What's new

Noob shaver, Blackland Sabre review

Back again with another patented Noob Shaver Review for the shaving homies.

If you read these threads:

then you know where I'm at. Let's get to this shall we?

Buddy is a Blackland fanboy, and turned me into one as well. I have the Blackbird and the Sabre...had the Dart but sold it because it was similar enough of a shave to the Blackbird that I didn't feel both were necessary, and the Vector will be here by the end of the week.

Wanted to try this format, and wanted to do it with one from my favorite razor company, hence the Sabre. 3 shaves in, feel like I'm getting a handle on it (ha) so figured I'd chuck up a short review.

First few shaves:

proxy.php

This one went pretty well, even though it felt weird....and of course I cut myself. Trying to go ATG on my neck with a new razor is a recipe for blood and I need to remember that. Other than that, good shave.

proxy.php

This one went better, no blood....but it was sort of uncomfortable. I usually try to read up on angles for razors I own but haven't tried yet, and everything I'd read about Gem razors said to keep the cap flat against my face, more or less. It's an unusual angle for me, and I didn't like it.

This morning's shave:

proxy.php

Marco method, Milksteak as it's the best 'residual slickness' soap I own, and also hey....a hangover. I wasn't really paying attention and just sort of used this like I do my DE's. I ride the bar on a lot of them, and this morning it just kind of clicked into place. Rode the bar, almost zero pressure (which I'm noticing is a thing with Blackland razors, if you own one try zero pressure and see what happens) and just let it do its thing.....went on autopilot and it worked out great. Slick awesome shave, no blood, didn't really go ATG on my neck as it was more of an angle down towards my shoulders but it worked. 10/10 for this one.

Build quality is all Blackland....this thing is perfect. More or less weighs about as much as my Blackbird, which is helpful. I didn't notice any drag, nothing I don't like about it. Damn good razor from a great company doing interesting designs here in the US. Can't help but to support that.

This is close and smooth....and I'd say efficient to a high degree. It's not mean about it; it's less aggressive right off the bat than the Blackbird was for me, either that or I'm getting better at this whole shaving thing.

For me, the Blackbird is the most efficient razor I've ever used....that thing makes my face feel like glass when I'm done shaving, so I'd call that a 10 for efficiency.

If the BB is a 10, the Sabre would be around a 9. I shaved around 8 hours ago and although the stubble is starting to come back, I'm ok with that. If I grab a BBS shave on the Blackbird I really don't need to shave for around 24 hours. This feels like it's going to be less than that, but still more efficient in this category than anything else I've used save the BB.

Looking forward to using this thing in the future and getting better with it, just as I did the Blackbird which turned out to be my favorite razor for the last 8 or so months. 2 years into this shaving journey, and no razor has lasted longer than 3 months as a favorite until that Bird came along.

All this said, I now have really high hopes for the Vector; I think given the quality of the shaves I've gotten from the Blackland stuff that the Vector is going to be outstanding as well.

Any questions feel free.

Thanks for the review. I recently picked up a L2 Sabre and have had really good shaves with it. The first couple had small weepers as I figured out the angle, then yesterday it turned to magic. My skin or my technique seems to change once in awhile , so most of my razors I have trouble with from time to time. My 6s seems immune though. I like the look of your brush, haven't went down that rabbit hole yet lol. Three brushes ever here and my first is retired, moved to an Omega pro boar and the Jade boar from Cannought shaving.

D

dangerousrazor

A great review. It definitely is one of the best modern SEs in the market. a very comfortable and smooth razor indeed.

Nice review, enjoyed your review on the Blackbird as well. Do you have the Level 1 or Level 2 version of the Sabre?

Ah sorry, I knew I forgot something. This is the Level 2.

