What's new

Participation PIF - ELIOS Inoxidable Blades

You had those taped in there good! There were going nowhere.

Sisb1FT2Qba+NjEJUDUu3Q_thumb_cd7.jpg

I’m in. What the hell does inoxidable mean? Do I need to be inoxidable? Are these just for shavers who are inoxidable? Cause, I think I’m probably oxidable.

Here is a shot of each side of one blade. Clean on one side; 4 wax (?) dots on the other side. Not a big glob like we get from PPI blades:

IMG_0823.jpeg
IMG_0824.jpeg

Mine arrived today packaged exactly as shown. Nice work! Thank you.

I’ll try one of these German mystery blades for the first time here on Sunday. I’m not going to lie, I’ve tried quite a few different blades lately, and have come to the realization that I’m generally a fan of coated blades that originate in the wilds of the former CCCP. But I’m going to keep a very open mind because some of the German blades came in a close second.

Thanks again.

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
I just shaved with one.
I cut myself very slightly 3 times.
The razor was a Yuma. It has 3 pieces.

It was a very good shave, but I hope I won’t cut myself on Monday.

I was going to wait until the end of next week to post, but figured @Grundi would appreciate some early feedback.

I'll be using all four of my razors, two shaves each, for a total of 8 shaves. Each razor will get a new blade and it will get used twice.

Schedule
Saturday and Sunday - Timeless Aluminum
Monday & Tuesday - RazoRock SLOC
Wednesday & Thursday - Mühle Rocca R96 v4
Friday & Saturday - Mühle R41 Twist

Equipment
Proraso Green preshave
Proraso Green shaving cream
Timeless blue lather bowl
Haircut & Shave 24mm synthetic brush
Thayer's unscented witch hazel
BRUT aftershave

Method
All shaves will include one WTG pass and one XTG pass, minimal buffing, and no touch-ups. I'll check my face with a mirror and with my hands for relative smoothness. I have fast growing wiry stubble, so close shaves are a tall order for any razor and blade combo.

I'll refer back to this post when writing my shave reports to keep those posts concise.

And that's it! Thanks again!

Shave 1 - Saturday, Timeless Aluminum with ELIOS blade (first use)

A description of my setup is HERE.

Face Feel: Smooth and comfortable
Closeness: Better than average
Aftershave Feedback: Minimal
Overall Rating: 8 / 10
Comments: This is only my third shave with this razor, but it's the first shave I've been impressed with. The blade seems sharper and smoother than a Derby Extra or Derby Premium, and my brain when straight to Astra SS (blue) for comparison. What a great start!

I utterly lack the practiced methodology of @NicksDad , but I just finished my first shave with the Elios blade. I'm purposefully not even talking about the hardware & software I use. Also, this is the first time I've used a non-GSB/Polsilver blade in almost 4 years.

I am a 6 days/week shaver; typically 2 passes (WTG & ATG) + buffing my problem areas (chin and especially above upper lip/mustache area where the hairs grow almost straight down as opposed to out). I have tough, wiry facial hair, but it does not grow thick. My hairs tend to eat blades even though, again, it's not a thick growth; it's like cutting strands of electrical wiring.

First (WTG) pass was actually a bit "concerning" to the extent I felt some drag. However, that changed quickly with my 2nd (ATG) pass. Dang...extremely smooth; not the sharpest of blades (for me, not as sharp as GSB). So smooth that I actually wished I needed another pass. Then, on to the buffing. Again here, as smooth as butter. Zero nicks, zero weepers. My face feels as smooth as glass.

I have no plan as far as how many uses I'll give each blade. I figure I'll simply use until I feel the slightest struggle.

Needless to say, first use was extremely promising. If future shaves go this way, I'll be on the hunt for a full card of these blades.

Top Bottom