What's new

Participation PIF - A Very Mysteree-X Shave

Personna Mysteree X blade three, Shave #2

Razor:
Wolfman WR1
Brush: Rudy Vey B&B 2-band
Soap: La Toja
Splash: Proraso green

Comment: 10/10 shave today! Nothing to criticize, either I am growing comfortable with this blade or vice-versa. :popc::popc:

Mysteerree Blade Shave No. 18

Razor: English 'Souplex' Open Comb, made in Morecombe, Lancashire, C.1930's
Soap: Palmolive Classic Shaving Cream
Brush: English 'New Forest' Badger
IMG_20220529_210811848.jpg

I apologise that I have been a little remiss in reporting shaves over the past days!

I took the 'X' series out on shave #17 on Friday evening using the 1964 English Tech. it performed excellently with the razor. I recall it was a 2+ day growth but 3 passes and some pickup gave a DFS+ result.

To tonight's shave. Again, a 2 day+ growth. As I trust the 'X' blade completely in it's behaviour, I thought I would run it in a new acquisition, a near mint English 'Souplex' OC from the golden age of English independent manufacturers. Souplex were based in Lancashire and also sold razors under the 'BigBen' brand among others. They were in direct competition with the Sheffield makers, including Laurel and Wardonia. Also I believe James Neill &Co, who used the 'Eclipse' brand name which included the legendary Red Ring.

It is a beautiful razor, weighing in at only 42gms on my scales. With a lovely Doric column handle. The head looks to be of the same construction as a Gillette Old type, with the very flat profile and strongly curved blade attitude. Build quality is excellent.

I lathered up well and began. It is a wonderfully efficient razor to use, yet feels very smooth. A very nice and trouble-free 3 passer resulted. Again the blade was a Superhero, and an hour after stubble retraction has set in I can report a superb BB result.

Last edited:
Shave #3 on the Personna X, with some changes.

Blade: Personna X- Series
Razor: Razorock Game Changer 68P
Brush: Omega 10290 boar
Soap: MdC Agrumes (sample)
AS: Captain's Choice Lime

I wanted to try the blade in a slightly more efficient razor to see if it would mow down my customary 2-day stubble with less effort than the ASD2. I also got some samples of Martin DeAndre shave soap and had to try some, to see what all the fuss is about. I did change the "flavor" of my AS but still the Captain's.

Neither the razor or soap let me down, nor the blade. Paired with the Razorock on it's third shave the Personna made quick work of my beard, and the soap was a creamy citrus delight. Very nice, though I'm still on the fence about buying a full jar.

Anyway, still feels like the Personna is a solid all-around blade, that I would happily use regularly if I ran out of my stand-by Astra SP. Bear in mind that this assessment comes a newb with just two months experience.

Shave rating still 9 of 10.

Tue 31 Mysteree-X Blade#1 Shave#20 and still good for more...awesome!!
Soap Stirling Margaritas in the Arctic
Brush Yaqi 26mm Lucky Dice 2 Band Badger
Razor Yaqi DLC
Blade Persona X Series 20th Use
Aftershaves Stirling Margaritas in the Arctic Witchhazel & Splash
Absolutely love this soap...for the scent, cooling sensation, and creamy slick lather whipped up easily by the marvelously plush brush!
Amazingly, still a good shave with this well-used blade paired with the razor. Still smooth and crisp. 3passes without any issues for a dfs+ finish. The matching aftershaves are much needed for a stifling hot humid day.
20220531_120528.jpg

Last edited:
Mysteerree Blade Treet Silver. Shave No.1

Razor: Fatip Piccolo Mk 2
Blade: Treet Silver Carbon Steel
Soap: Palmolive Classic Shave Cream
Brush: Unbranded, I Believe Boar. Excellent Scrubber And Painter
IMG_20220531_204422519.jpg

It was time to rest the Personna 'X' after 18 trips, although there is at least a couple of good shaves left in it.

To uncharted territory, out of my comfort zone etc, to whit, a carbon steel blade. I had no idea what to expect, although I was seeing very favourable reports, so that helped.

