What's new

October 2019 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Went to the Mitchell's Wool Fat today. Have not used it for a long time. Wish I would have taken a picture of the puck. Big nasty cracks almost through the whole puck. Very little scent. So.... I grated it finely and pressed back in its ceramic bowl. Scent came back and a test lather was superb, probably better than when the puck was new. I'll use it tonight on a head shave and post results.

I had a great Sunday shave today,

GEM 1912
GEM PTFE (13)
Mike's Lime
Vie-Long BGS2012 Butterscotch Beehive Natural Horse
Aqua Velva Ice Blue

I'm still in! I know I just reported in yesterday, but my situation is a little different now. The last razor on my wish list showed up for sale yesterday. I asked myself "will the sensation of having it outweigh the feeling of succeeding the GRUME?" The answer was "No". I didn't buy it. I wouldn't have missed a bill payment and nobody in my household would have missed a meal. But, it felt good just to exercise restraint. The razor will be there if/when I want it. Just a few more weeks to go...

Still in
OCtober 13.jpg

Flying out for work. I was about to place an order for couple of soap samples to be shipped to the concierge at the hotel. And then I didn’t. Went back to the shoebox where I store soap bric-a-brac, and took out fairly old AdP cream, about 30 ml left. Not crazy about it but it will have to do.
Another small step on the way out of SAD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was about to buy 50 Wolfman razors to do an epic PIF, but then I realized I signed up for GRUME. Sigh...

Still in.:cuppa:

Shaved with Tabac and Chubby 2 Best this morning. I did a thin lather with just back'n'fro strokes, film of wet soap basically. I didn't get any better or worse shave than I get with the full Santa beard made in a lathering bowl, plus it was faster with less mess to clean.

Still in. Didn’t spring for the Prorasso Red. I’ll wait until the grace day.
Inventory has reduced nicely and the LMOF will wait patiently.

Still in - M&M Claddagh is bound to be finished by the end of the month, but i dont need to replace it as i have plenty more on hand.

Had more temptation. No, not the Parker I found in the wild. The knot fell our of my VDH badger brush a while back, and I debated replacing it with a silvertip badger knot. I would have to steam the current knot out of the silver ring it's set in, and never got around to it. Went to measure the knot tonight, and found it easily came out of the silver ring. So now I have a measurement and my eye on a knot, and temptation to go ahead with the project. I won't, but it's sure tempting.

Went to the Mitchell's Wool Fat today. Have not used it for a long time. Wish I would have taken a picture of the puck. Big nasty cracks almost through the whole puck. Very little scent. So.... I grated it finely and pressed back in its ceramic bowl. Scent came back and a test lather was superb, probably better than when the puck was new. I'll use it tonight on a head shave and post results.
How was it? I’m going to guess it was awesome.

How was it? I’m going to guess it was awesome.

Sorry about not posting a review, lots of overtime and planting trees, plus no sleep. The MWF puck I had looked as dry as mud in the Serria Desert. Huge cracks! I was going to just throw it out and remembered a post about grating it. The Gentleman made a shave stick. So I grated the puck finely and pressed it back into the ceramic bowl. Wow! The scent came back, test lather was great. Even though it had huge cracks the soap on the inside was still moist. To be honest I think when it is time to get a new puck I will grate it immediately and press into the bowl. Super easy to lather now. I never had a problem before but now it takes half the time to load and lather. Yes... to answer the question, it was a great head shave! Tomorrow I'll do face and head and post pictures. MWF is a Classic hard soap made even better by grating it and pressing back into the bowl. The bowl for me anyway doesn't seal very well so I now have a circular piece of a sandwich bag cut to fit to keep the moisture in and air out.

I don't understand why cracks on dry soap make someone worry and go out of their way to grate the puck or even throw it out. It's the same soap. Just use it.

Top Bottom