Thanks for the review. I recently picked up a L2 Sabre and have had really good shaves with it. The first couple had small weepers as I figured out the angle, then yesterday it turned to magic. My skin or my technique seems to change once in awhile , so most of my razors I have trouble with from time to time. My 6s seems immune though. I like the look of your brush, haven't went down that rabbit hole yet lol. Three brushes ever here and my first is retired, moved to an Omega pro boar and the Jade boar from Cannought shaving.

Stay out of the brush hole as long as you can man; once I went down I bought maybe 15 in a year. Was way too many, but I ended up figuring out what I liked and was able to minimize (for me) down to about 9 that I really love the knots on. It was a deep hole and cost me close to a thousand dollars lol.

A great review. It definitely is one of the best modern SEs in the market. a very comfortable and smooth razor indeed.

Agreed. I had my doubts about this blade type but I should have just trusted Shane. Dude knows what he’s doing for sure. @Blackland Razors

5AB9A956-A4C5-4F09-BFFA-7C5C32C5655F.jpeg

Shave #4 in the books.

This was on par with yesterday’s shave; now that I’ve found an angle to work with I’m more comfortable using different soaps.

Man I am close and SMOOOTH.

I could see using this as a daily driver, it’s that good and once you get an angle that works for you, it’s a pretty easygoing shave. I didn’t feel like I was going to cut myself at all today.

I DO feel a little abraded, like I could have gone slower and had more of an optimal angle; I remember this feeling from learning to use the Blackbird, so no big deal. I’ll get used to the razor and get better with it and that feeling will go away, pretty sure it’s a matter of letting the razor do the work and cutting pressure down to nothing, that’s what happened with the BB.

All in all, 9.5/10

Great review, as always! Been keeping my eye out since seeing you picked one up. Look forward to your thoughts on the vector! Blackland does make some beautiful razors... can't wait for the official release of the Tradere!

Great review, as always! Been keeping my eye out since seeing you picked one up. Look forward to your thoughts on the vector! Blackland does make some beautiful razors... can't wait for the official release of the Tradere!

Dude same here. Don’t think I’ll snag one right away but yeah I’m excited and have been for a minute.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
My Blackland Sabre Level 2 and my GEM Featherweight Deluxe and my two favorite GEM-style razors.

The Sabre is more efficient. The Featherweight Deluxe is more "Tech like".

I love to shave with both of these razors! :)

YMMV :)

Back again with another patented Noob Shaver Review for the shaving homies.

If you read these threads:

then you know where I'm at. Let's get to this shall we?

Buddy is a Blackland fanboy, and turned me into one as well. I have the Blackbird and the Sabre...had the Dart but sold it because it was similar enough of a shave to the Blackbird that I didn't feel both were necessary, and the Vector will be here by the end of the week.

Wanted to try this format, and wanted to do it with one from my favorite razor company, hence the Sabre. 3 shaves in, feel like I'm getting a handle on it (ha) so figured I'd chuck up a short review.

First few shaves:

proxy.php

This one went pretty well, even though it felt weird....and of course I cut myself. Trying to go ATG on my neck with a new razor is a recipe for blood and I need to remember that. Other than that, good shave.

proxy.php

This one went better, no blood....but it was sort of uncomfortable. I usually try to read up on angles for razors I own but haven't tried yet, and everything I'd read about Gem razors said to keep the cap flat against my face, more or less. It's an unusual angle for me, and I didn't like it.

This morning's shave:

proxy.php

Marco method, Milksteak as it's the best 'residual slickness' soap I own, and also hey....a hangover. I wasn't really paying attention and just sort of used this like I do my DE's. I ride the bar on a lot of them, and this morning it just kind of clicked into place. Rode the bar, almost zero pressure (which I'm noticing is a thing with Blackland razors, if you own one try zero pressure and see what happens) and just let it do its thing.....went on autopilot and it worked out great. Slick awesome shave, no blood, didn't really go ATG on my neck as it was more of an angle down towards my shoulders but it worked. 10/10 for this one.

Build quality is all Blackland....this thing is perfect. More or less weighs about as much as my Blackbird, which is helpful. I didn't notice any drag, nothing I don't like about it. Damn good razor from a great company doing interesting designs here in the US. Can't help but to support that.