Very good quality double wrapping. That's a check I suppose. Silver coloured blade. It almost looks normal. I was expecting it to be blue-black with a sinister glint. So, check.

I loaded it up in the Piccolo and face lathered a good long time. Plenty in the brush for 2 more passes plus pick ups.

I was expecting rough and/or tuggy. No idea why. Instead the first WTG pass was a complete joy.

Not only superbly sharp right out of the gate, but superbly smooth too. The second XTG was even better. To be honest a 2 pass WTG and ATG would work with this blade.

The final ATG pass is always a good test on my whiskers with a blade. This one just sliced effortlessly, while feeling silky smooth. It dealt decisively with the two 'test' areas I always find problematic to cut, the cleft of my chin and upper lip.

A couple of XTG pick up swipes on my jawline, and the shave was done.

To round up, this blade is a complete revelation. It starts off immediately with a fantastic smoothness, and the edge is superb. I am very interested in this blade for regular use. Let's just see if it can stay the course for say 6 shaves with this level of performance. If it can, I'm sold.

A fantastic BB result. Very satisfied with that.

Sounds like a fitting prize. Congratulations, for figuring out 2 Mysteree Blades based on some random internet guy's shave descriptions, you've won a Treet carbon sampler! PM me your address to receive your grand prize.
I was surprised and impressed by @T Bone 's generosity yesterday when a package of 101 blades arrived at my door, including what appears to be the full array of currently produced Treet razors, carbon and otherwise, plus some fine Czech offerings:
treet1.jpg

(Ever jealous, my cat is sitting on a tuck of Tigers.)

Next, I will set up an official, scientific-ish Treet review thread to mark my slow progress through the blades.
In an eerie coincidence, the cat examined all the tucks and also selected @T Bone 's mystery blade, the Treet Silver:
treet3.jpg

In her enthusiasm for cat Treets, she punctured the tuck, so the clock's ticking on oxidation ... and we've selected the first blade for me to test.

Keep an eye out on the safety razor blades subforum for the great Treet challenge (or some treat pun, title to come). It will be a real delicacy! A real luxury! A real delight! A real -- OK, OK, I'm going.

I was surprised and impressed by @T Bone 's generosity yesterday when a package of 101 blades arrived at my door, including what appears to be the full array of currently produced Treet razors, carbon and otherwise, plus some fine Czech offerings:
View attachment 1465415
(Ever jealous, my cat is sitting on a tuck of Tigers.)

Next, I will set up an official, scientific-ish Treet review thread to mark my slow progress through the blades.
In an eerie coincidence, the cat examined all the tucks and also selected @T Bone 's mystery blade, the Treet Silver:
View attachment 1465417
In her enthusiasm for cat Treets, she punctured the tuck, so the clock's ticking on oxidation ... and we've selected the first blade for me to test.

Keep an eye out on the safety razor blades subforum for the great Treet challenge (or some treat pun, title to come). It will be a real delicacy! A real luxury! A real delight! A real -- OK, OK, I'm going.
I appear to have missed a bit of the point on this one, in that the package is entirely (or almost entirely, more on that) carbon steel blades. I wasn't aware all those Czech blades were also carbon, as I wasn't here for the earlier carbon blade face-off.

The one carbon blade I've used is a Treet Dura Sharp yellow. They seem not to make them any longer (although, as others suggest, one of the current carbon offerings might be a repackaged yellow Dura Sharp). And strangely, the current (blue) Dura Sharps seem not to be carbon steel. RBC lists them as teflon coated but doesn't mention the main metal; maybe they're just teflon-coated carbon?

This just a preview of the mysteries I'll be wading into when this thing starts rolling!

In an eerie coincidence, the cat examined all the tucks and also selected @T Bone 's mystery blade, the Treet Silver

Seemed silly not to add the non-Treet carbons and non-carbon Dura Sharps for free shipping. Enjoy, looking forward to official scientific-ish reviews!

