What's new

November 2022 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

I am so bad at these games - cross-over you say, so you are out but you’re crossing us over and not telling, or is it something else? Like using your mug of doom with at the left overs but appearing as old spice?

Am I at least warm?

Guido
LOL

Nah, it's not those things. I'm very much in and the Haslinger puck is in the OS mug (on top of Mug of Gross contents). However, something in the picture may look both familiar and out-of-place.

noun: cross-over; modifier noun: cross-over
  1. a point or place of crossing from one side to the other.
    • a short length of track joining two adjacent railroad lines.
  2. the process of achieving success in a different field or style

LOL

Nah, it's not those things. I'm very much in and the Haslinger puck is in the OS mug (on top of Mug of Gross contents). However, something in the picture may look both familiar and out-of-place.

noun: cross-over; modifier noun: cross-over
  1. a point or place of crossing from one side to the other.
    • a short length of track joining two adjacent railroad lines.
  2. the process of achieving success in a different field or style
The yellow-brown artefact you mean? Or rather I mean? Or is it the mug and you went over to bowl lathering?? :bored::confused1

Still in
Tonight’s shave
Pre-wash: Warm face wash
Brush: FS 3-band Silvertip Badger Shea
Blade: Rapira Platinum Lux
Razor: Rockwell 6C (4)
Soap: Signature Soaps Hibernian
Post-Shave: Alum Block
Davidoff Cool Water AS Splash
Proraso Shea Butter Oil and Sandalwood ASB
Ach Brito Bergamotto Cologne

Another exemplary shave with the 6C and the Rapira blade, so smooth in effortlessly removing 3+ days of growth. Brush was a bit big for the soap tin so had to reload to complete the shave. Lovely BBS result.
Post shave routine left my face feeling in top of the world.
Should squeeze one or maybe two more shaves in before the end of the month. I can smell the end now. So near but yet so far with the Black Friday sales. Hoping to stay strong but……..
😂😂😂😂

Day 23, 76.7% complete.

Preshave: Hot washcloth
Soap: Saponificio Varesino Cubebe
Brush: Yaqi 24mm synthetic cashmere
Razor: GC.84 SB, Al Handle, Nacet #3
Bowl: Turkish copper
Post-shave: Nivea Balm.

It got late, so had a quick, mostly-autopilot shave. For an easy DFS, the combination of Game Changer, Nacet and SV soap is hard to beat.

Date
365 days of shaving330/327
(100%)
GRUME24/30 (100%)
NOCvember
24/30 (100%)
Discovery Blade AdventureBolzano 2/3
Timor 2/3
Eddison 2/3

Passes2 and light touch up
WXTGCB Curve
(NW-SE curving to NE-SW | cheeks and neck)
ATGStraight & Slanted
(S-N | cheeks)
(SW-NE | neck)

Razor
Blade
Brush
Timeless Ti95 SC
Matador Deluxe with Fat Handle
Eddison (7)
Bolzano (4)
Omega 632 Super Badger
Pre-shave
Soap & Bowl
Post-shave
Cold splash
Proraso Geen
Proraso Green
Proraso bowl
Cold splash
Face wash with residual lather
Proraso Green (AS)
Proraso Green (Balm)

Efficiency
Quality
8/10 (~20 minutes)8/10 (Lip nick and weeper)
EffectivenessComfort
9/10 (BBS)
9.5/10 (Buttery smooth)

Notes to today’s shave:

Still in!! And only 6 days left after today - so we are turning the corner to the final stretch. Tomorrow is Black Friday - that will be the real test for me I guess.

Initially I had the idea of using the golden combination of yesterday, but the Matador begged me to be used. The Timeless opened the shave with a fabulous first pass taking care of emerging stubble elegantly, smoothly and comfortably. After the first pass which could have been enough if I just did a jaw line pass/touch up, the Matador took over for the ATG second pass. Similarly effective - slightly less comfortable the Bolzano showing first signs of fatigue. And for some bizar reason I decided to shave straight across my mouth! :eek2:Huh! So I nicked my lip, but I only felt it - no real blood was spilled. Lucky me. Less lucky on my chin and I had to let the alum take care of that one.

What is interesting to me is that both the Timeless and the Matador have a serious blade gap, but if you let the razor do the work for you, you wouldn't no. Really smooth and relaxing in use. Excellent razors in their own right and combined a winning team.:001_wub:

The Eddison still reigns supreme with absolutely no signs of blade wear, less sharpness or whatsoever. Just really excellent performance.

