What's new

GIVEAWAY! Participation PIF - A Tale Of Two Bridges

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member

IMG_0968.jpeg

Participation PIF: A Tale Of Two Bridges.​

Week four and shave number four on my second use of the Chinese London Bridge Super Stainless blade. No blood today but I did have some redness again on my cheeks and my chin. I had plenty of sting when I applied my Alum Block. I am not sure of my angle is off the last couple of days but I am struggling somewhat this time with this blade. This is the razor that I normally use for these challenges and the first time around I used my NDC Gold Ball End Tech. Maybe I should switch back to it.

I was out of town all last week, now I'm playing catch-up.

My third use of the English London Bridge was mixed. I face lathered Arko soap after a shower. The blade edge must have oxidized since the last shave. The first few strokes on both edges were tuggy, but it smoothed out. The blade mowed down several days worth of stubble no problem, but I had spots that just wouldn't get close. Well, not without pushing too aggressively.

I had no irritation, but I wasn't getting close below my jawline with my normal shave pattern.

Afterwards, I dug some Barbasol Pacific Rush AS out of the closet. Whoa between the menthol and alcohol!

Blade: London Bridge UK)
Razor: V3A Remington "cartridge" razor
Mug: Green Rubber Marvy
Soap: Vintage Williams (AKA "Old Willie")
Brush: Rubberset 400-3 Boar
Post-shave: Thayers Toner WH, Nivea Men Sensitive PSB

The Remington in question was a handle PIF'd to me by @Ricksplace back in 2018. The V3A wasn't quite as smooth as I remember it but still pretty good.

Today's result: DFS with no drama.

fleur4apr24.jpg

Wilkinson Sword Light Brigade Blade #1 Shave #11

Fat Handle Tech
Wilkinson Sword Light Brigade (11)
Simpson Trafalgar T3
Seaforth Fleur de France
Thayers Rose Petal Facial Mist
Brut Oceans AS

I took a few days off from the Wilkinson's to recalibrate my brain. I was initially going to retire this blade after ten shaves but I wanted to test it after using a different brand yesterday. Today's shave was lovely. I'll keep pushing forward with this blade until it tells me to stop.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member

IMG_0985.jpeg

Participation PIF: A Tale Of Two Bridges.​

Week four and shave number five on my second go around with the Chinese London Bridge Super Stainless blade. Much better today, I used Nivea Sensitive Shaving Cream and this may have helped me out. Very little redness today, no blood and less sting than yesterday when I applied my Alum Block. Two shaves to go on this blade and I may finish this blade off using shaving creams instead of shaving soaps.

Chinese London Bridge Edge 2

Shave 3: R89; Arko stick; Frank Shaving 20mm best badger

Shave 4: R89; Captain's Choice lime cream; Omega S-brush knot in home-made handle; Captain's Choice bowl

Another couple of very comfortable, close shaves. The irritation that I was expecting finally arrived sometime after the fourth shave, but was so fleeting that now I'm not sure I didn't imagine it. Nevertheless, I'm going to retire the blade at this point ready for the next stage of the challenge.

I'm not sure what to do about the razor. Both bridges have seemed completely at home in the R89, but part of the fun with these challenges is trying some crazy new combinations. I'll have a think between now and my next shave...

IMG_4483.jpeg

Tatara Masamune CC
vintage English London Bridge (4)
AP Shave 24mm G5C rocket engine
Proraso green soap
AoS eucalyptus balm

Went back to a milder and more familiar razor today with the Tatara Masamune. Still a little rough going under the chin, but much better. Much less red stuff - noticed a little bit in the lather on the razor while shaving my neck, but I didn't even see where it came from, plus a tiny pinprick on my mustache; both amounted to nothing. Less alum feedback and less skin tightness than Wednesday, but still a little tightness under my chin. Closer shave too, even though I wasn't really trying to.

I haven't binned the blade, but may move on to the Chinese London Bridge this weekend. I definitely prefer the Light Brigade so far, though it's possible that's more a function of the razors I chose than the blades themselves.

Blade: Light Brigade (UK)
Razor: Winning V2
Brush: Semogue SOC Boar
Post-shave: Thayers Toner WH, Nivea Men Sensitive PSB

Well, today was an experience. I've caught a cold and was shaving between coughs. Recipe for a blood letting, right? No such thing. The Winning has earned a spot in my top tier for razors and this Light Brigade blade is one of my all time favorites. The only blade that could beat it is the "Old Friend" Schick blade that was in one of these participation PIFs a couple of years ago. Everything went smooth as silk from star to finish. At this time, nine hours after the shave, my neck is still on the borderline between DFS and BBS.

Today's result: BBS with no drama. Enough said.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member

IMG_1001.jpeg
Participation PIF: A TaLe Of Two Bridges.​

Week four and shave number six on my second dance with the Chinese London Bridge Super Stainless blade. This morning’s shave was okay. No blood and a bit of sting when I applied my Alum Block. I did have a little redness as well. I think for some strange reason finishing the week off with shaving creams seems to be helping me with this blade. Weird I know but it does seem to help. One shave to go with this blade and then onto my second dig with the Vintage London Bridge Super Stainless.

Participation PIF: A Tale Of Two Bridges: Day 3 with the Light Brigade

IMG_5556.jpeg

Pre-Shave
BigAlVista's Shave Butter, PAA cube and Grooming Dept. Mojito Preshave
Soap/Cream
PdP 63
Brush
Sawdust Creations 2-band
Scuttle
Pereira
Razor
Timeless TI .95
Blade
Wilkinson Sword Light Brigade (3)
1st Pass Effectiveness
DFS
2nd Pass Effectiveness
BBS-
Final Effectiveness
BBS+
Quality
Clean
Comfort
Smooth
Post Shave Irritation
Too much. I over buffed.
Overall Efficiency
Excellent
Razer, Blade and Cream Observations
Great blade for the Timeless.95. The PdP scent was very close to the SV Felce, but the lather quality of the SV soap is better (slicker and more cushion)
Consistency with prior shave - Same setup
Very consistent almost identical to prior shave
Post Shave.
Thayers, AofS Bourbon balm
Cologne/Fragrance
Channel Allure
Overall Shave Experience
Another great shave with the Light Brigade
Comments

UK London Bridge Blade Two, Shave #7 (and done)

Razor:
Wolfman WR1
Brush: Simpsons chubby 1 best badger
Soap: Fine lavender pour homme
Splash: Fine lavender pour homme

Comment: Nice shave today (9/10) but time to change out this very fine blade after a GREAT RUN!!

:a29::a29:

Blade: London Bridge (CH), blade #2 (the UK blades are still going strong)
Razor: ATT Stainless Windsor Pro SB90
Brush: Rubberset 400-3 Boar
Post-shave: Thayers Toner WH, Stirling PSB

Today was the first shave on the new blade and went very well. Call it a BBS- as I couldn't feel any actual stubble, but my fingertips did register a faint difference in texture ATG. Similar to a silicone baking sheet.

Today's result: BBS- with no drama.

Head Shave #11

Blade: Light Brigade (3)
Razor: Henson mild
Soap: Henri et Victoria Unscented
Brush: Semogue HD finest badger

Holy moly what a great shave!!! This was a quick afternoon shave with no pre shave prep or anything, just lather up the coconut and go. I had forgotten how great the Henson is for head shaves, and even with 6 days growth there wasn’t a hint of clogging.

This blade is one of the best I’ve ever used and shows no sign of slowing down.
10/10
IMG_3736.jpeg

Top Bottom