What's new

Participation PIF - A Very Mysteree-X Shave

At least you have some nice blades to look forward to soon! ;)
I really like these challenges. As my way of life, I always put a high end product and a cheap one in rotation. The basic one always remember you how the good one is awesome.

“Hunger is the best sauce in the world,” wrote Miguel de Cervantes in Part II, Chapter V, of Don Quixote, published in 1615. :)

Stay hungry guys :cool:!

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
I have a deal with the Post Office: the folks up there have had complaints that Arko can make baby formula taste funny, so they mail it out fer almost free, and ALWAYS fast. True story doggone!
Yeah, it can make the Post Office smell funny too, why do you think it gets delivered so quickly, no mailman wants it stinking up his truck all day so it gets delivered first. The reason it costs so little to send it, well maybe you should check to see if your clean shaven, incredibly handsome postman has a stock of Arko that fell off the back of a mail truck.

Mysteree blade two, Shave #12

Razor:
Wolfman WR1 (of course!)
Brush: Graydog palm wood 2-band
Soap: Fine santal absolut
Splash: Proraso red

Comment: 9/10 today! Simply outstanding for day 12 on this NOS blade! No muss, no fuss it just mowed down the stubble!:thumbup1::thumbup1::thumbup1:

Mysteree Blade

Personna X-Series, Blade #2, Edge #2, Shave #5

Razor: Twig
Brush: Omega 10005
Soap: B&M 42
Balm: Proraso White
Aftershave: Bootleggers Eldorado

This blade is smoothing out. I’m not noticing any tugging. It also is something less than optimally sharp. Longevity is okay. Between the two edges I’m at 11 shaves and there seem to be more of the same remaining

Mysteree blade #2, Shave #2

Blade: Tatra Platinum
Razor: Pre-war Gillette Tech head on a SS handle
Cream: Nivea Sensitive with a dab of Cremo Cooling
Brush: Cheap no-name off of Amazon
Aftershave: AV Ice Blue

Another lovely shave with the Tatra blade. Close, comfortable, easy, no irritation. Very happy with this blade. I said this about the Treet Durasharp when I tried it, but I could see myself buying 100 of these - especially if they last a full 4 shaves. (The Treet started to fall off during shave #3, but I pushed it to 4 to see how it would do.)

IMG_0223_1200x832.jpg

Twenty-fifth shave with the Personna X-Series (Platinum Coated) blade #1

Razor
: Fatip Lo Storto Originale (aka FOCS)
Brush: Yaqi Black Marble (24mm Silvertip Badger)
Soap: Pré de Provence Bergamot and Thyme

Another quick, trouble-free shave.

After taking it easy, yesterday, I had a much heavier beard growth, today. However, the FOCS/X-Series duo just plowed through it without complaint. The sporadic tugginess on the WTG pass did not make a reappearance. The ATG and XTG passes went by without incident.

As expected, I had to buff heavily, but there was no irritation during or afterward. In the end, I achieved another fairly easy BBS.

So far, the X-Series blade is holding up very well. It has its quirks, but generally acts like many other mid-tier blades.

D8A854E6-C367-48F7-A68D-E67718394919.jpeg

Personna X-Series #3, shave #3
2 days growth
Preshave: warm shower
Brush: PAA Starcraft (24mm synth)
Soap: Mama Bear dragon's blood stick
Razor: Lupo 58
Aftershave: alum, Blade sensitive balm

Yes, shave #3. Since I apparently couldn't count to 2 on Thursday, I need to set the record straight on this blade once and for all:
shave #1: Tuesday night, 17 May
shave #2: Thursday afternoon, 19 May
shave #3: tonight, 21 May

What can I say about the X-Series except that it keeps on X-Seriesing along. It's still not as sharp as a Feather, but it's still sharper than a Derby Extra. It's still not as smooth as a Shark SS (one of the smoother blades to me), but it's still smoother than a Treet Silver on its second shave that wasn’t perfectly dried following its first shave.

This evening's shave took awhile, but achieved BBS- once again. Got a weeper on my neck, another one going over a bump on my chin, then I noticed a couple more on my neck that I must have gotten buffing at the end. Lots of alum feedback, confirming I buffed too much, but not too much irritation.

