What's new

GIVEAWAY! Participation PIF - A Tale Of Two Bridges

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member

IMG_1015.jpeg

Participation PIF: A Tale Of Two Bridges.​

Week four and shave number seven on my second go with the Chinese London Bridge Super Stainless blade. I am very happy that this week is over. Today my shave was poor. I still have some red marks on my face from this morning. I had a lot of sting when I applied my Alum Block and even though a used a really good balm that works for me my face felt raw all day. I must admit this time around I am not happy with this blade although I was happy after my first use. It will be interesting to see how my last use of this blade will be in a few weeks time.

English London Bridge edge 3 shave 1

Rapira Tech; Cella red; DS Cosmetics 24mm synth

There are two varieties of the Rapira Tech, one which is aggressive, and this one which is merely assertive. I remembered this one as being similar to the R89, but I mis-remembered.

There was significantly more blade feel than in previous rounds, and while there was no post-shave irritation, it was an unpleasant enough experience that I'll be swapping razors for the next shave.

I've no complaints about the quality of the shave, I just didn't enjoy getting it.

Today's shave of the day: Day 4 with the Light Brigade

IMG_5568.jpeg

Pre-Shave
BigAlVista's Shave Butter, PAA cube and Grooming Dept. Mojito Preshave
Soap/Cream
Tabac
Brush
ShaveMac 2-band
Scuttle
Pereira
Razor
Timeless TI .95
Blade
Wilkinson Sword Light Brigade (4)
1st Pass Effectiveness
CCS
2nd Pass Effectiveness
DFS
Final Effectiveness
BBS
Quality
Some redness...my fault
Comfort
Comfortable
Post Shave Irritation
Too much. Over buffed, again
Overall Efficiency
Good
Razer, Blade and Cream Observations
Great blade for the Timeless .95. First time using Tabac. It provided good cushion and lubricated well, but the smell was...like generic hand soap from the dollar store.
Consistency with prior shave - Same setup
Similar to prior shave, but the blade is turning the corner. One more shave and I think it's probably done
Post Shave.
Thayers, AofS Bourbon balm
Cologne/Fragrance
SV 70th
Overall Shave Experience
Very good shave, but my neck is a bit "rare".
Comments

Blade: London Bridge UK)
Razor: V3A Remington "cartridge" razor
Mug: Green Rubber Marvy
Soap: Vintage Williams (AKA "Old Willie")
Brush: Semogue SOC Boar
Post-shave: Thayers Toner WH, Nivea Men Sensitive PSB

LBUK just keeps on going. DFS + with no drama.

IMG_4483.jpeg

Blackland Era 3SB
Chinese London Bridge (1)
AP Shave 24mm G5C rocket engine
AoS eucalyptus cream & balm

I need to quit trying new blades in the Era, I just don't know this razor as well as some others I have. I went with the 3SB since it's the milder of the 2 options I have, but still managed a half-dozen weepers in random spots. DFS+ result, which is certainly good enough but nothing to write home about.

The blade seems sharp enough for me, I blame my technique and unfamiliarity with the Era for the mediocre results. Back to a more familiar razor tomorrow.

Wilkinson Light Brigade Chromium #1, shave #1

Razor: Henson AL13+
Blade: Wilkinson Light Brigade Chromium (1)
Soap: Pre de Provence No. 63
Brush: No-name badger off of Amazon
Aftershave: Old Spice followed by Nivea Sensitive balm

I've been slow getting through this challenge because of some travel and I don't carry challenge blades when I travel because I don't want to place them in and out of a wrapper and potentially dull a blade and not give it a fair shake. So...I'm just now getting to the Light Brigade, and...GREAT shave today with this blade! Sharp and smooth! Very pleased with this first shave. We'll see how long it lasts, but if the remaining shaves are similar, I know that I'll be very happy with it!

