What's new

November 2019 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Great head shave this evening.

Timeless Titanium .95OC
Astra SP ×3 (last shave)
Yaqi 26m Moka Silvertip (great brush for 34 bucks)
Panama 1924

My top 5 soaps in no order because they perform the same in slickness, residual slickness and post shave.

Panama 1924
A&E
Barrister & Mann Excelsior base
PannaCrema
First Line Shave (New Base) Star Oddesy
SV 4.3 is right there as well

In my Timeless Titanium .95OC Voshkod then Astra SP rule as far as blades go. Feather blade for a weeks worth of growth. YMMV but for my favorite kit this is tops. Brushes I prefer my Simpson Chubby 2s in Best and Super. I have no needs. Christmas is coming up and my kids will no doubt get me some soaps. Does this disqualify me for December? I have no input into their selection.

They did order me a Blackland Vector months ago. Still waiting on production.

Last edited:
Still going strong. So far this month I've made it through most of the samples I've accumulated. Should finish them up by the end of the month. So far the only thing I'd consider buying is Murphy and McNeil.

Next month it will be on to the full sized soaps I've stockpiled.

Not bad so far. We've lost 3 of 17, which has us at an 82% success rate. Let's see if we can keep it up with all the upcoming sales! The best plan is to focus on enjoying what you already have. :)

I'm still going strong - no temptations.

Roll call!

1) @FoolishMortal
2) @CzechCzar
3) @RTM
4) @GaryTha
5) @Schnitzel52
6) @Sotiris_A
7) Rory1262 - out (PIF entry + AS-D2)
8) @pdieten
9) brandaves - out (PIF entry)
10) @kingfisher
11) @DEPenguin
12) @Wtd1911
13) @naughtilus
14) @RumpleBearskin
15) @Stuart Ganis
16) sg01fc - out (Timeless Aluminum)
17) @wmitchell

Christmas is coming up and my kids will no doubt get me some soaps. Does this disqualify me for December? I have no input into their selection.

They did order me a Blackland Vector months ago. Still waiting on production.
I feel that if you receive gifts without having asked for them, you're fine. That's a matter of others being thoughtful, knowing what you like. If you put shaving goods on your list and you get them, I feel like you're out because you violated the spirit of the GRUME, even if it wasn't your money spent.

Others are welcome to weigh in.

I feel that if you receive gifts without having asked for them, you're fine. That's a matter of others being thoughtful, knowing what you like. If you put shaving goods on your list and you get them, I feel like you're out because you violated the spirit of the GRUME, even if it wasn't your money spent.

Others are welcome to weigh in.
I have not asked for anything shaving related. Really nothing I want or need. The kids find it easy to find a scent they like. They will be in Chicago and no doubt stop at Merz Apothecary because my daughter loves wet shaving.

SOTD
Face only

Timeless Titanium.95OC/Scalloped dual
Voshkod x1
Simpson's Wee Scot
La Toja stick
Nivea Balm

Teqnique is the key. Master the razor and blade and it doesn't matter the soap. Great BBS shave. Granted, the Artisian soaps deliver a better, softer postshave experience but if you are on your game La Toja, Arko can shave just as good as our 70+ dollar soaps. The Wee Scot is a monster brush, enough for 3 passes and a slight pickup. I've missed using it.

Not bad so far. We've lost 3 of 17, which has us at an 82% success rate. Let's see if we can keep it up with all the upcoming sales! The best plan is to focus on enjoying what you already have. :)

I'm still going strong - no temptations.

Roll call!

1) @FoolishMortal
2) @CzechCzar
3) @RTM
4) @GaryTha
5) @Schnitzel52
6) @Sotiris_A
8) @pdieten
10) @kingfisher
11) @DEPenguin
12) @Wtd1911
13) @naughtilus
14) @RumpleBearskin
15) @Stuart Ganis
17) @wmitchell

Well, I think I'm out.

I didn't PURCHASE anything, but I did participate in a PIF (and won!) and also in a passaround from another site. So I have actually tried TWO soaps that were new to me this month.

<hangs head in shame>

Well, I think I'm out.

I didn't PURCHASE anything, but I did participate in a PIF (and won!) and also in a passaround from another site. So I have actually tried TWO soaps that were new to me this month.

<hangs head in shame>
No shame needed. Thanks for coming clean, and I hope we'll see you next month.

1) @FoolishMortal
2) @CzechCzar
3) @RTM
4) @GaryTha
5) @Schnitzel52
6) @Sotiris_A
8) @pdieten
10) kingfisher - out (PIF entry)
11) @DEPenguin
12) @Wtd1911
13) @naughtilus
14) @RumpleBearskin
15) @Stuart Ganis
17) @wmitchell

Managed to nick myself on the neck today. Superficial, no trace left. Didn't feel a thing, I was surprised to see some red. Apparently I succeed in making slick lather. Pity this knowledge came in the form of a scratch. Didn't put a dump on overall quality shave.
Thumbs up for Nuávia Rosso.

Still in & no reason to buy anything for the rest of the month. I don't do any Black Friday shopping of any kind.

I was in Target last night for the first time since they expanded their men's collections. I have to say it's not bad for a general merchandise store. AoS products were on sale, though still expensive, and lots of other interesting looking skin care things. I left it all there. Just can't justify it, for as full as the shaving products drawer at home is.

Top Bottom