This is close and smooth....and I'd say efficient to a high degree. It's not mean about it; it's less aggressive right off the bat than the Blackbird was for me, either that or I'm getting better at this whole shaving thing.

For me, the Blackbird is the most efficient razor I've ever used....that thing makes my face feel like glass when I'm done shaving, so I'd call that a 10 for efficiency.

If the BB is a 10, the Sabre would be around a 9. I shaved around 8 hours ago and although the stubble is starting to come back, I'm ok with that. If I grab a BBS shave on the Blackbird I really don't need to shave for around 24 hours. This feels like it's going to be less than that, but still more efficient in this category than anything else I've used save the BB.

Looking forward to using this thing in the future and getting better with it, just as I did the Blackbird which turned out to be my favorite razor for the last 8 or so months. 2 years into this shaving journey, and no razor has lasted longer than 3 months as a favorite until that Bird came along.

All this said, I now have really high hopes for the Vector; I think given the quality of the shaves I've gotten from the Blackland stuff that the Vector is going to be outstanding as well.

Any questions feel free.

Don't SEs usually give closer longer lasting shaves than DEs? Is the BB better than the Sabre or all SEs in your opinion for that?

Don't SEs usually give closer longer lasting shaves than DEs? Is the BB better than the Sabre or all SEs in your opinion for that?

For me and my face, the BB is the king for that, man. It’s roughly 20+ hours before I can feel enough stubble to really annoy me, and I can usually go 30+ after a BBS with the Blackbird before I really have to shave.

I’ve been using the Vector the last week, and the Sabre before that and also have a Schick L type that I enjoy too; but nothing touches the Blackbird for me. It’s an amazing razor; if you haven’t tried one I highly encourage you to do so, provided your technique is on point.

Zero pressure, I can’t stress that enough.

For me and my face, the BB is the king for that, man. It’s roughly 20+ hours before I can feel enough stubble to really annoy me, and I can usually go 30+ after a BBS with the Blackbird before I really have to shave.

I’ve been using the Vector the last week, and the Sabre before that and also have a Schick L type that I enjoy too; but nothing touches the Blackbird for me. It’s an amazing razor; if you haven’t tried one I highly encourage you to do so, provided your technique is on point.

Zero pressure, I can’t stress that enough.

That's crazy. 20-30 hours without much stubble? I doubt I can ever get that with my facial hair.

Wanted to update this a little bit.

When I asked my shaving guru buddy who made me a Blackland fanboy which I should get out of the Sabre or Vector, he said “gun to my head, Sabre. Special magical shaves, one cheap good blade, awesome razor.”

I got it in, used it a few times and then the Vector showed up and blew it away for me. I’d been using carbon steel Gem blades while waiting for the Personna coated blades I’d ordered from Connaught, and they finally showed yesterday, so I used one this morning.

Night and day difference, I get it. This is a ‘special and magical’ razor, using the right blade. I’m a fan and will now switch regularly between these two.

30B0E953-C58F-4F54-BF4D-84EBF5C04A83.jpeg

If you’re on the fence, jump off now and grab this. It’s awesome.

When I asked my shaving guru buddy who made me a Blackland fanboy which I should get out of the Sabre or Vector, he said “gun to my head, Sabre. Special magical shaves, one cheap good blade, awesome razor.”

I really want to get the Sabre, just concerned about being stuck with the one blade choice.

Man I was too but those PTFE blades are amazing, man. I wouldn't worry about it. They do a fantastic job.
How many shaves do you get out of the PFTE blade as opposed to a AC blade (Kai Captain Titan Mild, Feather Pro AC, etc.)?

I have the Vector already and would be really interested in your thoughts on how the Vector compares to the Sabre (which I am interested in buying). This thread would be fine or I have created a new thread on this forum as well.

Thanks.

