What's new

New Oumo Synthetic: Competition for the Wald?

I have been using mine since Monday, it was a special order for a Spanish Wetshaving forum, SCNHG, with a 26mm Fan knot, and I agree with the comparison with the Mühle SFT XL, but for me with more backbone, which I prefer, after a few uses it splays very well and I’m very impressed overall with this Oumo knot and also with the packaging and the quality of the handle.

View attachment 1732870

View attachment 1732871

View attachment 1732872
Is it possible to order this knot with a handle set directly from oumo? I can't find a brush with this knot at oumo website.

Is it possible to order this knot with a handle set directly from oumo? I can't find a brush with this knot at oumo website.
I don't know the answer, but I'm getting a Oumo fan knot set by @Rudy Vey in one of his handles.

We're working through the details. I'm waiting for him to complete his loft experiments before we finalize the design. I think he has one bulb available.

As soon as I get a photo, I'll post it here.

... Thom

With Oumo you generally buy the handle and knot separately and they will set the knot in the handle for you. You can add a message if you have any special requirements, or just to tell them to set the knot for you if it puts your mind at rest (though they do it automatically when you order a handle and a knot). I haven’t purchased from Oumo for some time but I always found Carry was extremely responsive and very much a can-do guy when it comes to any ideas or requests you have.

It all seems a bit confusing on the website, and the English translations aren’t perfect, but Oumo is much easier to deal with than you might expect. If you aren’t sure of anything just message them and they will help you out.

With Oumo you generally buy the handle and knot separately and they will set the knot in the handle for you. You can add a message if you have any special requirements, or just to tell them to set the knot for you if it puts your mind at rest (though they do it automatically when you order a handle and a knot). I haven’t purchased from Oumo for some time but I always found Carry was extremely responsive and very much a can-do guy when it comes to any ideas or requests you have.

It all seems a bit confusing on the website, and the English translations aren’t perfect, but Oumo is much easier to deal with than you might expect. If you aren’t sure of anything just message them and they will help you out.
Nice to know. Thanks for the detailed information. Unfortunately I can't locate this knot on aliexpress site. I will contact them.

Here is the brush, I just had this handle laying around, so I set the knot in this one. Loft is what I would set the Muehle STF at, 54/55. Maybe it could be set a tad higher, say 55/56 as the knot is also a bit bigger than the STF. It is definitely a copy of the Muehle synthetic and not of the Wald.View attachment 1732046
Hi Rudy,

Do you find it close to the Mühle or not really in how it lathers and feels?

Best regards,

Mike

Just tried the Oumo combo with one of their handles. Got the price of 90 usd without shipping. Hmmm... I am having second thoughts now about getting one.

Just tried the Oumo combo with one of their handles. Got the price of 90 usd without shipping. Hmmm... I am having second thoughts now about getting one.
At those prices, you should talk to Rudy. I'll bet there's less than a $10 difference in the delivered price (don't quote me, however), and no messing with potential import snafus and such.

Seconds ago, I finalized my order with him for a fan with a 55mm tall Tulip handle in jade. I think he has one bulb/hybrid knot left.

Can you tell that I'm psyched?

... Thom

Yes. In my case it was a group buy from a Spanish Wet Shaving Forum (SCNHG), the total cost was 60USD, more or less 58€ (I live in Portugal/Europe), knot+handle+shipping, the shipping was more or less two weeks from China to Portugal.

On the way from Rudy:
  • 25mm Oumo Fan (actual 27mm)
  • Tulip handle (55mm)
  • Set at 54mm
We were initially going to set it at 56-57. Rudy's take was to revert to 54.

Uncharted territory for me but I agree with 54.

... Thom

1000001005.jpg

Hope this works out for you Thom. I don't know why that knot looks different than mine, it might be the rubber bands Rudy uses when glueing the knot. I need to get a measurement of the loft on mine, but I think it's pretty similar.
This is the photo of the test fit at 54, before gluing the knot in place. I don't think that makes a difference, but it's worth mentioning.

Perhaps Oumo bores a slightly smaller or larger diameter hole?

Also, I'll bet it's a camera angle/parallax/focal length thing, as the 54mm knot appears to be longer than the 55mm handle in Rudy's photo.
Oumo, at what height do you normally glue the tuft? 55mm
I'm tempted to order one,but not Fan but Bulb
As of yesterday, Rudy had one bulb looking for a home. Jus sayin' :straight:

... Thom

Last edited:

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
This is the photo of the test fit at 54, before gluing the knot in place. I don't think that makes a difference, but it's worth mentioning.

Perhaps Oumo bores a slightly smaller or larger diameter hole?

Also, I'll bet it's a camera angle/parallax/focal length thing, as the 54mm knot appears to be longer than the 55mm handle in Rudy's photo.

As of yesterday, Rudy had one bulb looking for a home. Jus sayin' :straight:

... Thom
no, the bulb is already spoken for

Hope this works out for you Thom. I don't know why that knot looks different than mine, it might be the rubber bands Rudy uses when glueing the knot. I need to get a measurement of the loft on mine, but I think it's pretty similar.
How about some number:

Handle exit: 28mm, but there is quite a bit of room(maybe 27mm actual)
Loft: 53mm
Dry crown spread: about 80mm or so
Weight: 99g total(heavy)

I have my G5C in hand, a 24mm, and have been comparing the two. The two biggest observations are that the G5C is lower density regardless of knot size and the fibres are noticeably springy as I remembered. In use, these two characteristics cancel each other out and provide good splay. The crown spread is just barely 75mm and I suspect the 26mm version would match the ST-1 in this measurement and provide more density because it is designed to fit in this handle that I have a 24mm. While the G5C doesn't feel like it would benefit from any more loft, the ST-1 definitely does. Dry, it bends and contorts the same way as it does with lather and has to be forced to keep it splayed. Yet the fibres aren't nearly as springy, they can be hand shaped like a badger knot. I would like 2 more mm, but that would be pricey to accomplish. I am reluctantly coming around to understanding Rudy's recommendations for synthetic knot loft, I was imposing my badger knot understanding in the past because I was afraid of getting a mop.

Top Bottom