What's new

November 2019 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

BA02672C-1CFA-4945-9260-17BEF084AD79.jpeg

Somewhat surprisingly, this combination turned in one of the most pleasant shaves I’ve had in a quite a while. This is my prickle-less mixed hair brush and it did a great job whipping that cream into lather. Halfway through the shave I had to make sure I had a blade in the razor. BBS in three minutes. 10/10 would use this combination again

Quite happy with my Rigarazor, Arko, and Maggard's Black and White.
IMG_20191116_120442-01.jpeg

I really don't think I'll ever need anything more than this. (But that won't stop me from looking...)

Still in and all ADs are still well under control.

I use almost the same setup as the one previously reported: Merkur 34c, MWF, Semogue 1460 and 830 and B&M Spice ASL. The Gillette platinum blades are my new favorites.

I will certainly join you next month, but I will be buying some software on the 1st of December to get me through the annual sabbatical, which I will also join on the 1st of January. I am so satisfied with what I have and the shaves I get that I am even thinking of the 4 year sabbatical that @GaryTha is organizing.

Happy shaves everyone! :)

Still in and all ADs are still well under control.

I use almost the same setup as the one previously reported: Merkur 34c, MWF, Semogue 1460 and 830 and B&M Spice ASL. The Gillette platinum blades are my new favorites.

I will certainly join you next month, but I will be buying some software on the 1st of December to get me through the annual sabbatical, which I will also join on the 1st of January. I am so satisfied with what I have and the shaves I get that I am even thinking of the 4 year sabbatical that @GaryTha is organizing.

Happy shaves everyone! :)

Be glad to have you. I'll publish the "final rules" on or about Dec 1. The 2020-2024 Leap Year Sabbatical will start on 2/29/20 and end at midnight on 2/28/24.

There will be a 2020s sabbatical starting on 1/1/20 and ending on 1/31/29. (First week is resupply for those participating in the annual sabbatical this year.)

There will be a Shave of the Decade (SOTDe) challenge for the 2020s sabbatical. One setup for the whole decade.

Be glad to have you. I'll publish the "final rules" on or about Dec 1. The 2020-2024 Leap Year Sabbatical will start on 2/29/20 and end at midnight on 2/28/24.

There will be a 2020s sabbatical starting on 1/1/20 and ending on 1/31/29. (First week is resupply for those participating in the annual sabbatical this year.)

There will be a Shave of the Decade (SOTDe) challenge for the 2020s sabbatical. One setup for the whole decade.

Thanks! Provided the rules allow the participants to purchase one item from a category once completely out of products in that category then I'm in for 4 years. The decade sabbatical is too far in the future for me, but I hope that the short(er) term ones will lead me to using a relatively small setup (2-3 items tops in each hardware and software category).

On a personal note, I find it is easier to restrain myself by setting smaller goals and raising the bar progressively. 6.5 years ago I quit smoking after being a pipe smoker for 13 years. One day, I told myself that I would be allowed to smoke after 3 days and only once. On the 3rd day I did smoke and then I allowed myself to smoke after 5 days, then after a week, 10 days and suddenly, I was over it...

I feel that the GRUME are really helping me control my ADs in a similar way. So thanks to Brandon for setting these up and all the participants for making this happen!

Thanks! Provided the rules allow the participants to purchase one item from a category once completely out of products in that category then I'm in for 4 years. The decade sabbatical is too far in the future for me, but I hope that the short(er) term ones will lead me to using a relatively small setup (2-3 items tops in each hardware and software category).

Unfortunately, you will only be able to replace hardware items if it's the last one. There will be a couple of exceptions for software for travelers.

End of the year comes with all sorts of sales: black Friday, Christmas and New Year, whatnot... Temptations are all around.
Shaving gear is not that expensive, and here are advantages and drawbacks. Advantage: on a grand scale of things, how much could one possibly save during sales? Couple of quid, tenner at best. Why even bother. Drawback: on a grand scale of things how much could one possibly spend? Twenty, fifty... Even not enough to annoy the wife. Again, why bother.

(I am avoiding the issue of expensive hardware on purpose because spending hundreds let alone thousands on razors and brushes is the territory where licensed professionals should be employed full time, not humble fellow enthusiasts. I mean get yourself one as a birthday present to scratch that itch but AD for expensive stuff... If someone can easily afford it - no questions, otherwise... )

Back to my original thought: stay strong gentlemen. Even if for a selfish purpose of looking or feeling smug when the rest of the world running about getting this and that for a dollar less.

@GaryTha looking forward for the leap year rules. I am going to keep myself from acquiring stuff except what I truly need. I think I even worked out blades issue when travelling. I am going for work to the same three destinations, staying at the same hotels. I will ask the concierge in each hotel to keep 50 blades (and possibly even a tub of soap) for me. Will make calls next week.

Apologies for longish post.

Unfortunately, you will only be able to replace hardware items if it's the last one. There will be a couple of exceptions for software for travelers.

I'll wait for the final version of the rules. Soaps and blades are not a problem. AS balm is, because it can go bad in 4-years-time. I will probably get an extra bottle and hope it for the best.

I'll wait for the final version of the rules. Soaps and blades are not a problem. AS balm is, because it can go bad in 4-years-time. I will probably get an extra bottle and hope it for the best.

Thanks, this is good information. I was only going to include the basics in the sabbatical. Balm was one I was considering leaving out. I may leave out aftershave, so people have something they can buy along the way.

Gentlemen, I think I am out.
I bought a present for someone. Even though it is not for me, I've paid for it.
Once the item arrives I will share the details.

Gentlemen, I think I am out.
I bought a present for someone. Even though it is not for me, I've paid for it.
Once the item arrives I will share the details.
Nope, that's fair dinkum. If you don't sample/use the item, buying a gift for someone else is perfectly fine.

Still in. Great shave today. Micromatic Open Comb. Gem blade. Yaqi 22mm synthetic with cola handle. Haslinger Schafmilch. And my personal favorite Skin Bracer. Good day.

Nope, that's fair dinkum. If you don't sample/use the item, buying a gift for someone else is perfectly fine.
Thank you @FoolishMortal . I will not use the item in question. This will be the Hanukkah / 70th birthday gift for my father-in-law, sign of appreciation and respect. The man deserves it, fair and square. I feel relieved, because I stayed true to my goal: no unnecessary purchase, only what I need.
I will share more when it arrives.

Top Bottom