What's new

Old but new guy looking for WTB recommendation

Hey guys, so I've been around for awhile and used to lurk here pretty heavy. I posted an intro in the newbie check in sub and some cool guys over here pointed me this way.

I have a tendency to ramble on so to keep the post short, I was looking for some recommendations on makes/models for an equipment list to grab over the next couple weeks to finally jump in on wetshaving.

I'm looking at getting a 3/8 straight razor, good soap/lather, and I guess a strop. Just looking for any feedback on whether or not that looks like a good starter list or if there's anything else I'd need. Probably a brush too, I'd love authentic badger but depending on budget I might sacrifice for synthetic there so I can afford a little more on the actual razor front.

I'm a really detail oriented guy and was honestly hoping someone could just give me a "buy this this and this" type list, otherwise I'll spend another couple years endlessly researching and never biting the bullet 😅

I actually hit the BST sub forum first, hoping to find like a "starter kit" of some good second hand razors or something, but i think there were some new rules implemented and I'm not allowed to post there yet (10yr old account but no recent activity, personal life pushed this interest by the wayside unfortunately)

Looking forward to getting to know everybody, learning, and getting some good discourse started in this thread, hit me with any suggestions or specific recommendations you guys have, and thanks for taking the time to read.

Hey guys, so I've been around for awhile and used to lurk here pretty heavy. I posted an intro in the newbie check in sub and some cool guys over here pointed me this way.

I have a tendency to ramble on so to keep the post short, I was looking for some recommendations on makes/models for an equipment list to grab over the next couple weeks to finally jump in on wetshaving.

I'm looking at getting a 3/8 straight razor, good soap/lather, and I guess a strop. Just looking for any feedback on whether or not that looks like a good starter list or if there's anything else I'd need. Probably a brush too, I'd love authentic badger but depending on budget I might sacrifice for synthetic there so I can afford a little more on the actual razor front.

I'm a really detail oriented guy and was honestly hoping someone could just give me a "buy this this and this" type list, otherwise I'll spend another couple years endlessly researching and never biting the bullet 😅

I actually hit the BST sub forum first, hoping to find like a "starter kit" of some good second hand razors or something, but i think there were some new rules implemented and I'm not allowed to post there yet (10yr old account but no recent activity, personal life pushed this interest by the wayside unfortunately)

Looking forward to getting to know everybody, learning, and getting some good discourse started in this thread, hit me with any suggestions or specific recommendations you guys have, and thanks for taking the time to read.

Welcome 🙂

Yes, there is a 45-day, 50-post requirement before you can post to the BST forum. You've met the 45 day requirement (long ago) but need to get to 50 posts before you can create a thread in the BST forum.

You can still browse the forum and send PMs to the sellers after you meet a 10-post (?) requirement.

I don't have a lot of experience with SR shaving so I won't recommend a razor, but I have been wet shaving with DE, SE, and shavette razors for a bit over a year.

If you want to stretch your budget and focus your funds on your razor, you can easily get by with a synthetic brush. I have several Razorock synthetics, two under 10 bucks (on sale), that work wonderfully.

As far as soaps, there are many that can be had for under $10. I have used Speick and LaToja sticks, Arko, and Razorock, which have all gotten the job done. Razorock soaps are one of my favorites.

If you want a tallow soap, Stirling offers a lot of different scents and is a good performer. A tub will set you back around 15 dollars. Stirling is another of my favorite soaps under 20 dollars.

I'll let the experts recommend razors, but good luck with your search.

Edit to add:

Being newish to SR shaving, the one piece of advice I will offer regarding your razor - buy it from a reputable source so you will be starting with a true shave-ready razor, which eliminates any question about the tool and allows you to focus on your shaving technique.

The folks here have helped my a lot, and will be able to put you on the path to success

Last edited:
Welcome 🙂

Yes, there is a 45-day, 50-post requirement before you can post to the BST forum. You've met the 45 day requirement (long ago) but need to get to 50 posts before you can create a thread in the BST forum.

