What's new

New gd 207 with goldwash

Right. A secondary bevel. I believe that his investigations are what led Zowada to use tape to create a secondary bevel on his razors.

I just looked up the Feather site. It is actually a TRIPLE bevel!

Interesting info you've found there! I think you're right in that his angle isn't including the ~1 micron microbevel.

Wrt. your earlier mention of Tim Zowada using a laser to determine the final bevel angle - do you have a link to that? When I go to his site, it looks like the navbar links to technical stuff got lost in a site redesign.

Here's another one they showed us. $6 US plus ship. I will post links when they are available View attachment 656637

I can't see it too clearly, but it kind of looks like they've cleaned up the heel a bit here by introducing a radius that removes some of the stabilizer.

Interesting info you've found there! I think you're right in that his angle isn't including the ~1 micron microbevel.

Wrt. your earlier mention of Tim Zowada using a laser to determine the final bevel angle - do you have a link to that? When I go to his site, it looks like the navbar links to technical stuff got lost in a site redesign.

I can't see it too clearly, but it kind of looks like they've cleaned up the heel a bit here by introducing a radius that removes some of the stabilizer.
Appears that way. But until you have a few in your hand anything is possible. I'm sure they will get it eventually. The major talking points about gds are the heel. If they solve that then they can be mainstream with decent scales and imo a home run. But we wait and see what they come up with. Their grinders I'm sure are.gaining experience. So that will come into play as well I'm sure.

Obviously you've seen a lot more GDs than I have - do you think the symmetry of the hollow grind is trending up or down?

It appears the article was lost with his new site redesign.

Obviously you've seen a lot more GDs than I have - do you think the symmetry of the hollow grind is trending up or down?

There is no trend.

Gold Dollars just ARE.

Some are better than others, it's a luck of the draw. But 99.5% are easily remedied.

It's harder to grind a hollow ground than a 1/4 hollow or other heavier grind. That's why lot of razors are made with a heavier grind. I personally don't think grind makes one bit of difference in the shave. Different weight and feelback etc bUT I'm happy to say I don't own one wedge or heavy grind. Had tons of them that I don't have anymore. Jmo.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
I'd rather have one without the overground heel, heck with the decoration. Better scales would be the next improvement - I put a 208 into some old Palisander scales which are 'stocky' compared to everything else and it made a great improvement.

Cheers, Steve

It's harder to grind a hollow ground than a 1/4 hollow or other heavier grind. That's why lot of razors are made with a heavier grind. I personally don't think grind makes one bit of difference in the shave. Different weight and feelback etc bUT I'm happy to say I don't own one wedge or heavy grind. Had tons of them that I don't have anymore. Jmo.

I have been wondering. Wouldn't a frameback (like this) be a lot easier to do in mass production?

I'm looking forward to the reports on this one, at any rate. I'm not a huge fan of gold wash personally, but I do love me my GDs and ZYs :)

Even my terribad GD300 has a special place in my heart. It was my first razor!

$gd69.jpg
Here the latest

Classic quality!

I am totally getting one if they pull a ZY and fix the heel. I mean I am probably getting one regardless of course but that would be extra bonus points.

This version definitely looks better than the original one shown. Less gold wash and the scales really looks good. This might be one where I won't take apart and just give it a good hone and use it. I agree with Stoop that it would be great if they take care of the heel like ZY did.

Just noticed that the model numbers are different between the first picture and this one. First pic showed GD207 and this one is R69, and with the other gold wash one I found on ebay, is this the new direction GD is going forward with to compete with ZY?

Last edited:
I spoke to the guy. He says that zy blanks are made by gd. They are then reground by the other company. I have no idea but it seems that they are looking to expand on their line. When and if any of them hit the market i have no idea. These are i think prototypes. Im sure some will though. I guess we will wait and see.

I spoke to the guy. He says that zy blanks are made by gd. They are then reground by the other company. I have no idea but it seems that they are looking to expand on their line. When and if any of them hit the market i have no idea. These are i think prototypes. Im sure some will though. I guess we will wait and see.

While I think that these are much better looking GD razors, I also think they should look at improving the blade design first. The fact that they make blanks for ZY who then regrinds them and competes directly with them, should be a message to the GD folks. It is just typical of modern day marketing to improve on a product by making it look nicer and not really making it better.

I agree they can and should be improved. But it has been very easy adapting my honing to gds. 15 seconds on a dremel is all thats needed to trim the heel slightly. Not making excuses for them though. I can hone one out of the box with no dremel or other in about 6.minutes or less.

I did some random browsing and ended up on the GD alibaba page (wholesale).
Seems like they already offer the 220 model, posted here on the 2nd page.
GD 220
There seems to be another new model that we heven't seen on here yet. I like it lol.
GD R70
proxy.php

Top Bottom