What's new

October 2022 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Still out, but in for 30/31. Was planning on a different soap but thought I really need to kill this A&E tub. That would be good, then I can get working on something else. Great shave with A&E Apricity, and used Fine Latigo for the first time today. It's really different! I love the quality of the splash, the scent is different however. Will see how it plays out. The Parker Variant is still wowing me with how well it works with my face. I have tried Astra SP which is my go to, Bic Chrome Platnimun, and the Parker blades that came with. Yesterday I traded my Lupo for some MdC and 100 blades. So at this point I could Sabbatical on shaving purchases until 2024. I'm not making that kind of commitment at this point however.
20221006_052259.jpg

Still out, but in for 30/31. Was planning on a different soap but thought I really need to kill this A&E tub. That would be good, then I can get working on something else. Great shave with A&E Apricity, and used Fine Latigo for the first time today. It's really different! I love the quality of the splash, the scent is different however. Will see how it plays out. The Parker Variant is still wowing me with how well it works with my face. I have tried Astra SP which is my go to, Bic Chrome Platnimun, and the Parker blades that came with. Yesterday I traded my Lupo for some MdC and 100 blades. So at this point I could Sabbatical on shaving purchases until 2024. I'm not making that kind of commitment at this point however. View attachment 1534426
Now that @Markdad2 has sung the praises of the Variant — I have one that I am willing to trade for a vintage razor or two. I used it a little over a year and it is on very good shape.

Tabactober GRUME and SWS, Day 6

Rockwell 6S
Astra Platinum (7)
Original Tabac
Evo 2.0 brush

Hey Guys
Excellent two pass shave today. I spent extra time with warm splashes and applying lather in layers before the first pass. I experimented with riding the cap and the guard. This razor is very forgiving and has a wide working angle. I am still learning more about using the wet tip lathering process.

The Twig is one of my favorite razors!

Me too! It is by far my most versatile razor. It is capable of carrying out a 3 minute shave using hand-applied creams or foams, or a 20 minute, 3-pass shave using a full kit, all quite well. It works with a 7 O'clock Green blade and Feathers and everything in between. I think it has replaced my Game Changer as my favorite for now. Not sure it is "wow" picture worthy razor, but I will recommend it to everyone who asks.

Me too! It is by far my most versatile razor. It is capable of carrying out a 3 minute shave using hand-applied creams or foams, or a 20 minute, 3-pass shave using a full kit, all quite well. It works with a 7 O'clock Green blade and Feathers and everything in between. I think it has replaced my Game Changer as my favorite for now. Not sure it is "wow" picture worthy razor, but I will recommend it to everyone who asks.
I bought the Leaf, beginning to think I got the wrong one. NO!!! I must not go there. Focus…. Deep breath….

Date:06.10.2022
Focused participations:06/31 Days in GRUME (out at 13%, but no subsequent purchases)
279/279 in 365 days of shaving (100%)
06/31 OCtober
Other participations:Steep Angle Shaving Alliance
Shave of the Week Society (on hold)
Tabactober
Razor:Fatip Piccolo Special Edition
Blade:King C Gillette (25)
Brush:Omega Super Badger
Soap:Tabac (tallow)
Bowl:Kox Enamel
Preshave:Cold splash
Proraso Green preshave
Postshave:Cold face wash
Chanel Allure (Balm)
Passes:WTG (Gillette Slant) | XTG (Gillette Slide) | ATG (usual)
Efficiency:9/10 (~15 minutes)
Quality:10/10 (Clean as a whistle)
Comfort:10/10 (GlideFest)
Effectiveness:8.5/10 (BBS-)

Yesterday's shave was so good, I decided to use the Fatip Special Edition again and just change the brush. And again I was rewarded with a fantastic shave.

Technique wise I am continuing my Slanted stroke and Slide stroke on the first and second pass respectively. I tried a reversed slanted stroke on my neck today and that seemed to get results as well. Tomorrow's shave with one of my Gillette's will see the next phase in this technical development.

This Tabac soap is a real performer. My badger brush had more trouble loading that the Plissoft from yesterday, but in this case Tabac is very forgiving and I still managed to get a good face lather. Smooth and supportive to the razor and blade. Scentwise again more subdued that I imagined. I did not rinse with another soap and had the LOTH judge for herself. She immediately identified the sandelwood, the musky and darker tones (called it an 'older' scent), but was surprised when I disclosed it was Tabac. She then also concluded that I broke GRUME! But she was forgiving. The aftershave is a no go, because that has a heavier scent than this soap. Using Chanel's Allure completed the excellence of today's shave.

But how do you not look? Every other post has a picture of shiny shiny in it!

Even on the GRUME thread!
:em2200:
I think you mean "Especially on the GRUME thread"
To clarify perhaps, maybe should have said to avoid window shopping.

Amazon, eBay, Etsy, etc...​
I mean, we can't help something glittery catching our eye now can we :LMS

Not much but yesterday a fellow brother here suggested I should follow up on a Matador razor - that created an immediate itch! And I’m thinking ahead for Christmas gifts - I am thinking of putting a Simpson T3 on my list.

But nothing spectacular. What I am very curious about is a certain package from Shanghai!
Guido
Hello Enabler-Hotline ?...
I'd like to make a suggestion for Christmas to perhaps peruse the Sue Moore auctions - I presume plenty to peruse through.
Best of all, the purchases go to a great cause and insulate you within GRUME

GRUME 3 of 16
SOTM 3 of 16
Tabactober 3 of 16

Razor: Merkur 34 HD C
Blade: GSB
Soap: Tabac Tallow
Brush: Cheapo Synthetic
AS: Clubman Pinaud

Well first time using this aftershave, we shall see if the smell linger as long as Tabac. One thing for sure it does left my face real smooth, on par with Stirling soap and a notch above Tabac in this department. 2 nicks under the lips those are the usual suspect. See you all in 2 days for the next shave

But isn’t a straight the original OC? I mean a straight doesn’t exactly have a safety bar, right? I saw someone - can’t remember who - who had some sort of click on OC, but to me that sounds like doubling down.

Guido
A Durham Duplex is a pseudo straight that uses a proprietary DE blade and has a OC attachment that clips onto both blades. There were also clip on OC attachments for standard straights but I can’t find a picture at present.

Top Bottom