Weights today: lower body and core focus
Thanks for the post. I'll be looking into the things you do. I need some research.When I had a bad run-in with shoulder impingement a few years ago I took up modern calisthenics, phasing out much of my traditional upper body weights workouts. Here's the gym routine I did today:
- Warmup (mainly thoracic spine mobilization, scap pullups and a set of 5 high pullups)
- 3 x human flag holds each side on wall bars. I'd like to claim I held them for 5 secs each but I count really fast when the pressure is on.
- One slow bar muscle-up followed immediately by 3 repeated transitions, routine repeated 6 times
- Pullup pyramid from the legendary Armstrong Pullup Program. Bailed during the 12th round but that gave me a total of more than 80 pullups this session, which is what I aim for on reps days
- 3 x front lever holds
- 4 sets of single arm landmine presses each side
- 4 sets of double handed landmine rows
- Cooldown including stretches, lightly weighted external rotations and eccentric calf raises (shoulder and Achilles tendon protection)
The best thing about this? I can pretty much guarantee that none of the 20 and 30 somethings alongside me in the gym (including the PTs) can do muscle-ups, flags or front-levers, and wouldn't have much chance of doing a set of 20 good form full range pullups if their lives depended on it.
That said, most of them can focus on objects less than 2 feet away without reading glasses and don't find themselves coming out with the same stuff they heard their grandparents saying some forty-odd years ago:
"The world's going nuts"
"You wouldn't get away with saying that nowadays"
"I don't what that's meant to be, but it's not music"
If you could use some links to get started, please just ask away.Thanks for the post. I'll be looking into the things you do. I need some research.
As an aside, I find myself using my "transition" lenses less than just holding the book closer!
Amen on the need for longer arms, and thanks for the kindness.If you could use some links to get started, please just ask away.
I was tempted by the idea of transition lenses but like you I don't think I'd get proper use out of them. As I'm fond of saying "there's nothing wrong with my eyesight, I just need longer arms".