You can still browse the forum and send PMs to the sellers after you meet a 10-post (?) requirement.

I don't have a lot of experience with SR shaving so I won't recommend a razor, but I have been wet shaving with DE, SE, and shavette razors for a bit over a year.

If you want to stretch your budget and focus your funds on your razor, you can easily get by with a synthetic brush. I have several Razorock synthetics, two under 10 bucks (on sale), that work wonderfully.

As far as soaps, there are many that can be had for under $10. I have used Speick and LaToja sticks, Arko, and Razorock, which have all gotten the job done. Razorock soaps are one of my favorites.

If you want a tallow soap, Stirling offers a lot of different scents and is a good performer. A tub will set you back around 15 dollars. Stirling is another of my favorite soaps under 20 dollars.

Edit to add:

Being newish to SR shaving, the one piece of advice I will offer regarding your razor - buy it from a reputable source so you will be starting with a true shave-ready razor, which eliminates any question about the tool and allows you to focus on your shaving technique.

The folks here have helped my a lot, and will be able to put you on the path to success
Thanks alot for the thorough reply brother ❤️ what is the difference between a tallow vs normal soap?

I'm going to try to grab the soaps, dish, and brush you recommended and that way I just have SR and strop to knock off the list 💪 this is a great starting point man I appreciate it.

Hard agree with the shave-ready SR, hoping someone experienced on here has a shave-ready they're ready to sell or something that way I don't have to mess with getting something less than quality

Starter kit?

I think @rbscebu would enjoy providing you with a starter kit.

Thanks alot for the thorough reply brother ❤️ what is the difference between a tallow vs normal soap?

I'm going to try to grab the soaps, dish, and brush you recommended and that way I just have SR and strop to knock off the list 💪 this is a great starting point man I appreciate it.

Hard agree with the shave-ready SR, hoping someone experienced on here has a shave-ready they're ready to sell or something that way I don't have to mess with getting something less than quality

Tallow is animal fat. Soaps with tallow will contain beef tallow or sheep tallow. Stirling used to sell both but may have eliminated sheep tallow. With tallow you *might* detect a faint underlying scent, but I cannot.

The non-tallow soaps contain plant-based ingredients and, for me, work just as well. This is certainly a "YMMV" thing, a personal preference. Some choose non-tallow soap as a vegan option, as with synthetic brushes, to reduce harm to animals.

Again, personal choice/preference, and either work well for me.

Welcome 🙂

Edit to add:

As far as experts recommendations go,
I think there's a thousand guys here
who can each recommend a different razor,
with all of them knowing what they're talking about
and each being completely sincere.

Do you really mean a 3/8 razor? If do, I would discourage you from that. I'm a fan of less-tall razors myself, but...

7/8 and above are a bit of a chore for me. I like to use them, occasionally.

6/8 is fine for me

5/8 is just about perfect for me, the mainstream razor for my preferences

4/8 is like a sports car. Love 'em. Requires careful handling when shaving. Requires care on the strop and the stone to keep it flat. REALLY easy to ruin the edge by flipping it over on the stone, and even easier to round the edge on the strop because of the reduced feedback about when the razor is flat.

3/8 is at the very outer limits of what is feasible to hone, strop, and shave with. I only have one, a Heljestrand MK 29, and it's a tiny bit taller than 3/8. I bought it because I wanted to find the lower limit, and I found it -- for me, it's 4/8. I don't expect to buy another.

As far as experts recommendations go,
I think there's a thousand guys here
who can each recommend a different razor,
with all of them knowing what they're talking about
and each being completely sincere.

Oh, I certainly get it, but I'm thinking there are many who are more informed than me, even if it's general information (like the post directly above this one) rather than specific brands or models.

And a where you are, and able/willing to buy from would help.

