What's new

New Oumo Synthetic: Competition for the Wald?

OK! We're officially "done" with this Haslingers experiment.

I repeated my process described above, and all is good. I decided to revert back to 100 swirls of the puck (from 120), with no negative effects.

The soap goes on my face rather wet and bubbly, with no drips, and quickly develops a lather. I found myself sprinkling a bit more water on the brush to reach the right consistency - duplicating almost exactly, the technique that works with my STF.

I think I'll play with Cella Red for a bit, before returning to my old friend, the STF. I remembered that I'm not a fan of daily product (brush) switching during these experiments.

... Thom

Cella Red today. Easy-peasy based on accumulated trials and tribulations. Perhaps the slightest bit less water initially, and no need to drizzle anymore on after the the first dip.

It's time to reacquaint myself with my trusty STF. I'll report back on comparisons in a few days.

... Thom

I can call this project complete. I fired up my STF XL tonight. No surprises - same method as with the ST-1, but using less water to start with as noted above.

Splaying characteristics between the two is too close to call. There seems to be a similar break-in pattern. I have about 20 shaves on the ST-1, and I'd say that around #10, the relaxation became noticeable.

I now have two fine brushes. Given how close the two are (perhaps the STF is slightly better), I wouldn't go out of my way to order from Oumo, but with @Rudy Vey's support, having him make a handle from a knot he had on hand was a no-brainer.

Thanks again, Rudy!

... Thom

I have a dilemma. Buying an Oumo 25mm ST-1 brush for 55 usd set by Oumo or an official 25mm Xl Mühle brush? Any help apart buying both of them?

I have a dilemma. Buying an Oumo 25mm ST-1 brush for 55 usd set by Oumo or an official 25mm Xl Mühle brush? Any help apart buying both of them?
Though I've never tried the Oumo knot from what I've read its not all that close to the Wald A1 and feel the STF XL is a more popular knot but I'm sure if the Wald was more resonably priced it would be in more peoples hands right now. $200+ is a steep price for any brush but the Wald A1 isn't just any brush!! It's very unique!!

You might get a better answer from @APBinNCA as I think he has all 3...

If I were a bowl latherer, and didn't own an STF, I'd be much happier with the brush I documented earlier in this thread. It's still quite nice.

I've mastered loading it and building a proto lather with no water running down my arm, but it's still a bit touchy on this regard.

I love the handle @Rudy Vey made for it, which puts me in a bit of conflict as far as putting it up on BST. I may ask him about re-knotting it.

After break-in, it splays almost as nicely as the STF, but it still has a slight bit more "spring back" than my 25mm STF knot.

... Thom

If I were a bowl latherer, and didn't own an STF, I'd be much happier with the brush I documented earlier in this thread. It's still quite nice.

I've mastered loading it and building a proto lather with no water running down my arm, but it's still a bit touchy on this regard.

I love the handle @Rudy Vey made for it, which puts me in a bit of conflict as far as putting it up on BST. I may ask him about re-knotting it.

After break-in, it splays almost as nicely as the STF, but it still has a slight bit more "spring back" than my 25mm STF knot.

... Thom
So, thinking about my comment, it was in part due to my continuing experimentation with loading it. I thought I might have missed something, and that I could simplify loading it.

I wanted to see if I could avoid having to drizzle water once or twice during the process (this, with Haslingers Schafmilch).

It wasn't to be. I was back to having a bit of water running down the handle.

Accepting it on its own terms (my final technique posted above) works.

Do I still prefer my STF? Absolutely - both because of its softer feel as well as how easily it loads.

... Thom

So, thinking about my comment, it was in part due to my continuing experimentation with loading it. I thought I might have missed something, and that I could simplify loading it.

I wanted to see if I could avoid having to drizzle water once or twice during the process (this, with Haslingers Schafmilch).

It wasn't to be. I was back to having a bit of water running down the handle.

Accepting it on its own terms (my final technique posted above) works.

Do I still prefer my STF? Absolutely - both because of its softer feel as well as how easily it loads.

... Thom

The STF definitely behaves more like a badger in terms of holding on to water and lather.

Every other synth I've used basically leaks water and/or flings lather.

The Frank Shaving 26mm G7 is also pretty good in holding water and lather.
Not much flinging with this brush.

Closing the loop on my ST-1, I've had it since the end of October and have used it the majority of the time since then - shaving on average, 5 days/week. Let's conservatively say that I have 60-70 shaves with it, so I'll call it broken in.

It doesn't splay quite as nicely as either of my 25mm STF knots (one from Mühle with a Classic handle, and one from AP Shave Co in a Shavemac handle). My AP Shave Co STF is a recent acquisition and if anything, it's had much less opportunity to break in than the Oumo.

