What's new

Participation PIF - A Very Mysteree-X Shave

Mysteree blade #2, Shave #3

Blade: Tatra Platinum
Razor: Henson AL13 head on a SS handle
Cream: Proraso Green with a dab of Cremo Cooling
Brush: Cheap no-name off of Amazon
Aftershave: AV Ice Blue

Another great shave with the Tatra. Very happy with this blade and could definitely see this being in my lineup in the future.

IMG_2042.jpeg

Personna X-Series #3, shave #4
2 days growth
Preshave: warm shower
Brush: PAA Starcraft (24mm synth)
Cream: Speick
Razor: Lupo 58
Aftershave: alum, Nancy Boy signature gel

Went for an efficient 2.5-pass shave tonight. I was a bit more efficient than I have been recently, closer to 20 minutes than 30. But it didn't mean avoiding cuts. First, I went over the same blemish on my chin as I did on Saturday. Seriously, what the heck? I'm fifty, not fifTEEN, for cryin' out loud! I thought it might require the Proraso ripatore gel this time, but at least I didn't need that. I also thought I got through the rest of my shave unscathed, but 3 more tiny spots of blood indicated more weepers. Result is DFS+, very nearly BBS- but not quite there.

The blade is still performing pretty well. Besides the aforementioned weepers, I noted a bit more tugging. Some irritation is present but very mild, less than last shave, as I didn't do much buffing this time.

6.27/10

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
View attachment 1460621

Personna X-Series #3, shave #4
2 days growth
Preshave: warm shower
Brush: PAA Starcraft (24mm synth)
Cream: Speick
Razor: Lupo 58
Aftershave: alum, Nancy Boy signature gel

Went for an efficient 2.5-pass shave tonight. I was a bit more efficient than I have been recently, closer to 20 minutes than 30. But it didn't mean avoiding cuts. First, I went over the same blemish on my chin as I did on Saturday. Seriously, what the heck? I'm fifty, not fifTEEN, for cryin' out loud! I thought it might require the Proraso ripatore gel this time, but at least I didn't need that. I also thought I got through the rest of my shave unscathed, but 3 more tiny spots of blood indicated more weepers. Result is DFS+, very nearly BBS- but not quite there.

The blade is still performing pretty well. Besides the aforementioned weepers, I noted a bit more tugging. Some irritation is present but very mild, less than last shave, as I didn't do much buffing this time.

6.27/10
Oh no!

@fast shaver DOES NOT ALLOW decimal points in pass counts my friend!

Or is it just ME he won't let do the fractions and decimals?!

Tue 24 Mysteree-X Blade#1 Shave#16!!
Soap
Yaqi Malibu
Brush Yaqi 24mm Purple Mink
Razor Karve Brass OC-D
Blade Persona X Series 16th Use
Aftershave Yaqi Malibu Splash
Very nice scented soap and the lather is just impeccably creamy and slick...
A good uneventful shave with the razor paired with the well-used but still very smooth blade. Efficiency is not as good but still able to get a dfs result in 3passes without any issues. The aftershave is very good too...
20220524_093644.jpg

Oh no!

@fast shaver DOES NOT ALLOW decimal points in pass counts my friend!

Or is it just ME he won't let do the fractions and decimals?!
Oh, dear! I certainly don’t mean to offend! 😮😬😰

I know @T Bone is from Florida, but using decimals is the way we do it in Europe, we leave fractions to our American cousins
I believe @FarmerTan is saying that both decimals AND fractions are frowned upon when counting passes!

Allow me to attempt to rectify the situation!
Went for an efficient 2.5-pass 2-pass shave tonight, with an extra cleanup pass on my neck.
or perhaps
Went for an efficient 2.5-pass 2-pass shave tonight, with some heavy cleanup on my neck.
if that which doesn’t cover the entire shaving surface shall not be referred to as a “pass” at all.

I hope that clears the air, @fast shaver. We mustachioed avatars must stick together!

Mysteree-X shave May 23

Razor: Gillette Old Type w/Tech handle
Blade: Personna X-series (Third blade, third and final use)
Aftershave: Barrister and Mann Leviathan

Life intervened and I missed my morning shave, leaving me with more than two days' stubble to contend with. I've grown used to this blade and all its eccentricities. It's a second-pass blade for me: it struggles on the with-the-grain pass and then shines going across the grain. Then it's back to hard work against the grain and cleanup.

Again I tried for a sorta-close shave that didn't have to last as long and again I got a surprisingly close shave except where I intentionally backed off. I'm glad I stuck with the Old Type for all three shaves; they were all close and irritation-free without cuts.

Now, granted, shaves with the X blade take a long time and aren't the most enjoyable. But, as I see @mikey and @Demolition found them listed at around $10/100, they do meet my criteria for inclusion in a rotation: be cheap and deliver three good shaves. So thank you @mikey and @Grundi for introducing me to these blades, and also for the pleasant surprise of a Treet!

