What's new

October 2022 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

SOTD #7
- Still In -

Took the opportunity for an early morning shave; post-shower.
This is plenty rare for me as I typically take the shower before hopping into bed.
Today however I was feeling a cylinder short and felt the need for a pick me up - no scheduled AM meetings helped as well.

2nd go with this brush and I just have to say what a great brush she's turning out to be.
So far, it has lost a grand total of 3 hairs given my initial wet/dry cycles.
3 exaggerated lathers of Stirling SDM followed by 2 more of MWF, over time.

2nd shave with the Dorco Titan left me again with a very close & satisfying shave.
Splashed on the Kiehl's Astringent and HOLY CAT of NINE TAILS !
I literally had to retreat from that hellish sink in utter disbelief...

Visibly free of redness, weeps, irritation otherwise - Let's see how tomorrow fares
  • *Tabac (SOTM)
  • Simpson's Commodore x3 - Best
  • *Mühle R89
  • *Dorco Titan (2)
  • Kiehl’s Astringent
  • Speick Splash
  • No Post-Shave Balm
* SWS

Still in.

With each shave I'm enjoying Tabac more and more. Today I scored a perfect BBS in three passes plus some touchups. I'm enjoying what I have, so no temptations so far. Perfect beggining of a weekend.

Today's shave:
Brush: Stando exotic wood SHD 2-band badger
Razor: Fatip Piccolo OC
Blade: Wilkinson Sword (2)
Preshave: Lavender bar soap
Soap: Tabac
Aftershave: Pan Drwal Absinth

2022-10-07 17.56.32.jpg

I’m curious: do your loved ones know about GRUME? I have to confess I haven’t told my CFO yet. She has seen me go from one hobby/obsession to another, and that I usually get wrapped up in technical details about my current interest. But so far I have kept most of it to myself, although she is fairly sure I am obsessed. Once in awhile I let some shaving trivia slip, and a couple of times she has caught me watching online shorn (shaving videos). But I fear saying, “I have RAD, and I joined a shaving accountability group.” That would change everything, I am sure. Instead of inwardly rolling here eyes and silently hoping she doesn’t have to handle my estate, she would vocally question every little purchase, ask if it violates my vows, and generally uh, er, hold me accountable?
SWMBO is very much aware, and quite encouraging. I'm pretty frugal, and she puts me to shame! However, she's also very understanding and supportive, so while she gently mocks me for my obsessive behavior, she agrees that it's part of my charm. :001_wub:
i have not specifically told her about my SA (Shavers Anonymous) group but she is the embodiment of GRUME, particularly when it comes to razors and blades. She seems more forgiving on soaps and balms. And she mocks me when I tell her about my shaving buddies on the forum. Or the forum in general for that matter. All is forgotten and forgiven when she feels my face after yet another great shave.

But if you want LJ we can fulfill her role for you if that helps…:cuppa::biggrin1:

Guido
Same. :a35: :001_rolle :laugh:
Still out; still in 30/31

Razor: Parker Variant
Blade: Parker Platinum
Soap: Barrister & Mann Leviathan
Brush: Simpsons T3
Fine Latigo
Liking the Variant so far? I think we need some pics... :straight:
View attachment 1535033
Down to the wire on this tube of green. May end up blowing November's GRUME picking up a new tube for 5 bucks on black friday (assuming that deal pops up again).
Don't do it! Find something else in your den and love that to death. Rinse and repeat as you slowly 3017 your den. :thumbsup:

linty1

My wallet cries.
FED2CC62-A3C3-4B03-BF5F-1B583C813129.jpeg

Just paid Larry for a brush reknot, but I'm doing a 30/31, so still in. Finally found a razor the Schick blades fit in, and thankfully its the general. Not gunna lie was a little nervous, having used guarded se blades all this time... and surprise! Nothing bad happened lol, was actually a really good, smooth shave. Will need to give it a few more shaves, but liking them so far, bummer they don't fit in the Oren. M7 and Arko.

To those celebrating, Happy Thanksgiving.

Day 7, 22.6% complete.

Preshave: Hot washcloth
Soap: Mitchell's Wool Fat
Brush: Yaqi 24mm synthetic cashmere
Razor: GC.68 SB, Al Handle, Astra SS #4
Bowl: Turkish copper
Post-shave: Nivea 2-in-1 Aftershave

Stayed with the same kit, except for MWF. Let the autopilot take over, for an easy DFS.

Date
365 days of shaving
GRUME
OCtober
Tabactober
281/281 (100%)
30/31 (97%, so out)
8/31 (100%)
3/31 (13%)

Passes
Efficiency
Quality
Comfort
Effectiveness
WTG (Gillette Slant) XTG (Gillette Slide)
ATG (usual)
8/10 (~20 minutes)
10/10 (Clean)
8/10 (Smoother)
8/10 (DFS)

Razor
Blade
Brush
Gillette NEW Long Comb
Tiger Platinum (3)
Omega Proraso Board
Preshave
Soap & Bowl
Postshave
Cold splash
Proraso Green
Tallowbac
Kox Enamel & Proraso
Cold splash
Proraso Green (balm)

Notes:

Overall a nice shave, topped of by the nice relaxing scent of Proraso Green balm.

Link to today's ponderings: A newbies journey into DE shaving - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/a-newbies-journey-into-de-shaving.622889/post-11959260

I’m curious: do your loved ones know about GRUME? I have to confess I haven’t told my CFO yet. She has seen me go from one hobby/obsession to another, and that I usually get wrapped up in technical details about my current interest. But so far I have kept most of it to myself, although she is fairly sure I am obsessed. Once in awhile I let some shaving trivia slip, and a couple of times she has caught me watching online shorn (shaving videos). But I fear saying, “I have RAD, and I joined a shaving accountability group.” That would change everything, I am sure. Instead of inwardly rolling here eyes and silently hoping she doesn’t have to handle my estate, she would vocally question every little purchase, ask if it violates my vows, and generally uh, er, hold me accountable?
My wife knows.
A very protective thing, I tell you.

Top Bottom