow I guess. After some buffing the cheeks aren’t too bad but the neck didn’t fare so well. Some whiskers left behind and some irritation. Maybe this razor design has a lot of chatter, I don’t know.(Yes I aligned the pieces correctly)

Yeah that’s my jam. Short steep strokes. It could be the octogenarian blade as well. 🍻
Edit: Good to know this thing can go smooth ATG. I was just guessing it might be chatter based on the design. I don’t know what setting I was on cause with the Opgress there’s no numbers but I’m guessing around 3 ish
Maybe try a steep angle approach? I have a similar razor, a Mergress, steep angle shave on setting 4 wtg / atg yields a dolphin smooth shave here. Good luck!

Blade 3 shave 1
Razor
: Bevel Clone
Soap: Stirling Varen
Aftershave: Lustray Draggon Noir
Shave felt rough, or very sharp, but somehow managed to get through it with no nicks/weepers maybe thanks to the mutton tallow. I felt a small amount of tug, maybe this blade does a little better in milder razors.

When you cross the 50 yard line are you gonna celebrate with one of these?

View attachment 1321712
Wow, that brings back memories! My Dad used to drink Labatt 50 back in the '60s and '70s before Labatt Blue was introduced. I don't think it's available around here any more.

So, I might have to settle for whatever tickles my fancy; maybe something from Dageraad or Steamworks. (Yes, unlike my Dad, I've become a craft beer snob! 😝 )

Sept Stirling Slant Fri 3 Blade #1 Shave#7
Soap
Stirling Haverford
Brush Yaqi 24mm Sagrada Familia
Razor Fatip OC Slant
Blade Vintage Polsilver Super Stainless 7th
Aftershaves Stirling Witchhazel MitA + Stirling Haverford Balm
Beautifully aromatic tobacconist & vanilla scented soap. The lather was creamy and slick too...
The shave with this slant razor paired with the blade was good. Easy, smooth, and comfortable in 3passes for a between bbs to dfs result. The blade is still good. The matching aftershave balm is absolutely awesome!! Matching splash is otw...
20210903_134501.jpg

20210903_174623-01.jpeg
SOTD #223/2021
03-09-2021

>> Stirling Soaptember, day 3<<

Brush: Thäter 2-band silvertip badger LE
Soap: Stirling Soap ~ Hipster
Razor: Yaqi Top Aggressive Double Open Comp Slant
Blade: vintage Polsilver Stainless (1)
Post shave: frigid tap water, Stirling Soap ~ Hipster AS.
Fragrance: Tommy Hilfinger ~ tommy EdT

Blade 4 - Shave 1

You may have already noticed. I changed blades today.... I gave it some thought and came to the conclusion that pairing a nearly worn blade with this behemoth of a slant razor (on its first use, which would have made things even more unpredictable) was not a good idea.

Turns out it wasn't the worst idea... the strokes with the fresh Polsilver offered an acceptable level of shaving comfort... though calling the Yaqi Top Aggressive Double Open Comp Slant in a statement about shaving comfort is quite a euphemism. There is a lot of blade feel with this razor head, it requires your full attention, as otherwise it will likely bite. "Top Aggressive" isn't an exaggeration. However, the Polsilver reduced the aggressiveness of the head to a tolerable level (a level that is still way down north of the scale).

My 24 hours worth of growth was blown away after 3 passes. Ultra close bbs. The sting from the aftershave was very intense, wow, what a burn. But I ended up successful, no pink lather, no blood stains, I just had some redness on my cheeks.

This is an interesting head that needs more uses. However, the Polsilver is a perfect fit blade for the shaves to come.

Onward to shave no. 2.

Happy shaves, y'all!

Last edited:
proxy.php

Fiftieth shave with the Polsilver Stainless (Vintage) blade #1

Razor
Brush: Fine Stout 24mm Angel Hair
Soap: RazoRock Santa Maria del Fiore

A comfortable shave, but it's time to put this blade out to pasture.

The FOCS/Polsilver Stainless duo provided another decent performance, but using it every day for the last seven weeks has definitely caught up with it. While consistency had been good for many weeks, shave quality has been declining for about the last seven days. Sharpness has gone down significantly and efficiency has gone down with it. My shaves have required much higher effort over the last while.

None of this is a surprise; this blade probably should have been binned 25 shaves ago just on that basis alone. However, the fact that I managed to get 50 good shaves from it certainly speaks to the quality of this blade. I've never used a more steady blade, in terms of consistency over an extended period. My 50th shave was almost as close as my first, although I needed to work much harder to achieve that result.

The other characteristic that bears mentioning is the consistent smoothness of the blade; there are almost no ups and downs over extended use. Other reviewers have mentioned this trait, as well. Post-shave irritation has been completely absent, except on those rare times when my technique faltered.

Another thing that impressed me is the ability of this blade to stay clean. This blade has somehow managed to look almost like new, despite 50 uses. Again, this speaks to the quality of this blade's manufacture (the coating, to be precise).

So, what's next? Well, naturally, I'll be starting a second blade to see if I can replicate the results from my first blade! 😁

(Seriously, though... I'll start a second blade, but I won't be pushing it like this one. As mentioned above, I should have tossed out this blade at least three weeks ago!)

I'm back to the vintage Polsilver Stainless (blade #2) after taking a time out to test a couple of injectors I bought.
Associated gear:
WSC/YPM Winning razor
Simpson Trafalgar T2 Synthetic brush
Dr. Jon's Classic soap
Thayer's Toner WH
Nivea Men ASB

Annnd things restarted just where they left off. I had to slightly tweak muscle memory after a week's worth of injector shaving, but after the first couple of strokes I was good. A rare perfect shave; no nicks weepers or post-shave irritation, just an easy BBS. I know my reviews are pretty poor (and repetitive) but when there's no drama, there isn't much to say.

Top Bottom