What's new

Old Fogies Club: What was your workout today?

Intrigued

Bigfoot & Bagel aficionado.
16,000+ steps................
proxy.php

115,000+ steps (50 miles) for the week.

Intrigued

Various stretches worked in with 3 cycle of 12 reps of various exercises; e.g., crunches, pushups, planks.
proxy.php

17,000+ steps................
proxy.php

Moving stuff around in the basement to clear a space in preparation for the installation of a geothermal heating system.
Items moved include a bunch of barbell weight disks and a blacksmith's anvil.

Intrigued

3 cycles of 12 reps of various exercises; e.g., squats, light weight work.
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

proxy.php

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I rode the lawn mower. Survived it. Hopefully I'll get the rest done after I see the chiropractor in a few minutes.

When I had a bad run-in with shoulder impingement a few years ago I took up modern calisthenics, phasing out much of my traditional upper body weights workouts. Here's the gym routine I did today:

- Warmup (mainly thoracic spine mobilization, scap pullups and a set of 5 high pullups)
- 3 x human flag holds each side on wall bars. I'd like to claim I held them for 5 secs each but I count really fast when the pressure is on.
- One slow bar muscle-up followed immediately by 3 repeated transitions, routine repeated 6 times
- Pullup pyramid from the legendary Armstrong Pullup Program. Bailed during the 12th round but that gave me a total of more than 80 pullups this session, which is what I aim for on reps days
- 3 x front lever holds
- 4 sets of single arm landmine presses each side
- 4 sets of double handed landmine rows
- Cooldown including stretches, lightly weighted external rotations and eccentric calf raises (shoulder and Achilles tendon protection)

The best thing about this? I can pretty much guarantee that none of the 20 and 30 somethings alongside me in the gym (including the PTs) can do muscle-ups, flags or front-levers, and wouldn't have much chance of doing a set of 20 good form full range pullups if their lives depended on it.

That said, most of them can focus on objects less than 2 feet away without reading glasses and don't find themselves coming out with the same stuff they heard their grandparents saying some forty-odd years ago:

"The world's going nuts"
"You wouldn't get away with saying that nowadays"
"I don't what that's meant to be, but it's not music"

:)

FarmerTan

When I had a bad run-in with shoulder impingement a few years ago I took up modern calisthenics, phasing out much of my traditional upper body weights workouts. Here's the gym routine I did today:

- Warmup (mainly thoracic spine mobilization, scap pullups and a set of 5 high pullups)
- 3 x human flag holds each side on wall bars. I'd like to claim I held them for 5 secs each but I count really fast when the pressure is on.
- One slow bar muscle-up followed immediately by 3 repeated transitions, routine repeated 6 times
- Pullup pyramid from the legendary Armstrong Pullup Program. Bailed during the 12th round but that gave me a total of more than 80 pullups this session, which is what I aim for on reps days
- 3 x front lever holds
- 4 sets of single arm landmine presses each side
- 4 sets of double handed landmine rows
- Cooldown including stretches, lightly weighted external rotations and eccentric calf raises (shoulder and Achilles tendon protection)

The best thing about this? I can pretty much guarantee that none of the 20 and 30 somethings alongside me in the gym (including the PTs) can do muscle-ups, flags or front-levers, and wouldn't have much chance of doing a set of 20 good form full range pullups if their lives depended on it.

That said, most of them can focus on objects less than 2 feet away without reading glasses and don't find themselves coming out with the same stuff they heard their grandparents saying some forty-odd years ago:

"The world's going nuts"
"You wouldn't get away with saying that nowadays"
"I don't what that's meant to be, but it's not music"

:)
Thanks for the post. I'll be looking into the things you do. I need some research.

As an aside, I find myself using my "transition" lenses less than just holding the book closer!

Thanks for the post. I'll be looking into the things you do. I need some research.

As an aside, I find myself using my "transition" lenses less than just holding the book closer!

If you could use some links to get started, please just ask away.

I was tempted by the idea of transition lenses but like you I don't think I'd get proper use out of them. As I'm fond of saying "there's nothing wrong with my eyesight, I just need longer arms".

FarmerTan

If you could use some links to get started, please just ask away.

I was tempted by the idea of transition lenses but like you I don't think I'd get proper use out of them. As I'm fond of saying "there's nothing wrong with my eyesight, I just need longer arms".
Amen on the need for longer arms, and thanks for the kindness.

Intrigued

Various stretches worked in with 3 cycle of 12 reps of various exercises; e.g., crunches, pushups, planks.
proxy.php

proxy.php

Intrigued

3 cycles of 12 reps of various exercises; e.g., squats, light weight work.
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

proxy.php

Just a run on the beach with my two Beagles today. If the word "beach" summons up images of sun and long stretches of golden sand, think again, because I'm on the west coast of Scotland: strong wind, near-horizontal rain and a ton of debris (seaweed, tree limbs, plastic containers, rope and dead jellyfish) littering the sand.

Still the dogs loved it and I notched up 7km which is the upper end of my comfort zone.

Intrigued

proxy.php

proxy.php

Top Bottom