Shave #4 on the Personna X, with another razor

Blade: Personna X- Series
Razor: Gillette gold ball-end Tech
Brush: Omega boar
Soap: MdC Fougere (sample)
AS: Pinaud Lime

Thought I would show one of my Techs some love today. I'm mild shaver kinda guy, and the Techs are my favorite goof-proof shavers.

I rarely go for BBS, but that was the goal today. The mild-mannered Tech was up to it but made me earn it, on a two-day beard. After three full passes with considerable touch-up and some buffing around my chin, the Tech rewarded me with one of the best shaves of my short DE journey. Mostly (95%) BBS, with no nicks or irritation, and nice feedback from my Pinaud AS.

Rating: 9.5 of 10

Edit: Forgot to mention the Mysteree X blade. Well, I never really thought about it, but that's the goal, right? It just worked.

20220601_132906.jpg

Last edited:
Shave #5 with Treet Silver in the Blackbird. Second experience with carbon steel blades, seems to be very sharp and smooth in the beginning, but seems to degrade faster than the stainless steel ones. I probably toss this blade, I don’t know if I can get another shave from it.

Thu 2 Mysteree-X Blade#1 Shave#21...Wow! Speechless...
Cream
Proraso Green
Brush Yaqi 24mm Mojito 2 Band Badger
Razor Yaqi Mellon COB
Blade Persona X Series 21st Use
Aftershaves Stirling Witchhazel Wintergreen + Proraso Green Splash
A pleasant outdoor shave with this outstanding cream!! Perfectly whip-up by the excellent brush into a grand lather...smelling and feeling fantastic!!
What else to say regarding this blade...today paired with the razor gives a very smooth comfortable and efficient shave...3passes for a bbs/dfs finish without any issues...wow!! I have never enjoyed using a DE blade for so long...amazing!!
The aftershave is just impeccable!
20220602_110159 (2).jpg
20220602_111230 (2).jpg

Mysteerree Blade Treet Silver Carbon Steel Shave No. 2

Razor: Laurel Open Comb - Sheffield, England, C. Early 30's
Brush: English 'New Forest' Badger
Soap: Arko! Shave Stick
A/S: Old Spice Italian Manufacture
IMG_20220602_213026847.jpg

I am still working through my current infatuation with vintage open combs.

Picked up a near mint Laurel razor for a good price. One of the big three Sheffield razor makers with the Wardonia and Eclipse brands. Basically it is a very high quality clone of a Gillette Old type. Build quality is excellent and the handles appeared to have escaped the Gillette splitting flaw. Mine is perfect. It seems slightly heavier than an Old, with a nickled finish. On the first run it appears a lovely, nicely balanced shaver.

The Treet on it's second shave was a disapointment. A great one to be honest. You may recall my glowing report of it's first outing, very sharp and smooth straight out of the wrapper.

It was still pleasantly smooth this time round, except it had completely lost that excellent edge.

It took 4(!) full passes to achieve a lower standard of shave than the first one was. I have never had to do 4 full passes before.

I would understand it's behaviour if it was the X blade in my Tech after shave 25, with near three days growth, which I had tonight. However not after just the second shave. I have never experienced such a drop off in performance in a blade before.

This was in a razor which in head design is not noted for it's mildness. I'm baffled.

I will give it one more run, if it continues to decline then my brief love affair with Ms Treet Silver is at an end.

DFS but with a heavy heart.

Last edited:
Fri 3 Mysteree-X Blade#1 Shave#22...and still good for more! Almost no place to mark the blade...
Soap Stirling Haverford
Brush SOC Cherry Wood Boar
Razor Karve Brass SB-D
Blade Persona X Series 22nd Use
Aftershaves Stirling Witchhazel MitA + Stirling Haverford Splash
Lovely scented soap...love the aromatic tobacccigarist scent. The lather is creamy and slick too...
Another terrific shave with the razor paired with the well-used blade. Still no signs of blade deterioration. Still giving a smooth comfortable and surprisingly efficient result. 3passes without any issues for a bbs/dfs finish. The matching aftershave is just super...
20220603_092127.jpg

Top Bottom