How many shaves do you get out of the PFTE blade as opposed to a AC blade (Kai Captain Titan Mild, Feather Pro AC, etc.)?

I have the Vector already and would be really interested in your thoughts on how the Vector compares to the Sabre (which I am interested in buying). This thread would be fine or I have created a new thread on this forum as well.

Thanks.

I can get 8-9 out of a Kai Mild, I’m working on around 15 with the PTFE blades.

I’m not super picky on blades as long as they work well; when they stop doing it or I have to work harder to get the same shave, they’re gone.

I grabbed 100 of the PTFE blades at Connaught awhile back for like $18.

I don’t know that I’d recommend going that route right now with shipping being completely screwed up; I ordered those blades and the tracking never once updated, I just got home from work one day and my wife had put them on my desk. It took 37 days for them to show.

There’s a domestic shipper that has the same deal for like $23 shipped for 100. I’d go that route if I were you.

Alternately if you grab a Sabre I could chuck some in the mail to you if you’re CONUS, just so you can see what you think. It’s a very different shave compared to the carbon steel blades you can grab at Walgreens or wherever.

As far as a comparison; for me the Vector was no trick. None whatsoever, it was a great shave the 1st time and every time after that, the angle just presented itself and I stuck with it and love it.

The Sabre I use more like a DE; I have some large back muscles and the ‘let’s keep a Gem flat against our face’ doesn’t work for me. I ride the bar and use it at a different angle than most Gem users, from what I’ve seen.

I’d say they’re around the same aggression level; if I use either early one morning I’ll need to shave again the next day, whereas with the Blackbird I’ll usually skip a day, especially if I got a bug and went for BBS. There’s just not enough hair that’s grown back that it’s uncomfortable enough for me to need to shave again.

I’m also a fan of shorter handles for almost all my razors; I use a Maggard’s MR8 for both the Vector and Sabre, they’re just less struggle that way, plus I can go ATG on my neck with a shorter handle. The only razor I use the original handle on is the Blackbird and that’s because it’s the shorter one they used to come with, the 70mm.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
I can get 8-9 out of a Kai Mild, I’m working on around 15 with the PTFE blades.

I’m not super picky on blades as long as they work well; when they stop doing it or I have to work harder to get the same shave, they’re gone.

I grabbed 100 of the PTFE blades at Connaught awhile back for like $18.

I don’t know that I’d recommend going that route right now with shipping being completely screwed up; I ordered those blades and the tracking never once updated, I just got home from work one day and my wife had put them on my desk. It took 37 days for them to show.

There’s a domestic shipper that has the same deal for like $23 shipped for 100. I’d go that route if I were you.

Alternately if you grab a Sabre I could chuck some in the mail to you if you’re CONUS, just so you can see what you think. It’s a very different shave compared to the carbon steel blades you can grab at Walgreens or wherever.

Ah ok. If I do end up ordering the Sabre, I would definitely take you up on that offer. If you can chuck some of the blades my way, it would be great. I can go ahead and order then from Connaught that way too and it will probably hold me over till they arrive. My last shipment from Connaught (Kai Titan Mild) had no tracking and it took about 3.5-4 weeks to arrive.

Can you make some shaving comparisons to the Vector for me? I already have it and love it but am curious if the shaving technique involved is completely different between the two? Also, how about closeness of shave and efficiency between the two?

Ah ok. If I do end up ordering the Sabre, I would definitely take you up on that offer. If you can chuck some of the blades my way, it would be great. I can go ahead and order then from Connaught that way too and it will probably hold me over till they arrive. My last shipment from Connaught (Kai Titan Mild) had no tracking and it took about 3.5-4 weeks to arrive.

Can you make some shaving comparisons to the Vector for me? I already have it and love it but am curious if the shaving technique involved is completely different between the two? Also, how about closeness of shave and efficiency between the two?

Yeah you quoted me as I was editing. Check my previous post, I threw some comparisons in there. Any questions, feel free to do in here or via PM.

Top Bottom