Shave updates:
Light Brigade

This blade was as sharp as my high expectations and possibly, but not certainly, as sharp. The longevity was pretty good too, at five shaves. I kept it in the 3D tech for consistency but would probably try another razor (or just another 3D plate) to see how it handles.
IMG_1373.jpeg

Shave 5? Wilkinson Sword London
Again head and face w the RR Lupo DC
Soap SV
AS Proraso red
Balm TJ's

I loaded the soap using my typical Sagrada Fam....but this time I then lathered using a "Subirachi", I ended up w enough soap for 3 passes head and face and then what was left/wasted, enough for 3 more..... (I never bowl lather unless I use a mix of creams).

Shave was good, smooth, close no drama. A little dot bled but this time stoped quickly.

All good, some residual irritation but nothing bad.

I may just split this blade and use it in a Leaf/Thorn

this blade may be a tad better than the Chinese I used first?.......unfortunately the London Bridge, London I used was rough, I haven't had the will to suffer experimenting a 2nd time.....

Razor- Pearl Hammer
Blade- Light Brigade blade 2 shave 1
Soap- Royal Shave
Brush- Simpson Trafalgar T3
Aftershave- Avon Wild Country
Shave was a little rough. Blade was tugging, couple weepers and good amount of irritation. Lots of sting from the aftershave.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member

IMG_1031.jpeg

Participation PIF: A Tale Of Two Bridges.​

Week five and first shave with my second go around with the Vintage English London Bridge Super Stainless blade. This morning’s shave was much the same as my first attempt with this blade. The shave was okay, I did have a little sting when I applied my Alum Block but I didn’t have the redness that I had yesterday. Hopefully this blade will improve like the last one did as the week went on.

Wilkinson Sword Light Brigade Blade #1 Shave #12

Ouch! She's done :)

Edit: To add clarification I tried to shave with very little prep Saturday, and with a tired blade it bit me. My lower neck was covered in small weepers. I knew better, and I blame the operator and not the equipment.

Last edited:
Today's shave of the day: The 5th and final shave with the Light Brigade

IMG_5573.jpeg

Pre-Shave
BigAlVista's Shave Butter, PAA cube and Grooming Dept. Mojito Preshave
Soap/Cream
Mitchell's Woolfat
Brush
Simpsons Polo14 Manchurian
Scuttle
Pereira
Razor
Timeless TI .95
Blade
Wilkinson Sword Light Brigade (5)
1st Pass Effectiveness
CCS
2nd Pass Effectiveness
BBS-
Final Effectiveness
Minimal buffing, so BBS-
Quality
Redness and a weeper. Need to take a day off shaving tomorrow.
Comfort
Between Tuggy and Comfortable
Post Shave Irritation
Too much. Skin is a bit bumpy.
Overall Efficiency
Good
Razer, Blade and Cream Observations
Great blade for the Timeless .95, though the blade was rough today. Really love Mitchell's Woolfat. Lots of cushion, foams easily and is slippery.
Consistency with prior shave - Same setup
Rougher than prior shave, Binning the blade.
Post Shave.
Thayers, AofS Bourbon balm
Cologne/Fragrance
Burberry Brit
Overall Shave Experience
Good shave, but the blade is done
Comments
Really enjoyed trying these six blades. Thanks to @Grundi and @AnimalCatcher for doing this!

IMG_4483.jpeg

Henson AL13++
Chinese London Bridge (2)
AP Shave 24mm G5C rocket engine
Southern Witchcrafts Fougère Nemeta soap
Stirling unscented glacial balm

This will probably come as a surprise to most people, but I got a better shave with this blade in my most familiar razor, compared to yesterday’s shave in a razor I’ve only used once in the last 14 months (last week, and with a different plate at that).

I still don’t think it’s an exceptional blade, but I don’t think it’s bad either. It’s ok. Medium sharpness. It did just fine on the first pass, but really showed its mediumness as it struggled on pass 2 ATG in my mustache and especially my goatee area.

2 little mustache weepers, strong alum sting, but pretty good post-shave feel. Results still in the DFS+ range, but a little closer than yesterday. I’ll give the blade at least 1 more shave. :thumbup1:

Top Bottom