6.02/10

Sun 22 Mysteree-X SOTD
Soap Barrister & Mann Seville
Brush Yaqi 26mm Moka Express 2 Band Badger
Razor Gillette New SC
Blade Persona X Series 14th use
Aftershave Stirling Witchhazel Orange Chill + B&M Seville Splash
Another wonderful soap! Lovely scented with a rich creamy and slick lather...love it!
This blade is not showing any signs of slowing down. Paired with the excellent vintage razor, I had a very enjoyable, easy, smooth, and efficient 3pass shave without any issues for a surprisingly bbs finish. The matching aftershave was just great!!
20220522_110456.jpg

Mysteree-X shave May 21

Razor: Gillette Old Type w/Tech handle
Blade: Personna X-series (Third blade, second use)
Aftershave: Barrister and Mann Bay Rum

Had a busy morning so I couldn’t shave until 2 p.m. I decided to not shave as close, but I failed. Got a surprisingly close and lasting shave with no irritation and not much fuss.

I shave every other day, so there’s always a lot to shave but more importantly, my skin can recover and all the hairs can emerge from their bumps before I shave the bumps off. Either way, I think won’t complain about a great shave.

IMG_0224_1200x881.jpg

Twenty-sixth shave with the Personna X-Series (Platinum Coated) blade #1

Razor
Brush: Simpson Special S1 (18mm Best Badger)
Soap: RazoRock Santa Maria del Fiore

Another fine shave, but effort is increasing again.

Today's outing was similar to yesterday's; all three of my usual passes were smooth and comfortable and there was no post-shave irritation.

However, the effort needed to get the closeness that I prefer was significantly higher. I spent at least twice as much time buffing compared to yesterday. I debated quitting before reaching a BBS, but kept going to see how long it took.

In the end, I achieved a BBS and my face was none the worse for wear. Still, I can't expect to buff this vigorously every day and not end up with sensitive skin, eventually.

Otherwise, it was a lovely shave. :thumbup1:

Mysteerree Shave Personna 'X' Series No.15

Razor: Otto Roth New Long Comb
Brush: English 'New Forest' Badger
Soap: Arko! Shave Stick
A/S Balm: 'Boots' Freshwood
IMG_20220502_204006568.jpg

I used the Otto Roth today, because I am becoming increasingly fond of it, as I am to open combs in general. I hadn't shaved since Friday so something for it to do.

I had an unhurried 3 passer, and began to use skin stretching on certain areas, a technique I have been neglecting in DE shaves, although I use it more with my SE vintage 1912.

I wanted to achieve a very close shave, as there has been some interesting discussion on the forum as to how long a so called 'BB' result can last. I finished the shave at 9.20pm, so I will time it.

The blade pairs ideally with an efficient razor at this stage in it's life in my experience. These Personna's are as predictable as the seasons in their behaviour.

Now, some 2 hours after the shave, full stubble retraction has kicked in and I can report what I would judge to be a 'BB' standard result. Now I will time its longevity, just for science :letterk1:

If these X blades were still made, I would happily regularly use them in my blade lineup. They just work perfectly with my skin and growth, and the smoothness and predictability of performance I find reassuring.

Mon 23 OTR Mysteree-X Blade#1 Shave#15th
Soap
Yaqi Lemon Lime Cedarwood
Brush Yaqi 24mm Green Mink
Razor RazoRock GC.84-P
Blade Persona X Series 15th Use
Aftershave Yaqi Lemon Lime Cedarwood Splash
Nicely refreshing & cooling soap. The lather is rich, creamy, and slick too...
The blade continues to amaze. Paired with the razor gives a very smooth and comfortable 3passes without any issues for a dfs finish. The matching aftershave was nice toooo...
20220523_100927.jpg

Mystery Blade (GSB) edge 2 shaves 1&2, Gillette W2 (1976) tech, Wliklinson Sword bowl soap & Frank Shaving 20mm best badger (1), Cella original & Omega S-brush knot in homemade handle (2).

I'm not sure if it was jetlag, but I forgot to post Saturday's shave. So here's two.

I could say the same for each, a lovely smooth & efficient shave. No irritation, and long-lasting.

Goodness, shaving can be boring sometimes 🤣🤣🤣

IMG_0225_1200x900.jpg

Twenty-seventh shave with the Personna X-Series (Platinum Coated) blade #1

Razor
Brush: Yaqi Moka Express (26mm Two-Band Badger)
Soap: Vitos Classic Eucalyptus and Lanolin

An excellent performance by the X-Series blade.

Today's shave went like clockwork as all of my passes were quick and trouble-free. Buffing was also restricted to just a few strokes, so I didn't have to expend as much energy as yesterday's outing to achieve my customary BBS.

@Alum Ladd noted that the X-Series is a good match for his shaving style. I'm finding this to be the case, as well. I was fairly sure that I wouldn't buy this blade, even if it offered a first-class performance. However, now, I'd give the X-Series plenty of consideration if I ever needed to replenish my blade supply. :thumbup1:

Top Bottom