What's new

New Wilkinson Sword brush….am I just a cheap date?

I regularly use the Wilkinson Sword Classic Boar brush. It's not bad, but it has splayed in some odd ways, and takes an age to dry. For the price though, it's decent enough, although these days I prefer synthetic knots.

All I can add is that I use both the Wilkinson “boar” (which may be a mixture of various types of bristles. I don’t know for sure) and the Wilkinson synthetic. They both work well for me.

BTW, I don’t know if the Wilkinson synthetic can really be thought of as something new. I have worn down and disposed of at least two Wilkinson synthetics over the past few years. I found that one retail outlet (a large grocery store chain) has one type and another (a large pharmacy/retail chain) carries the other. I don’t know about Walmart as I seldom go there.
I really liked the Wilkinson synthetics but found over time they would wear down in the middle. Not knowing at the time that Wilkinson made a boar brush, I bought a new Wilkinson brush without really looking at what I was buying. When I went to use it and found it was a “boar” rather than a synthetic, I decided to give it a try. Being used to the synthetic version it took some time to “break in” the boar and get used to it. Now I like it and use it more than the synthetic, and it is holding up well.

One more thing. Another pharmacy chain near me sells one type of Omega brush. I had the opportunity to feel the bristles. It must be Omega’s bottom-of-the-line model as to me it felt rather stiff and rougher than my Wilkinson boar. I know Omega does make some highly regarded products.
I am sure this all part of personal preference, and I am glad we have such a wide range of choices in stores and online.
I also picked up an Every Man Jack Cruelty-Free synthetic with a wood grain handle discounted ($7.29 Canadian) at yet another pharmacy chain. Feels really nice to the touch but I probably won’t use it until the synthetic I am currently using wears out (which may be a long time from now). At these prices, and with what I have being more than sufficient for my needs, I don’t see myself purchasing a more expensive shaving brush or knot.

One more thing. Another pharmacy chain near me sells one type of Omega brush. I had the opportunity to feel the bristles. It must be Omega’s bottom-of-the-line model as to me it felt rather stiff and rougher than my Wilkinson boar…

I think I know the ones you mean. A few stores are stuck with maybe 15 year old pink Omegas made for a breast cancer campaign. I believe the fibers are nylon; fibers almost feel like fishing line.

I think I know the ones you mean. A few stores are stuck with maybe 15 year old pink Omegas made for a breast cancer campaign. I believe the fibers are nylon; fibers almost feel like fishing line.
I think I confused my recollection of the Omega with that of a generic drug store brand brush I found that was on the shelf beside it. The generic one (not an Omega) was rough and stiff. I took another look the other day. The Omega brush appears to be better quality, at least as far as I could see through the packaging.
The Omega brush I was thinking of is not the pink one. It has a light colored handle (close to a light, white pine shade I think) and its bristles are fine. However, it is more expensive than the Wilkinson brushes (boar or synthetic) I have purchased.

Last edited:
BTW, I don’t know if the Wilkinson synthetic can really be thought of as something new. I have worn down and disposed of at least two Wilkinson synthetics over the past few years. I found that one retail outlet (a large grocery store chain) has one type and another (a large pharmacy/retail chain) carries the other. I don’t know about Walmart as I seldom go there.
I really liked the Wilkinson synthetics but found over time they would wear down in the middle. Not knowing at the time that Wilkinson made a boar brush, I bought a new Wilkinson brush without really looking at what I was buying. When I went to use it and found it was a “boar” rather than a synthetic, I decided to give it a try. Being used to the synthetic version it took some time to “break in” the boar and get used to it. Now I like it and use it more than the synthetic, and it is holding up well.
I pulled out the stub of an old Wilkinson brush I kept for cleaning things like car vents. It was one of my previous two. I had not thrown it out, but instead kept it for that purpose. The logo is very faded but is definitely the same, and in the same place on the handle, as that on the new Wilkinson synthetic I have, and the handle itself is that of a Wilkinson synthetic, not a Wilkinson boar (or "Classic"). However, I think I can still make out a faint remainder of a dark band around the stub near at position it would be if the brush was new. I vaguely recall it may have had such a band. The bristles are much softer than those of the Wilkinson boar I have, even accounting for wear. Yet, they are not quite as soft as my current Wilkinson synthetic, although they certainly seem to be synthetic.
At this point I simply don't know exactly what sort of bristles were in the Wilkinson brushes I used in the past.

I have one of the current ones (all blond) and the previous version as well. I use them when travelling and do not want to worry about a brush being left behind, or stolen by room cleaners. Punch above their price... can't say that. Do they get the job done? Sure, they do alright.

…or does it hit above its weight class?

Been exclusively an Omega boar guy for the past decade, and became synthetic curious. Initially ordered an Omega S-brush the same knot size of my boar, but it arrived with a damaged handle and was returned.

So, as a lark, I purchased this brush for about $8 Canadian at a local Walmart a few months ago.

Its the new blond ones (not to be confused with the old, common imitation badger bristle) Made in Germany by Edgewell in 2022 (Prod02.06.2022 MA).

picture from amazon:
sorry for the size of pic

proxy.php

Visually, with its plastic handle and hair bulb with a flat spot on the side, it’s not pretty at all. Performance wise, I‘m surprised to say that I really like it. It’s soft, has good backbone, doesn’t smell, doesn’t need soaking, and dries really fast. There is a bit of a learning curve when adding water, but that’s to be expected.

I’m a convert.

Would be interested to hear from the guys that own a large collection of synthetics, what they think of this brush and what it compares to in terms of performance. Any idea what generation of fibers this brush uses?

Brush is tool that make lather, it put lather in face.

You brush does it’s job, do you need a pricy brush?

Maybe but not nessessary.

Yaqi sell seconds. They are fine for price.

Many $7.00🥳

Handle reminds me of:
SP.jpg

But if it works for you?

By the way, I am a pepper man....don't need the salt..
Wait, a salt and pepper shave soap!

If you are not having fun, you are doing it wrong....

Or Right, with no fun...

BFX

I think I confused my recollection of the Omega with that of a generic drug store brand brush I found that was on the shelf beside it. The generic one (not an Omega) was rough and stiff. I took another look the other day. The Omega brush appears to be better quality, at least as far as I could see through the packaging.
The Omega brush I was thinking of is not the pink one. It has a light colored handle (close to a light, white pine shade I think) and its bristles are fine. However, it is more expensive than the Wilkinson brushes (boar or synthetic) I have purchased.
I looked online. I think the light-colored handle is beech.

Top Bottom