What's new

Participation PIF - A Very Mysteree-X Shave

Mysteree Blade
Razor: Twig
Blade: Personna X-Series (Blade 2, Side 2, Shave 3)
Brush: Omega Mixed Midget
Soap: Taconic Urban Woods
Balm: Proraso White
Aftershave: Bootleggers Green Freeze

Another DFS shave. The tugging I was worried about didn’t happen. I think, at least with this razor, that plenty of lather helps avoid the tugging.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Whoops, that was X-Series #3, shave #3 this afternoon. For historical accuracy. Decades from now, someone is going to be researching how well a vintage Personna X-Series will perform on its third shave, and I don’t want a gaping hole in the data because I noticed my mistake too late to edit the post.
Brother, if you keep up with your obvious try at being as self important as I am, YOU COULD EASILY step in as king of Arkoland if for some reason I am unable to fulfill my Royal duties!

History is written by the victors, and the self appointed leaders of the Unfree Werld! "long live Arkoman!"

Brother, if you keep up with your obvious try at being as self important as I am, YOU COULD EASILY step in as king of Arkoland if for some reason I am unable to fulfill my Royal duties!

History is written by the victors, and the self appointed leaders of the Unfree Werld! "long live Arkoman!"
Can I be King of Arkoland having never shaved with Arko? I was thinking about buying a stick so I’ve been researching it, but after reading a thread of opinions, I’m still on the fence. True story, doggone.

Personna 'X' Series Mystteerree Shave No 13

Razor: Edwin Jagger DES89K Kelvin
Brush: English 'New Forest' Badger (Not Pictured Here)
Soap: Arko! Soap Stick
IMG_20220510_211712472.jpg

Again I used the very capable and enjoyable EJ DES89 Kelvin short handle for this shave.

Also again, with a 2+ day wiry stubble, it was something for the blade to do.

I screwed up the lathering initially. I invariably face lather, and after applying a good coating of Arko! on my gob, I went to with the lovely New Forest brush. However, after my initial lathering and first pass, I realised I had not wetted the brush sufficiently. Arko! is quite a thirsty soap in combo with a badger, so the first pass lather was too cakey and thick really. However I fixed that by the simple expedient of wetting the brush slightly in the sink water.

A nice, more watery lather resulted, plenty in the brush for 2+ more passes. The rest of the shave went well and uneventfully.

Again, a very pleasant smooth finish. No real work involved, and no touch ups of note needed, apart from left jawline (always a slight issue).

the blade is just jogging along for me. I expect maybe to get it to 15 or so. Very happy with it's performance, although much as I expected based on prior experience.

I will be breaking out one of the other mystery blades in the next days, for a very special shave with a 'new' razor, which I may create a separate thread on.

A smooth, comfortable shave and result. A reliable performer par excellence!

Last edited:
Personna Mysteree blade two, Shave #11

Razor:
Wolfman WR1
Brush: Simpsons duke 2 best
Soap: Fine lavender pour homme
Splash: Fine lavender pour homme

Comment: Better than yesterday: smoother and more comfortable (9.5/10)!!

Excellent outing on day 11!! :thumbup::thumbup:

Mystery blade 1 (Gillette Silver Blue) edge 1, shaves 2-4. Wilkinson Sword Classic (plastic) razor, LEA shave stick, YaQi 22mm tuxedo.

Each shave just as smooth as the last. It did feel like maybe shave 3 wasn't as long lasting as the rest, and on day 4 my face was looking a little red although I couldn't feel any irritation. Any bad effects are just as likely to be down to the fact that I'd been shaving daily for the first time in a couple of years as they are to be arising from any blade deterioration.

I'm back home now, so I'm going to put the second edge of this blade into my Tech, go back to shaving every 48 hours, and see if I can't eke this one out until some new (to me) Schicks appear.

Mysteree Blade

Razor: Twig
Blade: Personna X-Series (4)
Bowl: Captain’s Choice Copper
Brush: Frank 4G
Pre-shave: Proraso White
Soap: Fine Fresh Vetiver
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman

Similar shave to what I have been getting. Modest to no tugging with this blade. A good lather helps a lot. DFS to DFS+.

