What's new

New Oumo Synthetic: Competition for the Wald?

I saw a brief mention on another forum and found this. Oumo's new "Super Fiber" ST-1 synthetic. Question: have they learned a lesson from their problematic Sparrow S-1, and can the ST-1 now actually compete with the Wald A1? (Is it the Wald fiber?)

Ordered a 25mm fan, let's see how this goes...
(I hope I hate it compared to my Wald)

Oumo mentioned some characteristics about this new knot that made me think of the A1, even though its name and looks might suggest STF. So I don't know where they're actually going with this. I hope I didn't mislead, and thought it interesting enough to post anyway.

Oumo mentioned some characteristics about this new knot that made me think of the A1, even though its name and looks might suggest STF. So I don't know where they're actually going with this. I hope I didn't mislead, and thought it interesting enough to post anyway.
It sounds to me like they have had this cooking in the background since before the Sparrow, if you can believe anything they say. If that's the case then the Sparrow was just a typical reaction to come out with something to compete while they finished their own original design.

I posted the patent because it specifically mentions the hydroscopic characteristic, like natural fibres without the drying time. I am glad that you posted because it is my kind of thing and price point and I have a Wald to compare to. I chose 25mm because it's the smallest size that still offers a good selection of handles, 27mm is probably too close to my Wald.

I tried to order one of these knots yesterday and strangely PayPal wouldn't let the transaction go through. I've only had that happen once before and not so strangely it was with a Chinese company, so I'm taking that as a sign that I really don't need one!!

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
I tried to order one of these knots yesterday and strangely PayPal wouldn't let the transaction go through. I've only had that happen once before and not so strangely it was with a Chinese company, so I'm taking that as a sign that I really don't need one!!
1695508145033.gif

I mean based off the way most brushes work...one of the mega manufacturers out of China probably already makes Walds fibres. I believe Yaqi even set up a plant in Germany for their G5 fibres. Its not too much of a leap. For what its worth I am very happy with my Oumo brush, they definitely make some great stuff. Following with interest!

I mean based off the way most brushes work...one of the mega manufacturers out of China probably already makes Walds fibres. I believe Yaqi even set up a plant in Germany for their G5 fibres. Its not too much of a leap. For what its worth I am very happy with my Oumo brush, they definitely make some great stuff. Following with interest!
Wasn't aware that Yaqi had any G5 fibered brushes nor a plant in Germany, can you provide where this info came from? As far as I know as to what has been discussed to date is APShaveCo and Maggard have G5 fiber brushes and Frank Shaving has what they call G5/G7 fibered brushes. I know APShaveCo fibers are made in Germany but Maggard doesn't list a country of origin for theirs. FS lists China for theirs. As to where Jannick sources his fibers from hasn't been made public as far as I know and there's been plenty of discussion on it here on B&B and on a couple other forums.

Wasn't aware that Yaqi had any G5 fibered brushes nor a plant in Germany, can you provide where this info came from? As far as I know as to what has been discussed to date is APShaveCo and Maggard have G5 fiber brushes and Frank Shaving has what they call G5/G7 fibered brushes. I know APShaveCo fibers are made in Germany but Maggard doesn't list a country of origin for theirs. FS lists China for theirs. As to where Jannick sources his fibers from hasn't been made public as far as I know and there's been plenty of discussion on it here on B&B and on a couple other forums.
I need to make a correction, Yaqi's is called G4. When I purchased my brush (~2 years ago) from them, they said in the info section that it was manufactured from a newly established German factory.

Ordered a 25mm fan, let's see how this goes...
(I hope I hate it compared to my Wald)

Looking forward to reading your thoughts on this.

Looking forward to reading your thoughts on this.
I was a little worried after jumping on it so fast when it was mentioned above that there are going to be two new knots. After combing the website, it appears that the other one has been giving them trouble since the beginning of the year and I don't see what benefit it could have(aside from the weird colours). I just hope they don't go crazy and make this one un-splayable... or maybe I do because I am looking at a couple other handles they have!

I need to stay out of the brush forum...I have no interest in this new knot but going to their website, I found a handle I really liked and found a knot that I really hope I like... neither was cheap lol. Armor in anodized titanium and the Emperor silvertip.
Ha! The only thing that stopped me from nearly the exact combination was the lack of a 25mm knot available, don't need any more big'ns. That's a pretty spendy combo, but cheap compared to some others in titanium. Hope it works out for you!

Not to say that Oumo doesn't have some good-looking choices in handles and knots. I like the shape of Oumo's Compass handle, for example. But I could care less about a coin in the base, most of their color choices are too wild for my tastes, which are very conservative, and their knots are an unknown (to me). Rudy Vey can probably make one similar with a knot and color of my choice, so I'd take that route first.

Ha! The only thing that stopped me from nearly the exact combination was the lack of a 25mm knot available, don't need any more big'ns. That's a pretty spendy combo, but cheap compared to some others in titanium. Hope it works out for you!
I would have probably ordered the one with the ironwood handle and titanium collar but 30mm is definitely too big for me. I like the description of the emperor knot, hope it is accurate. I seriously considered a boar knot, actually.

More thab I'd like to spend on a brush, but I so rarely see brushes I really like that I decided to take a chance.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Got a couple knots in. First impression: not close to Wald at all, looks more like the Muehle STF fiber.
Bulb is more like a rounded fan, not bulb-like at all. Measured a few fibers with a micrometer:
Wald: 0.06/0.07 mm
Muehle: 0.09/0.10 mm
Oumo: 0.12/0.14 mm
Quite a difference....
Shave test tomorrow, will report back here.

Rudy Vey

So, I did use it for my shave this morning. Definitely not a Wald clone for sure. However, it feels and also looks very much like the Muehle STF. One little difference to the original STF is that it does not splay as easy as the original, but splays much better than the Sparrow knot. But, in all a pretty good knot and since it comes in many size I would say they will sell a few.
Will use the brush now a few more days.

So, I did use it for my shave this morning. Definitely not a Wald clone for sure. However, it feels and also looks very much like the Muehle STF. One little difference to the original STF is that it does not splay as easy as the original, but splays much better than the Sparrow knot. But, in all a pretty good knot and since it comes in many size I would say they will sell a few.
Will use the brush now a few more days.
Let us know pls the best settings according to your likening.

Rudy Vey

Here is the brush, I just had this handle laying around, so I set the knot in this one. Loft is what I would set the Muehle STF at, 54/55. Maybe it could be set a tad higher, say 55/56 as the knot is also a bit bigger than the STF. It is definitely a copy of the Muehle synthetic and not of the Wald.
Oumo Syn.jpg

Top Bottom