The ST-1 feel is close the two STFs, with the a bit more scrub, tip feel, and resistance to splay (along with "spring-back"). All in all, it's fine and I still have a marginal preference for the STF, but I can easily see where others would prefer the ST-1.

If you've followed my travails about loading the brush, know that I was closing in on the technique I use for the STF.

The difference is that both STFs as well as my AP Shave Co Synbad knots are much less hair trigger about the exact amount of water. I never experienced water running down my forearms with any of those 4 brushes.

As I noted earlier, bowl latherers won't experience nearly the level of frustration I did. You'll be building the lather in your bowl, so you won't experience water running down your forearms.

Here's my "final" technique:
  • start with a completely dry brush (no wetting, shaking, blotting dry)
  • fill a small "dipping bowl" to fingernail height (about 14mm)
  • dip the brush and begin to load off the puck
  • drizzle a touch of water 2 or 3 times during the loading process (100-120 swirls on Haslingers Shafmilch)
  • begin to face lather
The technique with Cella Red was nearly identical. I don't fiddle with soaps so that's all I have for you ;-)

The STF gathers soap off the puck much more easily, and I have to compensate with the ST-1 with those extra drizzles while loading.

With both brushes, I find myself hydrating the lather anywhere from 1 to 3 times (while building it on my face) by dipping the tips in the dipping bowl (about half depth - 7mm).

So, after a steep learning curve (lather running down my forearms), I've finally figured this brush out and it's fine.

From what I've read here and elsewhere, I think the ST-1 cures any curiosity I might have had for a G5C, as I understand that the G5C is more splay-resistant, and the ST-1 is already a bit too resistant for my taste.

... Thom

Last edited:
Here's my "final" technique:
  • start with a completely dry brush (no wetting, shaking, blotting dry)
  • fill a small "dipping bowl" to fingernail height (about 14mm)
  • dip the brush and begin to load off the puck
  • drizzle a touch of water 2 or 3 times during the loading process (100-120 swirls on Haslingers Shafmilch)
  • begin to face lather
Well I have been using mine consistently once a week and had been meaning to come up with some kind of update, but it looks like you saved me the trouble! That's pretty much been my technique from the beginning with it, only deviating in order to push the envelope and see what happens. I do want to add a note that the resistance should actually be lower due to the fan knot so the fact that it's higher makes it doubly so in my book. It's manageable, it's not my favourite thing.

Well I have been using mine consistently once a week and had been meaning to come up with some kind of update, but it looks like you saved me the trouble! That's pretty much been my technique from the beginning with it, only deviating in order to push the envelope and see what happens. I do want to add a note that the resistance should actually be lower due to the fan knot so the fact that it's higher makes it doubly so in my book. It's manageable, it's not my favourite thing.
This was my first fan knot, and I expected a friendlier splay. Manageable is a good way of putting it ... damning with faint praise, I suppose.

If it wasn't for the combination of Rudy's way cool handle, and the fact that I wanted to give it a good break-in, I likely wouldn't have used it nearly as much as I have been.

... Thom

(100-120 swirls on Haslingers Shafmilch)
:yikes: OMG, I have thought at times I tend to overload from my Stirling and Ethos soaps until I read this!! I'd say on average I swirl a maximum of 30 times on Stirling and maybe 20 on Ethos, yet I'm always amazed by how much lather I squeeze out of my brush knot when cleaning it up after I shave and always say I need to start swirling less but, 100-120 swirls would probably be a weeks worth of lather for me.

Glad to hear you finally have figuered out the ST-1 and that was a great review and now I am greatful that PP declined the sale when I went to buy one as I'm sure it would've been a wasted purchase for me. I'll stick to my STF, Calyx, and 3 TNS brushes for now...

:yikes: OMG, I have thought at times I tend to overload from my Stirling and Ethos soaps until I read this!! I'd say on average I swirl a maximum of 30 times on Stirling and maybe 20 on Ethos, yet I'm always amazed by how much lather I squeeze out of my brush knot when cleaning it up after I shave and always say I need to start swirling less but, 100-120 swirls would probably be a weeks worth of lather for me.

Glad to hear you finally have figuered out the ST-1 and that was a great review and now I am greatful that PP declined the sale when I went to buy one as I'm sure it would've been a wasted purchase for me. I'll stick to my STF, Calyx, and 3 TNS brushes for now...
The Haslingers is a hard soap. If recall, I load Cella with about half to two thirds that many swirls.

Load it like ya hate it ;-)

... Thom

Top Bottom