All other actors played their part brilliantly and therefore we landed the shave at a very satisfying BBS level.:thumbup1:

Happy Thanksgiving to all my shaving brothers in the US!

Still in

Happy Thanksgiving folks!

A fine BBS to start the day, time to get cooking and then settle in for some football!

Razor: Ever Ready 1914
Blade: GEM PTFE (6)
Soap: Stirling Baker Street
Brush: Vie-Long BGS 2012 Butterscotch Beehive Horse
AS: Stirling Baker Street aftershave

Yesterday's shave was very important. Date night! Mrs. Rookie and I have a standing date night where we go to the Washington Capitols hockey game every night before Thanksgiving. This time I took a half day and we made a whole afternoon and evening of it. We explored a new DC neighborhood and it brought us back to wandering the small towns and villages of Germany when we were newlywesa. I needed the closest shave with no nicks or weepers of anything. So I have to put off the first slant razor until the next shave. I am really looking forward to trying it though!

Yesterday it was my Red Tip called up. My Grey Dog synthetic made a great larger with PdP Bergmont and Thyme. I didn't like that soap at first, but the more I use it the more it grows on me. This might be something I never run out of. And a splash of Aqua Velva, her favorite smelling aftershave, rounded out the experience. That was yesterday around 1:45pm. It's now 10am the next day. My BBS shave is still the D'est DFS I've had in a while. Another testimony to taking your time and focusing on what you're doing.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone who celebrates it. I'm thankful for you all. And I'm thankful for the GRUMEs which "make" me reconnect and appreciate with what I have instead of forever drooling and dreaming of what's out there.

Still in.

Pre: Pears soap
Razor: Gamechanger 84 Nacet(4)
Soap: Mudder Focker
Brush: Amici

Had a strange shave experience today, found my lather (which was good) to tingle...almost stinge on my face. My face is very smooth but sore now. Same shave gear as the rest of the week and I routinely use a Nacet for a full week not 4 shaves. I suspect the .84 baseplate is just to much for me to use this often. I almost feel like I did after using a 5 blade cartridge. Gonna put the 84 away for a bit and go back to the .68 or maybe the Post war Tech for awhile.
Jay

Last edited:
GRUMEing and NOCvembering on this day of Thanks-Giving
Still In

PXL_20221124_164821058.MP.jpg

Gillette Super Speed flair tip (1954)
Gillette Platinum (23)
Brushworx G5C
B&M Eigengrau

Hey Guys
Most important, I hope everyone is thankful for the good in our life.
In the U.S., today is usually celebrated with family and friends. Traditionally turkey or ham with dressing (made with cornbread in my neck of the woods), cranberry sauce, rolls and sweet potato pie is followed by football games and naps. It is my favorite holiday, not just for family and food but also as a reminder to be deeply thankful for the blessings in life. We have passed on the tradition to our daughter and will be gathering at her home.

I used my birth year razor and the B&M soap put me in a quiet, reflective and peaceful frame of mind. The blade is holding up for a DFS result.

Here is a tip for stropping your blade. Notice the round makeup pad in the photo. It is textured on one side and I am now using them to strop/clean the blade after each use.

Take care of yourself and each other.

Still in

GRUBF 14 of 18
SOTM 14 of 18
NOCvember too 14 out of 18

Razor: Merkur 34 HD C
Blade: GSB (5)
Soap: Nivea for Men Mild Shaving Cream
Brush: Proraso Boar
AS: Brut Splash on + NIVEA MEN Sensitive Calm Moisturizer

Slow morning on this rainy day in central Texas. Le Petit Marseillais bar soap for the long hot shower followed by a bol lathered shave, first so so shave with this blade, it will meet its demise once dry and will be replaced for the next one.

Tomorrow is Black Friday and this GRUBF participant will be spending his hard earn pesos online while working to ensure a smooth shopping day for others. still have not fully decided what I will buy, some AS, a brush or two, a razor likely a Merkur Progress and some blade, I will also get a soap, brush brush holder and AS for my brother Xmass present.

Just Treewhaled aftershaves from Goodfellas Smile and a Fatip Special Edition for Black Fridays. Aftershaves are for my son (his 16th birthday is coming up in December) and the Fatip is for a PIF in the making. Also got my son a bottle of witch hazel. He is still on cartridges but very slowly and subtly I am reeling him in. Or at least I think I am.

So no personal purchases and therefore still in!!

Cheers,

Guido

Top Bottom