0E894CCB-D3EA-43F2-8DC1-A539B119E0BC.jpeg

IMG_0222_1196x900.jpg

Twenty-fourth shave with the Personna X-Series (Platinum Coated) blade #1

Razor
: Fatip Lo Storto Originale (aka FOCS)
Brush: Maggard Travel-Size (18mm Timber Wolf)
Soap: RazoRock Gold Label

A quick, relaxing shave.

I have a day off, so I decided to do some yard work and generally lay around the house. As a result, I didn't put much effort into today's shave because my family doesn't really care what I look like. 😜

So, I completed my three usual passes, but didn't buff. As a result, I was left with an SAS. It looks pretty good, but some stubble can be felt along my jawline and under my chin. However, giving my face a break from a daily BBS is probably a good thing.

Can I be King of Arkoland having never shaved with Arko? I was thinking about buying a stick so I’ve been researching it, but after reading a thread of opinions, I’m still on the fence. True story, doggone.
Just give it a try.

If you can't stand it, you know your sense of smell is working properly. This is the cheapest way to test it without needing a doctor's appointment.

If you even enjoy it, well... you're doomed.... But you might at least end up with a decent lather.

Hail to the king! 😉

FarmerTan

Just give it a try.

If you can't stand it, you know your sense of smell is working properly. This is the cheapest way to test it without needing a doctor's appointment.

If you even enjoy it, well... you're doomed.... But you might at least end up with a decent lather.

Hail to the king! 😉
Hey @T Bone ! If you want a stick of Arko I'll mail one to you, or have one of my Loyal/Royal Squires bring it to your Castle my friend!

I have a deal with the Post Office: the folks up there have had complaints that Arko can make baby formula taste funny, so they mail it out fer almost free, and ALWAYS fast. True story doggone!

Round #6 with the personna and the NDC SS. I’ve come to a conclusion that these work for me in a mild razor, little scruff, and expectation of just an alright shave. It has settled down both from the tugging of an aggressive razor and first shave. It hasn’t dulled any more and I’m not getting cuts weepers or nicks but nothing fantastic either. One pass and run to the store, it’s fine.

FarmerTan

Round #6 with the personna and the NDC SS. I’ve come to a conclusion that these work for me in a mild razor, little scruff, and expectation of just an alright shave. It has settled down both from the tugging of an aggressive razor and first shave. It hasn’t dulled any more and I’m not getting cuts weepers or nicks but nothing fantastic either. One pass and run to the store, it’s fine.
Ain't it weird how you can figger out the special combos of blade/razor/soap...?

I guess after what, 6 years or so I should have learned something!

Hey @T Bone ! If you want a stick of Arko I'll mail one to you, or have one of my Loyal/Royal Squires bring it to your Castle my friend!

I have a deal with the Post Office: the folks up there have had complaints that Arko can make baby formula taste funny, so they mail it out fer almost free, and ALWAYS fast. True story doggone!
Appreciate the offer, your royal Arkoness! I'd take you up on it if I didn't have a good 2+ years of software on hand already. (Probably on the low end for around here, but it feels like a lot to me!)

I was just getting a chuckle imagining hemming and hawing over what, a $3(?) purchase, reading through 74 pages of opinions, and still being unable to make a decision. 😂😂🤣

I have no doubt I'll give it a shot eventually, just to see what the fuss is about if nothing else!

FarmerTan

Appreciate the offer, your royal Arkoness! I'd take you up on it if I didn't have a good 2+ years of software on hand already. (Probably on the low end for around here, but it feels like a lot to me!)

I was just getting a chuckle imagining hemming and hawing over what, a $3(?) purchase, reading through 74 pages of opinions, and still being unable to make a decision. 😂😂🤣

I have no doubt I'll give it a shot eventually, just to see what the fuss is about if nothing else!
The offer stands. You are a good egg.

I'm an over easy, I suppose.

Top Bottom