What's new

October 2022 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

10 6 22.jpg

Still in! For whatever reason I went into this thinking I took out Proraso Green but figured it out eventually.

SOTD #6

Shave was much too late in the day than I would have preferred. Given Tabactober and all, I managed to forge ahead.

Turned out to be a great decision. 1st go with this brush leads me to believe it’s going to be utterly fantastic. While I really enjoy my Commodore x2, this x3 is going to to blow its socks off in only a matter of time. It’s still a bit hungry but we’re still in the defunking phase. What better soap to use...

I was also able to locate my sampler tuck of Dorco Titans - not bad at all. Left me with a very close shave and irritation free to boot. Of course paired with the right razor helps that to happen as well.
  • *Tabac (SOTM)
  • Simpson's Commodore x3 - Best
  • *Mühle R89 (Grande)
  • *Dorco Titan (1)
  • Thayer’s Astringent
  • Speick Splash
  • No Post-Shave Balm
* SWS
ECAAA860-7DF4-49E8-BBC4-049814929B1A.jpeg

I’m curious: do your loved ones know about GRUME? I have to confess I haven’t told my CFO yet. She has seen me go from one hobby/obsession to another, and that I usually get wrapped up in technical details about my current interest. But so far I have kept most of it to myself, although she is fairly sure I am obsessed. Once in awhile I let some shaving trivia slip, and a couple of times she has caught me watching online shorn (shaving videos). But I fear saying, “I have RAD, and I joined a shaving accountability group.” That would change everything, I am sure. Instead of inwardly rolling here eyes and silently hoping she doesn’t have to handle my estate, she would vocally question every little purchase, ask if it violates my vows, and generally uh, er, hold me accountable?

I’m curious: do your loved ones know about GRUME? I have to confess I haven’t told my CFO yet. She has seen me go from one hobby/obsession to another, and that I usually get wrapped up in technical details about my current interest. But so far I have kept most of it to myself, although she is fairly sure I am obsessed. Once in awhile I let some shaving trivia slip, and a couple of times she has caught me watching online shorn (shaving videos). But I fear saying, “I have RAD, and I joined a shaving accountability group.” That would change everything, I am sure. Instead of inwardly rolling here eyes and silently hoping she doesn’t have to handle my estate, she would vocally question every little purchase, ask if it violates my vows, and generally uh, er, hold me accountable?
i have not specifically told her about my SA (Shavers Anonymous) group but she is the embodiment of GRUME, particularly when it comes to razors and blades. She seems more forgiving on soaps and balms. And she mocks me when I tell her about my shaving buddy’s on the forum. Or the forum in general for that matter. All is forgotten and forgiven when she feels my face after yet another great shave.

But if you want LJ we can fulfill her role for you if that helps…:cuppa::biggrin1:

Guido

Day 6, 19.4% complete.

Preshave: Hot washcloth
Lather: Gillette Sensitive Gel with Aloe
Brush: Yaqi 24mm synthetic cashmere
Razor: GC.68 SB, Al Handle, Astra SS #3
Bowl: Turkish copper
Post-shave: Nivea 2-in-1 Aftershave

Bowl-lathered canned gel again, and got the hydration a lot better this time.

A drama-free DFS+ shave.

Date:07.10.2022
Focused participations:07/31 Days in GRUME (out at 13%, but no subsequent purchases)
280/280 in 365 days of shaving (100%)
07/31 OCtober
Other participations:Steep Angle Shaving Alliance
Shave of the Week Society (on hold)
Tabactober
Razor:Gillette NEW Flat Bottom
Blade:Tiger Platinum (2)
Brush:DVH Synthetic
Soap:Tabac (tallow)
Bowl:Kox Enamel
Preshave:Cold splash
Proraso Green preshave
Postshave:Cold face wash
Chanel Allure (Balm)
Passes:WTG (Gillette Slant) | XTG (Gillette Slide) | ATG (usual)
Efficiency:8/10 (~20 minutes)
Quality:9/10 (Almost clean)
Comfort:7/10 (Smooth but harsh)
Effectiveness:8.5/10 (DFS)

The results of the shave were good. The conditions under which can be further improved. The blade felt harsh in the NEW Flat Bottom, but I have not dismissed it yet because although the lather was nice it was not as good as the days before. Which is totally on me and not the soap (even then Tabac performs). I think I just underloaded the brush. So I am using the blade in the NEW LC tomorrow and make sure I have a better lather to assess the actual condition of the blade.

A48FFD96-652E-4F95-8EEC-D77EC38B2C1C.jpeg

October 7, 2022 Grume

Razors: Charcoal Goods Every Day + Gillette Fusion
Blades: Perma-Sharp (1) and Fusion5 (14)
Soap: Proraso Green
Brush: Zenith Boar Copper Handle
AS: Pinaud Clubman

Happy Friday! The Amazing LOTH touched up the back of my neck with the Fusion, which was also used (the trimming blade) under my nostrils. The CG took care of the rest quite nicely.

The 8th day of Tabactober GRUME and SWS

Rockwell 6S
Astra Platinum (8)
Tallow-bac soap
Semogue 830 brush

Hey Guys
Thanks to @Lane101 for posting his thread to Gillette shaving instructions in 1958 and 1963. Both of these guides advise lathering should take between 2 and 4 minutes "to penetrate and soften the beard".
I am applying lather for about 3 minutes in layers. The initial thin layer will begin to dry as it is absorbed by the skin so I continue to add more lather a second and third time. I think the extra layers help "prepare" my skin, especially on the first pass.

Today's shave was again a DFS+ with no irritation. In SWS, tomorrow I can use the option to switch the razor and soap. However, to remain in the good graces with fellow tabacolites , I will stay with Tabac because it is working excellent and has a good post-shave softness.

Last edited:
Top Bottom