What's new

October 2020 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Out
883308A5-69A9-438D-8B2E-B6DEB733A6AE.jpeg

I’m in need of a ruling. My wife asked me what I wanted for Christmas and naturally I said a razor. However the razor I am interested I’ve heard has an up to 6 week waiting period. So my lovely wife wants me to figure out what I want and then place the order for her for me. So it will hopefully be here before Christmas, so that she can wrap it and put it under the tree until December 25th.
Rule “3.b. The "Birthday Rule": Members are not allowed to ask (or even hint) for shaving gear as gifts for any occasion.”
Would this be in violation of this rule or the GRUME?
Edit: the order has not been placed yet, wanted to see what the thought was here first.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Yes indeed ! --- still in !
A cool rainy morning here in Upstate New York, so perfect a time for B & M Bay Rum.
And my Timeless Aluminum is getting along quite nicely with the Feather inside.

View attachment 1169367
Where in upstate NY are you, Adam? You could fit most of New England in what they call "upstate" New York. I know guys from Staten Island who think Westchester is upstate and for whom Newburgh & Poughkeepsie may as well be Canada!

Where in upstate NY are you, Adam? You could fit most of New England in what they call "upstate" New York. I know guys from Staten Island who think Westchester is upstate and for whom Newburgh & Poughkeepsie may as well be Canada!

The beautiful little village of Altamont at the base of the Helderberg Escarpment .....
..... around twenty miles west of Albany, the state capital.
And you're right. I was born and raised in New York City, where we considered
anywhere north of Yonkers to be "upstate." LOL

Still in:

Strop: Tony Miller​
Razor: Buck 39 Salient By Caleb Cooper- Matte Black G10​
Pre-Shave Cream: Proraso Red, Sandalwood & Shea Butter​
Brush: Elite Razor Waterfall Bubinga w/ 26mm High Mountain White – Fan​
Soap: Williams Mug Shaving Soap​
Aftershave: Proraso Blue Balm, Aloe and Vitamin E​

Owen Bawn

GSB blade in the Fatip Grande OC. Paladin Chief and Cella. Aqua Velva after shave. Took yesterday off from shaving to let a rash on my neck clear up a bit. Looked forward to using the Paladin brush all night! Restraint really makes me enjoy shaving more- I never would have guessed that, but it's true.

The beautiful little village of Altamont at the base of the Helderberg Escarpment .....
Hey, another local on this forum... Amazing. I'm in Colonie NY. I know at some point I've talked to 1 or 2 others.

Owen Bawn

Hey, another local on this forum... Amazing. I'm in Colonie NY. I know at some point I've talked to 1 or 2 others.

I'm not from NY but I have friends in Voorheesville, and I worked in Auriesville for a summer when I was in graduate school. I know guys who work at SUNY Albany, Russell Sage in Troy, and RPI. I know and like that entire region of NY.

Owen Bawn

I've found that I need to stay away from ebay, BST, and I must be careful with the dozen or more shaving vendor emails I get each day. I learned, for example, that there had been a 2 band custom Eagle 3 packed like a Chubby 1 on BST and the seller was willing to accept a Chubby 1 Manchurian in exchange. Had I seen that post I would have been "out" of this restraint so quickly you all would have felt the breeze as I blew past. But by staying away from BST, by the time I found out about this brush it was too late.

Might I miss a once-in-a-lifetime chance by avoiding looking around while on restraint? Perhaps, but there are far fewer once-in-a-lifetime things than we imagine. If you're patient, all sorts of things eventually float by, and usually more than once.

Still in!

Tony Miller Strop​
Ralf Aust 5/8 Full Hollow Spanish Point​
Proraso Red, Sandalwood & Shea Butter​
Elite Razor Spalted (‘rotten wood‘) Maple w/ Full Moon Synthetic 26mm​
Colonel Conk Natural Shave Cream Rio Grande Lavender​
Proraso Blue Balm, Aloe and Vitamin E​

... I learned, for example, that there had been a 2 band custom Eagle 3 packed like a Chubby 1 on BST and the seller was willing to accept a Chubby 1 Manchurian in exchange. Had I seen that post I would have been "out" of this restraint so quickly you all would have felt the breeze as I blew past. ...

I hate to say this, but I think you would have been okay on the trade. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Per the rules:
"5. Feel free to engage in trades (especially with each other), but don't enter any PIFs."

Owen Bawn

I hate to say this, but I think you would have been okay on the trade. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Per the rules:
"5. Feel free to engage in trades (especially with each other), but don't enter any PIFs."
Ah, well... to me, engaging in that trade while on restraint would have felt like an alcoholic who's said to have given up the drink but still will have a pint of beer or a glass of port. If that were me, before I knew it I'd be quaffing buckets of brandy and buying every Super Speed in America.

Top Bottom