I’ll second the “start with a 5/8” to figure out how to do it. 4/8 are also finicky and demand good technique. Once you’re dialed in you can play with different sizes/grinds, but I think you’d be best served learning with a 5/8 1/2 to full hollow (the most commonly found, and likely most inexpensively usable vintage or new razors).

Would it be possible to post a budget for the items you're looking for? That would help everyone in making recommendations.
And a where you are, and able/willing to buy from would help.

Good call guys I didn't even think to include these.

Budget: I think I could comfortably stretch to 150 range for the razor itself, not knowing how wide prices span

Looking for: shave ready SR, 5/8 half or full hollow as per @KW Driver 's recommendations that maybe my original size isn't the best to start with as a complete beginner. I want something nice but not like...crazy nice. Not for my first one, something that's got a little class but isn't some heavenly wrought tool, as it'll be in my less-than-capable hands for awhile as I get used to it.

Location: I'm in Kingston, PA, the far northeast of the state, and because of that would probably do shipping. I'm willing to buy from anywhere reputable, but would prefer someone in the community if possible due to the fact that I'd be more likely to get something shave ready and from a knowledgeable/reputable source

Do you really mean a 3/8 razor? If do, I would discourage you from that. I'm a fan of less-tall razors myself, but...

7/8 and above are a bit of a chore for me. I like to use them, occasionally.

6/8 is fine for me

5/8 is just about perfect for me, the mainstream razor for my preferences

4/8 is like a sports car. Love 'em. Requires careful handling when shaving. Requires care on the strop and the stone to keep it flat. REALLY easy to ruin the edge by flipping it over on the stone, and even easier to round the edge on the strop because of the reduced feedback about when the razor is flat.

3/8 is at the very outer limits of what is feasible to hone, strop, and shave with. I only have one, a Heljestrand MK 29, and it's a tiny bit taller than 3/8. I bought it because I wanted to find the lower limit, and I found it -- for me, it's 4/8. I don't expect to buy another.
Thank you for an awesome crash course on size differences that I didn't know I needed until I read this lol 💪

Good call guys I didn't even think to include these.

Budget: I think I could comfortably stretch to 150 range for the razor itself, not knowing how wide prices span

Looking for: shave ready SR, 5/8 half or full hollow as per @KW Driver 's recommendations that maybe my original size isn't the best to start with as a complete beginner. I want something nice but not like...crazy nice. Not for my first one, something that's got a little class but isn't some heavenly wrought tool, as it'll be in my less-than-capable hands for awhile as I get used to it.

Location: I'm in Kingston, PA, the far northeast of the state, and because of that would probably do shipping. I'm willing to buy from anywhere reputable, but would prefer someone in the community if possible due to the fact that I'd be more likely to get something shave ready and from a knowledgeable/reputable source

I bought a very nice vintage shave ready razor from Matt at Griffith Shaving. I'm sure you could easily find something you like in 5/8 or 6/8 for under $150.

You may be able to get something for less from the membership here, but if you do buy outside of here, Griffith has both restored vintage, NOS vintage, and new razors, and Matt put a very good edge on the razor I purchased.

and you can get Griffin to hone it. when you get it and are ready to shave with it, don't strop it just use it. strop it about 10 passes after you're done shaving and it's clean and dried off. he'll give you a shave ready edge. I've bought a couple off him and he's a great vendor.

next question, are you currently wet shaving at all now? if not, maybe get some soap/creme, maybe a brush, and learn to lather with whatever you shave with now. once you're happy with that, then go to a straight. if you're using carts now, using a DE/SE won't help terribly much transitioning to straights. but all the prep, lathering? those will.

as mentioned above, Sterling makes a high quality, not expensive soap. I'd suggest buying samples to figure out if you like the scent while getting a good sized sample. I find his scents to be strong and many off putting, but that's me. his unscented mutton tallow soap is fantastic, with some scented versions as well. his beef tallow bases are just fine too from a performance standpoint.

once you get a good lather with whatever you shave with, most of us prefer a wetter version of that for straights.