FarmerTan

Oh, dear! I certainly don’t mean to offend! 😮😬😰

I believe @FarmerTan is saying that both decimals AND fractions are frowned upon when counting passes!

Allow me to attempt to rectify the situation!

or perhaps

if that which doesn’t cover the entire shaving surface shall not be referred to as a “pass” at all.

I hope that clears the air, @fast shaver. We mustachioed avatars must stick together!
I think you are in good shape now my friend. But that was a close one!

I could just see you languishing in a dark, damp, dank cell in the dungeons of Arkoland!

As my Minister of Mathematics in Arkoland, @fast shaver 's recommendations carry significant weight doggone!

FarmerTan

Tue 24 Mysteree-X Blade#1 Shave#16!!
Soap
Yaqi Malibu
Brush Yaqi 24mm Purple Mink
Razor Karve Brass OC-D
Blade Persona X Series 16th Use
Aftershave Yaqi Malibu Splash
Very nice scented soap and the lather is just impeccably creamy and slick...
A good uneventful shave with the razor paired with the well-used but still very smooth blade. Efficiency is not as good but still able to get a dfs result in 3passes without any issues. The aftershave is very good too...
View attachment 1460897
Beautiful and colorful shave pics my friend!

IMG_0226_1200x899.jpg

Twenty-eighth shave with the Personna X-Series (Platinum Coated) blade #1

Razor
: Fatip Lo Storto Originale (aka FOCS)
Brush: Omega 10005 (24mm Boar)
Soap: Proraso Red (Sandalwood) Shaving Cream

The FOCS/X-Series duo continues to perform well.

Now on its fourth week of use, the X-Series blade is still providing excellent shaves. My three usual passes were all quick and comfortable, once again. The WTG pass was very smooth; no sign of the slight tugginess that has occasionally popped up in the past. Meanwhile, the ATG and XTG passes still haven't given me any problems; since the start, they have been completely trouble-free.

I did have to buff quite heavily. This is a phenomenon that sprang up a couple of days ago and doesn't appear to be abating. It's likely a consequence of the number of uses that I've put on this blade. However, it hasn't caused any irritation, either during or after the shave.

Therefore, I feel confident that this blade can just keep going. :thumbup1:

Mysteree blade #2, Shave #4

Blade: Tatra Platinum
Razor: Pre-war Gillette Tech head on a SS handle
Cream: Proraso Green with a dab of Cremo Cooling
Brush: Cheap no-name off of Amazon
Aftershave: AV Ice Blue

I’m normally an every other day shaver, but I’m going camping for 3 days and am just going to let it grow until I get back. Therefore, I shaved tonight after just one day to be clean before the camping trip.

I really like this Tatra blade. Since using this blade I have had no nicks or weepers until tonight. And tonight was one tiny little weeper on my moustache trying to go ultra BBS before going 3 days without a shave. And that weeper went away with a cold water rinse. This is a wonderful blade.

This is the end of the Mysteree-X PIF for me. Heading over to the Schick “old friend” PIF next.

Last edited:
Wed 25 Mysteree-X Blade#1 Shave#17 & Still as good...amazing! I have never gone beyond 17 but for the Science...
Soap Yaqi Hypnotic Blue
Brush Yaqi 24mm Aqua Tuxedo
Razor Yaqi DLC
Blade Persona X Series 17th Use
Aftershave Witchhazel Lemon Chill + Yaqi Hypnotic Blue Splash
Just good this soap. Easily whipped, lovely scent, rich creamy and slick lather...
Just amazed with this blade...no sign of giving up. Paired with the razor, the shave is still very smooth and comfortable. 3passes for a surprisingly good finish...bbs/dfs. Aftershave was very good.
20220525_142012.jpg

Razor: Wolfman 1.25

Brush: SOC badger

Soap: Murphy & McNeil Náid

Blade: Personna X (5)

Bowl: Captain’s Choice

I’m a frugal (cheap) guy :). My goal is to at least 5 shaves, I shave until the
blade started tugging. Unfortunately this blade can handle my wiry whiskers.

Today I tried this blade in a more aggressive razor and the results are the same. Some tugging and some burning using AS.

Let’s try the other mysterious blade (Treet Silver) ;).

059260FC-2443-47CA-B1D1-D72F6F52C62A.jpeg

Last edited:
I really like this Tatra blade. Since using this blade I have had no nicks or weepers until tonight. And tonight was one tiny little weeper on my moustache trying to go ultra BBS before going 3 days without a shave. And that weeper went away with a cold water rinse. This is a wonderful blade.

I'm also a big fan of the Tatra Platinum. A couple of years ago, 26 of us compared the Tatra Platinum vs. the Tiger Platinum in the "Czech Out These Blades" Participation PIF.

Overall, the Tatra was very popular and several of us ended up buying more of them. Now, it's one of my go-to blades, along with the Gillette Perma-Sharp Super. :thumbup1:

Top Bottom