5/8,11/16,6/8 are pretty standardly comfortable for everyone, and all are perfect for a starter razor. Also, I personally don't recommend a wedge for a starter because the angle of use is a little different - otherwise choose what you think is pretty and in that size range, and doesn't have too pointy a point. Here's my personal recommendation for you from what you have said so far if you want to think less and just jump in: Carl Schlieper No. 999 - 11/16 Near Mint Full Hollow - Vintage Solingen Straight Razor - Shave Ready - https://www.griffithshavinggoods.com/products/carl-schlieper-no-999-11-16-near-mint-full-hollow-vintage-solingen-straight-razor-shave-ready

- Griffith shaving goods has zero bad reviews here , and many good reviews

- They have a good selection in your price range

- Purchasing from Griffith can circumvent your deeply analytical should I/shouldn't I indecisive nature: it will be a quality razor, with a good edge, basically guaranteed

- Griffith vintage restorations are beautiful, and will definitely meet your ask for something that looks nice

- Don't get caught up in "should I buy new or vintage?" This is a common trap for newer straight razor folks - buy vintage because the quality at least equals new if not improves on it, and the price for that quality is far better for entry to get past the indecision of higher expenses

Last edited:
Tha

5/8,11/16,6/8 are pretty standardly comfortable for everyone, and all are perfect for a starter razor. Also, I personally don't recommend a wedge for a starter because the angle of use is a little different - otherwise choose what you think is pretty and in that size range, and doesn't have too pointy a point. Here's my personal recommendation for you from what you have said so far if you want to think less and just jump in: Carl Schlieper No. 999 - 11/16 Near Mint Full Hollow - Vintage Solingen Straight Razor - Shave Ready - https://www.griffithshavinggoods.com/products/carl-schlieper-no-999-11-16-near-mint-full-hollow-vintage-solingen-straight-razor-shave-ready

- Griffith shaving goods has zero bad reviews here , and many good reviews

- They have a good selection in your price range

- Purchasing from Griffith can circumvent your deeply analytical should I/shouldn't I indecisive nature: it will be a quality razor, with a good edge, basically guaranteed

- Griffith vintage restorations are beautiful, and will definitely meet your ask for something that looks nice

- Don't get caught up in "should I buy new or vintage?" This is a common trap for newer straight razor folks - buy vintage because the quality at least equals new if not improves on it, and the price for that quality is far better for entry to get past the indecision of higher expenses
Thank you for this, I did about a half hour's worth of reading after this, made myself stop, and just bought it

Added some Stirling soaps and a badger brush off the Stirling website and will pull the trigger on them tomorrow

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Tha

Thank you for this, I did about a half hour's worth of reading after this, made myself stop, and just bought it

Added some Stirling soaps and a badger brush off the Stirling website and will pull the trigger on them tomorrow
Good to hear.

Buying vintage can be fraught with difficulties if a beginner and not buying from a well known reputable vendor. You should do well from Griffith.

next question, are you currently wet shaving at all now? if not, maybe get some soap/creme, maybe a brush, and learn to lather with whatever you shave with now. once you're happy with that, then go to a straight.
I never considered that there would be a lot of technique involved just with lathering, so I'm sure I'll have a steep learning curve for awhile... probably will be fun though.

Right now I'm not wet shaving, actually I basically use some cheap electric Walmart clippers to chop myself up until I miss a day and then lose my barber's line...there's either terrible shape-ups with Walmart clippers, or vintage straight razors, I'm incapable of existing in the middle 😂

Good to read you have bought from a reputable retailer. I'm fairly confident in saying most who have bought vintage razors in the wild or from auction sites have been burned to varying degrees.

I was going to strongly advise against a 3/8 for a beginner as they are hard to use (I know mine have a tendency to bite), but @Herrenberg eloquently covered what I would have said.

Good luck. It takes time and patience to become proficient, but most will say it's worth it.

Top Bottom